Gransnet forums

News & politics

BMJ article claims state corruption on a grand scale is harmful to public health

(24 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 27-Jan-21 10:28:57

The coronavirus pandemic has “unleashed state corruption on a grand scale” that is “harmful to public health”, a scathing editorial in medical journal the BMJ has said.

In an unusually political intervention for the highly-respected scientific publication, it warns that politicians are “suppressing science” and accuses the government of “opportunistic embezzlement”.

“The pandemic has revealed how the medical-political complex can be manipulated in an emergency – a time when it is even more important to safeguard science,” the article – penned by executive editor Kamran Abbasi – says.

www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/bmj-lashes-out-at-uk-state-corruption-and-suppression-of-science/16/11/?fbclid=IwAR1EVc-JCwuHvZaWwf-cFHp35MwaIs00usaxTMwPXedTawjwjZfyXzXJPXI#.X90jjsGsK7N.facebook

DillytheGardener Wed 27-Jan-21 10:34:17

Sickening. I voted for this government and feel completely had. I really thought they were going to shake things up, but instead they have lined their mates/donors pockets instead. I dread to think how much this is going to cost to repay the debt incurred.

NotSpaghetti Wed 27-Jan-21 10:49:40

I think I read about this before Christmas..
Has it come up again?

Niobe Wed 27-Jan-21 10:54:52

Sickening! I do hope people remember the actions of Boris and his cronies when the inevitable Post Pandemic enquiry is underway and when the next elections take place.

Daisymae Wed 27-Jan-21 10:59:43

I haven't read it before. I think that it highlights what a lot of people are feeling and gives some credible explanation. Conflicting interests, lack of transparency, following the science etc.

Daisymae Wed 27-Jan-21 11:01:04

Expect that any enquiry will last for years. They will be hoping that people will have moved on by then. They're probably right.

GagaJo Wed 27-Jan-21 11:01:42

It isn't anything we haven't all been saying. Test and trace, PPE contracts etc.

I think the reason Boris has been told to apologise for over 100K deaths is because he is about to get pushed out of his position by his party.

Mollygo Wed 27-Jan-21 11:10:02

The pandemic has certainly highlighted the opportunities mentioned by the OP.
In previous years and with previous governments, there was never such scrutiny or so many details ‘leaked’ on such a regular basis.
This government has a lot to answer for, and should be called to account, but sadly, I’m sure it’s been going on in all government parties for a long time and will continue in the future, whichever government is in power.

Daisymae Wed 27-Jan-21 11:15:25

I think that Johnson is on the way out too. The cabinet could do with some reinforcement.

MaizieD Wed 27-Jan-21 11:25:31

I’m sure it’s been going on in all government parties for a long time and will continue in the future, whichever government is in power.

I think you are probably wrong. I am sure that there has always been some small scale corruption, it's regrettable but some people are just like that, but if it is discovered there are usually consequences.

This government has indulged in corruption on large scale, not only in connection with covid contracts, and has been completely indifferent to being called out on it. With a system that depends on Ministers and MPs behaving 'honourably', with no actual sanctions for being 'dishonourable', the tories have shown that they can ignore anything at all in the way of corrupt practice because there is no actual real punishment if they don't do the 'honourable' thing.

Now that Johnson has told us that he takes full responsibility for 100,000 deaths the honourable thing would be for him to resign. But of course he doesn't intend to do that because he doesn't actually take any responsibility and he's just crying crocodile tears.

EllanVannin Wed 27-Jan-21 11:29:29

The Shadow Health Secretary, Jonathan Ashworth is the only person who's spoken sense all along and sadly he's been a lonely voice in a crowd---but I would vote for this man.

He's a good speaker and one for the people, who'd listened to what the scientists had to say and would have adhered to the rules which were put out last year without question.

MaizieD Wed 27-Jan-21 11:41:48

Daisymae

I think that Johnson is on the way out too. The cabinet could do with some reinforcement.

The whole cabinet needs to be on the way out. There's a singular lack of talent. They were chosen for their adherence to the 'Get Brexit done' message rather than for actual ability...

Trouble is, there doesn't seem to be much on the backbenches, either.

25Avalon Wed 27-Jan-21 12:23:00

Boris was elected to “Get Brexit Done” and it has long been my opinion that once that was achieved Boris would be gone within 6 months. We shall see.

biba70 Wed 27-Jan-21 21:43:32

Yes, I think you are right. But I shudder to think who will replace him. Most in the Cabinet are either totally incompetent or worse- or ERG with a sole aim. let the Deal fail, blame the EU and go for No Deal- their aim all along.

Dangerous and scary times.

Grany Wed 27-Jan-21 22:23:33

The Good Law Project

They’re going to court on February 3rd to challenge the Government’s failure to disclose details of its spending on contracts related to the pandemic.

The Good Law Project have revealed that over £4 billion of contracts are still hidden, with the Government “refusing to publish whole categories of contracts”, including those of significant agencies like Public Health England and relating to procurement of vital PPE for NHS staff

M0nica Wed 27-Jan-21 23:27:13

Curiously, I do not think this government at heart is any more corrupt than any other, but I do think they are casual disorganised and do not think anything through. I do not remember anytime in the past having a government of any political persuasion that was so manifestly not up to the job, so poorly led and with such low calibre ministers.

Their reaction, faced with this crisis, was not to pause, think and act in a planned and systematic way, they simply went mad ringing everyone and anyone who they thought could get them out of the mess they were in. In this situation every pig who thought he could get his head in the trough went out to do so. They were rushing round like headless chickens, giving contracts here there and everywhere to any one who could spin a good tale about instant delivery. There was a total lack of due diligence, good governance, and proper financial control. They could not see, that even at times of plague, that is essential.

I sometimes wonder if many of the government refusals'to produce information is because they actually do not know and the purpose of the refusal is to try to cover up their own complete lack of control over government contracts.

Boris Johnson's hero is said to be Winston Churchill. I
suspect he thinks his very spotty early career is similar to his heroes and that at this time of crisis he is acting in the same way, but his career and management when faced by a crisis could not be more different. Boris Johnson, is no Winston Churchill.

Daisymae Thu 28-Jan-21 07:00:17

Monica - casual and disorganised hits the nail right on the head. Cummings always wanted to shake things up and be marked as a maverick. Just look at the consequences.

Grany Fri 29-Jan-21 16:23:48

EXPOSED: Freedom of Information Under Attack From Secret Government Unit | Mary Fitzgerald

David Lazarus
It should be a criminal act for any government contracts to be declared covered by commercial confidentiality. Any such contract should be published for anyone’s inspection.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=JMqLosnUfqg

MaizieD Fri 29-Jan-21 17:49:52

Grany

The Good Law Project

They’re going to court on February 3rd to challenge the Government’s failure to disclose details of its spending on contracts related to the pandemic.

The Good Law Project have revealed that over £4 billion of contracts are still hidden, with the Government “refusing to publish whole categories of contracts”, including those of significant agencies like Public Health England and relating to procurement of vital PPE for NHS staff

There is some doubt as to whether this will now go to Judicial Review because the government is engaged in ramping up their costs so much (to £1 million) that should the Good Law Project lose the case they would not be able to pay the govts. costs. Apparently, this is unusual for a judicial review. The GLP has asked the court for a cap on costs.

I would suggest that the GLP could crowd fund on a 'money only taken if actually needed' basis, and cover these potential potential costs. There is a great deal of public anger about these contracts. I think there could be thousands of small donors whose contributions could add up to the required sum..

More information here;

action.goodlawproject.org/civicrm/mailing/view?reset=1&id=51c39f484f367064

Dinahmo Fri 29-Jan-21 18:23:16

I don't think previous governments have behaved quite like the current one. I suspect that we would have heard rumours of major corruption and cronyism. I say this because over the years I've heard rumours of which MPS were gay and which were "serial shaggers". I'm sure others have too.

I think that Johnson was on a high when he won the election. Thousands of people thought he was wonderful and funny having seen him on HIGNFY and thousands of others thought that " he'd see us alright".

Bearing his popularity in mind when he became PM he doesn't want to lose it and that is why we've had all the delays and U-turns that we've had over he last 10 months or so.

I think some GNers are going to get bored with those of us who will be repeating his errors ad infinitum until the next election. I cannot feel sorry for him - he behaved in a such a way as the rest of us were told not and he got sick.

varian Sat 30-Jan-21 11:27:06

It is significant that this article was published in the BMJ which is read by medical and health care professionals. Professional groups raising concerns about the way we are governed should be listened to.

During the 1980s the Royal Statistical Society criticised the number of times that the Thatcher government kept redefining unemployment as it weakened to value of official statistics. I doubt whether, at the time, many of the general public had much interest in what statisticians thought, but perhaps that is beginning to change.

Doodledog Sat 30-Jan-21 11:34:00

I hope so, varian as one of the numerous worrying things about this government is that people have been taught/encouraged/brainwashed into mistrusting experts.

When that happens, who is to be believed? We can't all be experts in everything, and we can't interpret figures about complex topics without a certain amount of expertise. If we don't trust those who can, we are left with the likes of Cummings to interpret them for us, and the implications of that are clear.

Grany Sun 31-Jan-21 10:32:54

This is worth a watch

Covid Corruption, Privileged Parasites & the Gilded Circle

www.doubledown.news/watch/2020/23/october/george-monbiot-exposes-coronavirus-corruption-at-the-heart-of-government-dido-harding

biba70 Sun 31-Jan-21 10:35:17

The BMJ for Jan has only just arrived- about 3 weeks late. Same as all post since 1.01.21 (one parcel sent by DD1 mid Dec still has not arrived)- so not had time to read.