Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump’s current approval rating (17 Feb 2021)

(44 Posts)
Esspee Wed 17-Feb-21 12:52:12

I was absolutely dumbfounded to read in today’s telegraph that Trump’s approval rate amongst Republicans has gone up from 74% to a whopping 81%.
Do you find this as amazing as I do?

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 17-Feb-21 12:57:07

Well, they say you can’t argue with stupid. It seems to be true, but it’s a scary thought that he could make a come back.

Iam64 Wed 17-Feb-21 13:53:33

Terrifying rather than amazing, sadly.
We were due to go to America last autumn to celebrate mr i’s Big birthday. He’s keen to consider next year as a possible time to rebook. I don’t want to go...

Jane43 Wed 17-Feb-21 16:57:14

Iam64 where in the USA are you thinking of going? Don’t let the Trump fanatics put you off. We have spent a lot of time in the USA over the years and love the West coast - California, Oregon and Washington state. I would avoid Florida and Texas as they are Trump fanatics.

I would be interested to hear how they arrive at 81% and who they asked.

Urmstongran Wed 17-Feb-21 17:27:27

I liked Florida. Loved Key West.

No I’m not surprised Trump’s rating has gone up. Almost half of the USA voted for him and are disappointed Biden got in.

Iam64 Thu 18-Feb-21 16:42:50

We were going safely to California. It’s not just politics, Covid rates are very high there.

Smileless2012 Thu 18-Feb-21 17:21:30

All the more reason for not acquitting him. Now he's free to stand for office againangry.

varian Thu 18-Feb-21 18:42:09

Do you support Trump Ug and Smileless?

Jane43 Thu 18-Feb-21 20:11:36

Iam64

We were going safely to California. It’s not just politics, Covid rates are very high there.

I suppose it depends when you were thinking of going. They are pressing ahead with the vaccination programme and rates are going down quite rapidly in the USA.

janeainsworth Thu 18-Feb-21 20:37:41

You should go Iam, Covid permitting.
We were last there in November 2019 & Yosemite was breathtaking.
In the 80’s we travelled through Oregon, also spectacular. You’d be given a warm welcome.

I don’t think there’ll be many Californians in the 81%.

Urmstongran Thu 18-Feb-21 20:44:26

I support Trump varian. I think you know that already! My past posts on different threads have never hidden my support. Biden? Pft.

Iam64 Thu 18-Feb-21 21:29:10

Thanks Jane Ainsworth, for the encouragement. The trip looked fantastic.
We went to Boston, Cape Cpd, NYC and Washington DC four years ago, for the 4 weeks before trump was elected. It was memorable and totally Positive.

We didn’t meet many Trump supporters. One family group, all military or ex military. Lovely people but only the 80 year old grandfather planned to vote Trump,with a smile. The younger vets and those serving had significant reservations but, of course, trad republican voters. Everyone else we spoke to was terrified he’d win and of course, he did.

Jane43 Thu 18-Feb-21 22:28:46

janeainsworth Oregon was our favourite trip, an absolutely stunning coast line. We also did Yosemite, well part of it because it is so huge and we only allowed one day on our itinerary. Lake Tahoe was beautiful too and San Francisco. I am now wishing we could go this year on our cancelled California holiday from last year. Palm Springs, San Diego, Carlsbad, Santa Monica and Malibu are also lovely. The pound is rising against the dollar too and with the wonderful weather there are lots of good reasons to visit California.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 08:51:01

An awful lot of millions voted for Trump. I think some denied they did. It’s more acceptable to pretend ‘oh no, not me!’.

Luckygirl Fri 19-Feb-21 09:00:55

I am intrigued that you support Trump! Absolutely fascinated!

This is a man who thought it might be a good idea to inject disinfectant into the human body to kill covid!

Never mind that he is a moral vacuum - many "statesmen" are. But he is thick as a plank.

Polarbear2 Fri 19-Feb-21 09:37:26

I’m intrigued too. I honestly know no one who thinks he’s even sane let alone support him. I like to hear both sides but all I see in the media are the extremes. Why do you think he was ok??

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 09:48:42

70+ million voted for him polar just no-one you know. Unless they kept schtum!
?

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 09:56:32

Trump voters are concerned mostly with the economy and those concerned with civil disorder, (defund the police!) terrorism or taxes.

Biden, won over those concerned about health care, race relations or the environment.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 10:03:43

Actually what is surprising to me is that there are the also the evangelical and born-again Christians who voted for Trump in larger numbers than they have voted for any other president, Republican or Democrat, in US history.

81% of voters in this group cast their ballot for Trump. This deeply surprises people because Trump comes across as a very irreligious person – he’s had affairs, been married three times, and says degrading things about women. But I suppose it must be because he promotes conservative judicial appointments.

Whatever the reason he’s certainly popular. Even now.
MAGA was a very powerful slogan that appealed to the blue collar workers. And yes, before you jump, I am aware on what he didn’t deliver.

Luckygirl Fri 19-Feb-21 10:13:18

I am not sure that the degrading comments about women imply an absence of a religious bent. Most world religions have fostered the inferiority of women in a big way - and some still do.

Being able to analyse why people might have voted for this man is a whole different thing from supporting him.

Smileless2012 Fri 19-Feb-21 10:18:37

Good grief no NO varian hence the angry face on my post. The idiots acquitted him leaving him free to stand for office in the future.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 10:24:37

I suppose 74 million people would be able to say why Luckygirl. He appeals to many and in fact, post Capitol Hill and post no vote to impeach him, his popularity has grown.

A very divided country. Just like the Brexit issue over here, voters are polarised.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Feb-21 11:05:33

Trump’s popularity extends to other authoritarian leaders and dictators, but I can’t think of a single democratic leader who gave him their unqualified support, or even their qualified support.

It says a lot about populism and the way it manipulates the voter through division and hate. Just look at the type of individual we saw at the Capitol insurrection and Charlottesville.

Anyone willing to identify themselves with these people says a lot about their ideological stance regarded those they see as “others” and willingness to see the country as a divided and hate filled nation.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Feb-21 11:19:30

The astounding thing -to me- is that those willing to follow populist leaders like Trump, the Tea Party movement, or Victor Orban, or Rodrigo Dutere, etc. can be so duped by their rhetoric.

If Trump had more intelligence, I think that the USA may well have been in real trouble regarding its future, but Trump left the insurrection to the not very bright folk didn’t he? so of course it failed through lack of planning etc.

MaizieD Fri 19-Feb-21 11:20:09

Nicely put, WWMk2 grin