Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do you get your news from Facebook?

(49 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 18-Feb-21 22:17:00

With all the fuss over here over news being blocked on Facebook in Australia I was thinking most of us probably don’t rely on Facebook for news. They are making a fuss because they are journalists but does it really affect most of us? I doubt it. The only reason I have an account is to keep in touch with people overseas and other friends and I am guessing most are the same but perhaps I am wrong.

BlueBelle Thu 18-Feb-21 22:25:01

I do use fb especially for local news I m always the one passing advice of local happenings to my friends who aren’t on fb I would miss it enormously if I didn’t have it

polomint Thu 18-Feb-21 22:29:29

I use fb also for local news and to keep in touch with friends. I also get info from the local garden centres, shops etc

Dinahmo Thu 18-Feb-21 22:33:22

I've never used it. I disapprove of Mark Zuckerberg and his attitude towards checking what's being disseminated. I just don't understand why so many people put put sometimes very personal information on that platform.

janeainsworth Thu 18-Feb-21 22:40:30

I agree about local news on Facebook Bluebelle but I think it’s more the Rupert Murdoch sort of news they’re arguing it.
I heard one Australian politician saying people had a ‘human right’ to get their news from Facebook. shockgrin
Protesting too much springs to mind!

LauraNorder Thu 18-Feb-21 22:42:34

I get my news from radio, tv and the newspapers I subscribe to.
I rarely use Facebook and when I do it would be the same way I use Gransnet, opinion not news.

AmberSpyglass Thu 18-Feb-21 22:44:37

The thing is, if reputable news outlets are banned then people will start getting their news from less reputable ones. And plenty of people do, unfortunately. I was surprised that people even use it anymore, although I suspect it’s almost entirely the older generations.

Hetty58 Thu 18-Feb-21 22:44:38

I don't use it due to privacy concerns. I certainly wouldn't rely on it for news.

MaizieD Thu 18-Feb-21 22:49:29

I wouldn't dream of relying on facebook for 'news'.

Blossoming Thu 18-Feb-21 22:52:31

Have been using FB for years to keep in touch with colleagues, family and friends all over the world. I’m very conscious of privacy and safety and keep my account well buttoned up. I wouldn’t share any sensitive personal info on there anyway. It can be useful but I don’t post pics of my dinner. There are some very good support groups on there, posts are only visible to group members and they can be a godsend to people isolated due to illness or disability.

nanna8 Thu 18-Feb-21 22:53:35

I am thinking it might actually be a positive that those big news sources are banned. Too much from them anyway. It is ,however, a shame that they have also blocked emergency information about things like bushfires and weather reports but again, there are plenty of other sources.

Blossoming Thu 18-Feb-21 22:54:52

AmberSpyglass I must tell my 20 year old nephew he’s the older generation grin

BlueBelle Thu 18-Feb-21 23:05:56

I m not talking about news as in Duke if Edinburgh in hospital or Labour or Tories done this that or the other maizieD and hetty I m meaning things like ‘the green bins aren’t being collected this week put so and so colour out next week’ ‘be careful there’s a big pot hole on so and so road’ ,’can you look for my missing cat, House fire left family with nothing can you help’ ‘ my bike was stolen today can you look out for it’ or the local theatre is giving a online song night at 7 pm ......community local news
I buy and sell locally
There’s some nice groups I get lots of info from a local gardening group and a photography group and local history
As well as keeping up with family and friends that I don’t see
During the lockdown there have been some ‘helping hands ‘ groups that have done wonderful community work
Criminals have been caught, good deeds noted
I would be lost without it I’ve been on fb for about 12 years and never had a moments trouble

nanna8 Thu 18-Feb-21 23:18:28

I have been ‘infiltrated’ a couple of times with people pretending to be me and opening up another account. Friends soon let you know though.

Dinahmo Thu 18-Feb-21 23:20:57

I thought that young people had moved on from FB because they were fed up with their mums following them and wanting to be their FB friend.

Blossoming Thu 18-Feb-21 23:24:07

Agree BlueBelle it’s what you make it.

polomint Fri 19-Feb-21 01:46:30

Yes bluebelle that's what I mean to. Everything is in local area. No photos or personal things posted, just general local news. I see no harm in fb beingvusedcthisxway although I do read that schoolchildren are bullied this way. Then again, my older grandson says fb is outdated and its instagram and Twitter used by younger generation

kircubbin2000 Fri 19-Feb-21 08:32:12

None of my friends have Facebook. They think it's snooping on strangers and a dangerous place. I use it like Bluebell to find bin news, lost pets and local handymen. Also lots of nice people offering help and advice in lockdown.
I get a bit annoyed with one friend who asks me to look up phone numbers and addresses. She has even asked me to order stuff on line as she refuses to get a computer.

AmberSpyglass Fri 19-Feb-21 08:34:22

If I had a friend like that then I just...wouldn’t do it, honestly!

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 19-Feb-21 08:42:44

I’m on FB for the local village news and to keep in touch with old school friends and that’s it.
I go onto the BBC News site for my news and then I read the Independent on line.
DD1 is self employed as a Social Media person for various Charitable companies, so I read what she has to say, she also writes a piece for her local newspaper so I read that too.
The GCs aren’t on FB as they say it’s for old people ? they are on Twitter and Instagram

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Feb-21 08:59:12

Another who uses it for local news, buy and sell or giveaway sites, recommendations of local deals. Our GP surgery posts information on the vaccinations and the police post warnings/information. National/International news is BBC and Sky with our local newspaper for bigger news in the wider area.

Katie59 Fri 19-Feb-21 09:07:25

Don’t use FB or any other online media for news, or newspapers, just BBC, which at least moderates the extreme content of other media.

Ellianne Fri 19-Feb-21 09:08:27

I use Facebook for local news, community pages, societies, chatting with friends etc
I also use it for foreign news and interests in the original languages. I find my news feed informative and interesting, but if it went away I'm sure I could find an alternative somewhere else.

Kim19 Fri 19-Feb-21 09:13:11

Nope. Withdrew my membership a long while ago

grannysyb Fri 19-Feb-21 09:21:20

I went back to it to get news of a friend who lives abroad, I didn't have a phone number for her. I ignore it otherwise.