Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump’s current approval rating (17 Feb 2021)

(45 Posts)
Esspee Wed 17-Feb-21 12:52:12

I was absolutely dumbfounded to read in today’s telegraph that Trump’s approval rate amongst Republicans has gone up from 74% to a whopping 81%.
Do you find this as amazing as I do?

Jane43 Fri 19-Feb-21 15:20:31

This is the link for the Newsweek article I refered to in the last post.

www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-covid-vaccine-trump-claim-fact-check-1569904

Jane43 Fri 19-Feb-21 15:17:13

It seems that Biden’s quote about there being no vaccine when he took office was taken out of context as often happens in politics. Newsweek did a fact check on this and I tried to get the link but was unable to copy it. In essence what Biden was saying was that there was no vaccine in the reserves when he took office, there were 10 million doses available but the Trump administration hadn’t purchased them. Biden should have been much clearer in what he said though because people will seize on anything to make a negative point. It was a long interview and Biden does tend to ramble.

When looking for the above I saw an interview from Doctor Fauci in which he said Trump lost all interest in dealing with Covid19 after the election which I think was apparent. He also said that Trump made many negative and incorrect remarks about him which were published in USA Today and as a result he has to have 24 hour protection which is shocking.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 14:45:22

Actually Jane43 I don’t think I’m bright enough to post cryptic comments!
?

Okay - I’ll get in first - maybe that’s why I’m another Trump supporter!

Jane43 Fri 19-Feb-21 14:43:42

Talking of being ‘mentally gone’, Steve Bannon who was one of Trump’s advisors before he was imprisoned for fraud and who was recently pardoned by Trump has gone on record as saying Trump is in the early stages of dementia. With friends like him etc etc.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 14:43:28

Well what a lovely comment from you Jane43. Thank you very much!

It’s good to put views forward and exchange thoughts without being sneered at. I do realise I’m a lone voice in my support of Trump but hey ho!
?

Jane43 Fri 19-Feb-21 14:39:49

Urmstongran

We might not like the views of the EC’s Jane (I don’t) but they do live there and they have a vote. Goes against the grain but that’s democracy for you I suppose.

And thank you polar much appreciated comment.

Absolutely agree UG, in the free world it’s right to show your views by peaceful demonstration but the hatred shown by these ECs towards women who believe in pro choice is out of order. If Trump really believed in these views as Mike Pence does I would respect him more but his only religion is making money. I’m always interested to read your views on Trump at least you don’t post cryptic messages. It takes courage to go against the majority and I respect that.

flump Fri 19-Feb-21 14:35:38

“So either not telling the truth or he’s mentally gone.” Pot, Kettle, Black comes to mind re Trump.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 14:22:33

With his impeachment trial concluded, Mr Trump’s reappearance on cable news suggests he may be preparing to resume his public profile.

Asked whether he intended to run for president again in 2024, Mr Trump suggested he had not ruled out the possibility.

“I won’t say yet, but we have tremendous support,” he told Newsmax. “It’s too early to say … but I see a lot of great polls out there.”
?

He went on to underscore the significant support he continued to command among his party’s base and appeared unfazed by his recent second impeachment.

“I’m the only one who gets impeached and my numbers go up. I mean, figure that one out,” he said.
?

Mr Trump said he had tuned into President Biden’s town hall event on Tuesday night.

During the event, Mr Biden claimed there was “nothing in the refrigerator, figuratively and literally” in terms of coronavirus vaccines. However, he later added that “there were only 50 million doses that were available ... by the end of July, we’ll have over 600 million doses”.

Mr Trump said Mr Biden himself had been vaccinated before assuming the presidency.

“So either not telling the truth or he’s mentally gone.”

Polarbear2 Fri 19-Feb-21 14:18:01

varian

More than 100,000 Republicans left the party since January

After the pro-Trump riots, more than 12,000 registered Republicans left the party in Pennsylvania, with some 33,000 leaving the GOP in California and more than 10,000 Republicans changing their affiliation in Arizona. Both Arizona and Pennsylvania were hotly contested swing states in the last election, each decided by thousands of votes.

One of those voters who changed their party affiliation was Juan Nunez, a 56-year-old Army veteran from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, who told the Times that that the insurrection "broke [his] heart" and was directly responsible for him fleeing the Republican Party.

Earlier this month, Reuters reported that several former Republican officials had said they would leave the party in the wake of the Jan. 6 attack, in which five people died. The outlet cited a number of former high-ranking officials from the George W. Bush administration who said they could no longer recognize their party and argued that current GOP lawmakers didn't do enough to denounce Trump's baseless election fraud claims. "The Republican Party as I knew it no longer exists," Jimmy Gurulé, who served as the undersecretary of the treasury for terrorism and financial intelligence under Bush, told Reuters. "I'd call it the cult of Trump."

people.com/politics/data-shows-tens-of-thousands-of-republicans-left-the-party/

Hmmm. Reminds me of something similar closer to home ???

varian Fri 19-Feb-21 13:44:28

More than 100,000 Republicans left the party since January

After the pro-Trump riots, more than 12,000 registered Republicans left the party in Pennsylvania, with some 33,000 leaving the GOP in California and more than 10,000 Republicans changing their affiliation in Arizona. Both Arizona and Pennsylvania were hotly contested swing states in the last election, each decided by thousands of votes.

One of those voters who changed their party affiliation was Juan Nunez, a 56-year-old Army veteran from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, who told the Times that that the insurrection "broke [his] heart" and was directly responsible for him fleeing the Republican Party.

Earlier this month, Reuters reported that several former Republican officials had said they would leave the party in the wake of the Jan. 6 attack, in which five people died. The outlet cited a number of former high-ranking officials from the George W. Bush administration who said they could no longer recognize their party and argued that current GOP lawmakers didn't do enough to denounce Trump's baseless election fraud claims. "The Republican Party as I knew it no longer exists," Jimmy Gurulé, who served as the undersecretary of the treasury for terrorism and financial intelligence under Bush, told Reuters. "I'd call it the cult of Trump."

people.com/politics/data-shows-tens-of-thousands-of-republicans-left-the-party/

varian Fri 19-Feb-21 13:07:15

President Biden, that is

varian Fri 19-Feb-21 13:06:52

President is a Roman Catholic who attends church religiously!

nanna8 Fri 19-Feb-21 12:33:07

In the church I used to go to about 90% of them supported Trump because he claimed to have been saved. It is a church started by Americans in Australia, Independent Baptist. They see Biden as godless and O am sure reflect the opinions of many Americans from the southern states.

varian Fri 19-Feb-21 12:19:27

At a rally in Ohio last year Trump warned a Biden presidency would mean "no religion, no anything".

"Hurt the Bible, hurt God. He's against God, he's against guns," he claimed.

But American Christianity is divided.

The Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church of the US, the Most Reverend Michael Curry, described the riots as a "coup attempt" and "deeply disturbing".

The Episcopal Bishop of Washington, the Right Reverend Mariann Budde, said the religious symbols on display were "the most heretical, blasphemous forms of Christianity".

"This has been part of our nativist, racist Christian past from the beginning," she told the Sunday programme on BBC Radio 4. "What has been different in the Trump presidency has been the legitimisation of it."

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 12:12:35

We might not like the views of the EC’s Jane (I don’t) but they do live there and they have a vote. Goes against the grain but that’s democracy for you I suppose.

And thank you polar much appreciated comment.

Polarbear2 Fri 19-Feb-21 11:50:26

Thanks for all the comments. Very interesting! Am not a fan by any stretch but respect your right to your views urms.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Feb-21 11:46:09

Urmstongran

^but I can’t think of a single democratic leader who gave him their unqualified support^

He won’t have been bothered. As long as his home fan base kept supporting him.

That is true of all authoritarian leaders and dictators, but democratic leaders understand their country’s place in the wider world and the benefit of cooperation and support.

Jane43 Fri 19-Feb-21 11:39:33

Urmstongran

70+ million voted for him polar just no-one you know. Unless they kept schtum!
?

Many of them voted for him because he was the Republican candidate, people who always voted Republican and wouldn’t contemplate voting for a Democrat, it doesn’t necessarily mean they voted for him personally.

He got the vote of the Evangelical Christians because of his stance on abortion. Luckygirl you are correct in what you say about some religions’ views on women and the ECs are a case in point. I saw a documentary in which ECs stand outside an abortion clinic every day and are absolutely disgusting in the things they say to women going inside the clinic. One man in particular was calling them wh** and threatening to do disgusting things to them. The interviewer asked his wife what she thought and she actually said her husband didn’t like her to speak, it was the man’s place to speak for her. Then he abused one of the sound team because he could tell from her dress she was a Muslim. From the way Trump has spoken about women, including his older daughter, he must feel right at home in their company.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 11:29:38

but I can’t think of a single democratic leader who gave him their unqualified support

He won’t have been bothered. As long as his home fan base kept supporting him.

MaizieD Fri 19-Feb-21 11:20:09

Nicely put, WWMk2 grin

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Feb-21 11:19:30

The astounding thing -to me- is that those willing to follow populist leaders like Trump, the Tea Party movement, or Victor Orban, or Rodrigo Dutere, etc. can be so duped by their rhetoric.

If Trump had more intelligence, I think that the USA may well have been in real trouble regarding its future, but Trump left the insurrection to the not very bright folk didn’t he? so of course it failed through lack of planning etc.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Feb-21 11:05:33

Trump’s popularity extends to other authoritarian leaders and dictators, but I can’t think of a single democratic leader who gave him their unqualified support, or even their qualified support.

It says a lot about populism and the way it manipulates the voter through division and hate. Just look at the type of individual we saw at the Capitol insurrection and Charlottesville.

Anyone willing to identify themselves with these people says a lot about their ideological stance regarded those they see as “others” and willingness to see the country as a divided and hate filled nation.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 10:24:37

I suppose 74 million people would be able to say why Luckygirl. He appeals to many and in fact, post Capitol Hill and post no vote to impeach him, his popularity has grown.

A very divided country. Just like the Brexit issue over here, voters are polarised.

Smileless2012 Fri 19-Feb-21 10:18:37

Good grief no NO varian hence the angry face on my post. The idiots acquitted him leaving him free to stand for office in the future.

Luckygirl Fri 19-Feb-21 10:13:18

I am not sure that the degrading comments about women imply an absence of a religious bent. Most world religions have fostered the inferiority of women in a big way - and some still do.

Being able to analyse why people might have voted for this man is a whole different thing from supporting him.