Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meghan beats the Mail

(74 Posts)
trisher Fri 12-Feb-21 10:29:23

So Meghan Markle has won her action against the Daily Mail. The judge ruled that the publication was "manifestly excessive and hence unlawful". www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/meghan-markle-defeats-mail-sunday-19820204
It seems to be less widely publicised than one would expect. I think it's a great victory for privacy and a great restraint on papers like the Mail.

twinnytwin Fri 12-Feb-21 10:39:30

Megan's father will be disappointed as he had asked the newspaper to publish extracts from the letter to set the record straight. He said he had spoken about the letter publicly because his daughter's close friends had revealed its existence in an anonymous interview with a US magazine in which they had characterised it as a loving letter. He wanted his day in court.
I don't particularly see this as a "comprehensive win" as per the statement from Megan.
I'm sure though that the Royal Family will be pleased with this outcome.

Anniebach Fri 12-Feb-21 10:52:18

If her father tries to speak out will she sue him , wouldn’t be
surprised if she did

timetogo2016 Fri 12-Feb-21 10:56:55

Me neither Anniebach.

Peasblossom Fri 12-Feb-21 11:12:57

I think the Daily Mail is a disgrace.

Having said that I’m just wondering. Suppose you had fallen out with a member of your family and they sent you a horrible letter. Then they went round telling people that they’d tried to make it up but you’d rejected them. You’d ignored their pleas.

Would you have the right to show people the letter? What it actually said.

trisher Fri 12-Feb-21 11:13:11

Oh come on surely no one thinks the Mail didn't pay Thomas Markle a substantial amount for the story and thought they would get away with it because the RF never sues.

MissAdventure Fri 12-Feb-21 11:13:55

Good for her. smile

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Feb-21 11:14:44

Hopefully the fact that The Daily Mail has had its fingers burnt this time it may start to be more responsible in its reporting.

Lillie Fri 12-Feb-21 11:20:09

She has won and hopefully that will be the end of it.

Just as long as she doesn't use this as a springboard to start whinging every time something doesn't suit her.

To be honest to see her pop up as a news item made me realise just how irrelvant she is to people in this country now. Maybe that is the reason trisher.

Anniebach Fri 12-Feb-21 11:21:44

Why didn’t she sue her friends for discussing her private life

Callistemon Fri 12-Feb-21 11:25:30

It was on the main news, lunch-time and evening, trisher

Quite honestly, do many people care enough to want to see it on the news day after day?
None of them, Markle, his daughter or the MOS? come out of it with any dignity.

The only point of real importance is establishing who owns the copyright to a letter sent from one person to another.

That is an interesting point in law as GN claim to own the copyright of our posts.

Peasblossom Fri 12-Feb-21 11:27:02

Yes, I think it’s interesting too. Who owns a letter once it’s sent?

trisher Fri 12-Feb-21 11:28:02

Callistemon I suppose I was referring mainly to the papers. When I looked for a link only the Birmingham Mail came up!
Bit odd I thought. But you are quite right radio and TV doing a better job.

Callistemon Fri 12-Feb-21 11:28:15

The author

Callistemon Fri 12-Feb-21 11:30:01

I don't often look at the papers unless I'm looking something up of interest.

But I wasn't sufficiently interested in this! grin

Blossoming Fri 12-Feb-21 11:37:22

Good for her

eazybee Fri 12-Feb-21 11:43:37

I was surprised at the verdict, but it saves us from months and months of Meghan's 'suffering'.

One day soon this free-loading couple will wake up and realise no-one is much interested in them anymore.

MissAdventure Fri 12-Feb-21 11:44:55

But they are.
Threads about her end up huge!

Anniebach Fri 12-Feb-21 11:56:05

Hypocricts tend to cause long threads

Grany Fri 12-Feb-21 11:57:40

Glad to hear well done Meghan

Anniebach Fri 12-Feb-21 11:59:36

Strange to see you support a member of the royal family Grany

Peasblossom Fri 12-Feb-21 12:00:23

The author. Thanks.

So if someone says I sent a letter of love or whatever, you can’t refute that by showing people the letter? You wouldn’t be able to show people really nasty things they’d written? How about if they admitted in the letter to something they lied about or criminal?

GrannyLaine Fri 12-Feb-21 12:03:43

I imagine that Her Majesty will be heaving a sigh of relief that the outcome will draw a line under it.

Callistemon Fri 12-Feb-21 12:05:45

You wouldn’t be able to show people really nasty things they’d written? How about if they admitted in the letter to something they lied about or criminal?

I think you could show anybody the letter but it could not be reproduced.

NotSpaghetti Fri 12-Feb-21 12:13:26

But it's not over.
They will almost certainly appeal because if they don't it apparently sets a precedent for freedoms in future. It is a limited win because it was narrowly focused on one area apparently and didn't take "salient points" onto consideration.

I think (although certainly no supporter of the Mail), if it stands it doesn't bode well for us finding more important things out in future. Letters between ministers saying the opposite in private to public maybe, or emails and leaked papers with limited circulation. Obviously I'm meaning actual journalism here... not just junk.