Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meghan Markle Reportedly Wanted to Keep Her American Citizenship So She Could Get Into Politics Markle 2024?

(134 Posts)
mokryna Sun 21-Feb-21 13:40:10

This is a headline from an American magazine last September. Considering the last president was publicly known for a popular tv program what do you rate her chances?

maddyone Sun 21-Feb-21 23:58:34

mokryna
I don’t know whether politics is the reason Meghan kept her American citizenship, but I can’t see any reason why she would have wanted to give it up. I do wonder why she started the citizenship process in Britain though, because apparently she’s not proceeding with it, and in any case, she would need to be living in the UK to qualify for citizenship.

NellG Sun 21-Feb-21 23:16:29

mokryna In relation to your OP - I'd say her chances are fair if that's the direction she's choosing to go in. Kamala Harris has set a high bar though.

GagaJo Sun 21-Feb-21 23:11:52

Galaxy

I think I must be very shallow, I cant concentrate on anything now except wondering about the weird threads.

I have looked in a few times. The role playing is disturbing.

mokryna Sun 21-Feb-21 23:07:16

Wow I didn’t expect all that.
Well, I think she could become someone in US politics, Americans have voted not only for Trump but also Ronald Reagan for the top job. Arnold Schwarzenegger was governor of California, he couldn’t be President because as we all know he wasn’t born in the States. However, she lives in California and was born in America.

Maggiemaybe Sun 21-Feb-21 22:57:35

Anniebach

Yes lemongrove so true. Who can forget they wanted privacy at the birth of their child, ok, but Harry made an announcement that there would be no announcement, baby born and he called the press to Windsor to talk much about what was suppose to be no announcement , then again called the press into Windsor for a photo shoot .

Yes, that was comical. The latest royal baby (Eugenie's, and very cute) was just introduced a few days ago via a photo taken by the midwife of him with his mum and dad. No fuss, no drama.

merlotgran Sun 21-Feb-21 22:51:35

Blimey! grin

Nicegranny Sun 21-Feb-21 22:48:36

I suspect Harry was traumatised by his mothers death and has never got over it.
Love Megan or hate her , she has made him happy.

Old saying.

A vagina can drag you further than gun powder can blow you.

Apologies to any sensitive person’s for my crude statement but it’s not as crude as the original ?

NellG Sun 21-Feb-21 22:34:49

Galaxy Seek and ye shall find.

I'm off to do penance for my 'potty mouth', I dunno, wash it out with soap or something? Wouldn't want the sensitive to have to clutch their pearls without knowing I'd paid some price for my foulness...

suziewoozie Sun 21-Feb-21 22:27:15

NellG

Suzie Oh I so do, the thought of you sitting there having no alternative but to pour out all your angst on here and poke at other posters tugs at my heart strings - I'm so glad we're friends now, you can insult me anytime you like if it makes you feel like life is worthwhile. grin

Aww bless but I’ll take a rain check. But ta ever so.

Galaxy Sun 21-Feb-21 22:25:47

I think I must be very shallow, I cant concentrate on anything now except wondering about the weird threads.

NellG Sun 21-Feb-21 22:23:14

Suzie Oh I so do, the thought of you sitting there having no alternative but to pour out all your angst on here and poke at other posters tugs at my heart strings - I'm so glad we're friends now, you can insult me anytime you like if it makes you feel like life is worthwhile. grin

GagaJo Sun 21-Feb-21 22:16:53

Galaxy

Bloody hell. I must have missed those threads Nell G grin

Yeah. They're weird. But each to their own.

The reason MM still has an audience is because of interest like the interest on here.

lemongrove Sun 21-Feb-21 22:15:26

I know Annie it made me laugh at the time.?

suziewoozie Sun 21-Feb-21 22:11:11

What does déja- vu mean? Anybody ? Anybody ?

Anniebach Sun 21-Feb-21 22:06:11

Yes lemongrove so true. Who can forget they wanted privacy at the birth of their child, ok, but Harry made an announcement that there would be no announcement, baby born and he called the press to Windsor to talk much about what was suppose to be no announcement , then again called the press into Windsor for a photo shoot .

suziewoozie Sun 21-Feb-21 22:05:33

NellG

Suzie ? ? ? I'd focus on not letting your own knickers show if I were you.

Thanks for the advice, it’s really nice of you but I’m fine honestly. Thanks for caring though

lemongrove Sun 21-Feb-21 21:56:29

The Sussex’s wanted ( want) everything their own way.Privacy and yet constant attention, a Royal lifestyle but without Royal responsibility ( or only on their own terms) Royal titles but living a Californian lavish and feted life there.Freedom to charge magazines huge sums for photographs , and do an Oprah tv interview ( no doubt for an eye watering sum of money).What they both seem to want is attention whilst pretending not to want it ‘don’t look at me, I’m shy!’ Sort of thing.I think they are an odd couple.

Anniebach Sun 21-Feb-21 21:56:27

Hi Chewie

NellG Sun 21-Feb-21 21:56:06

Suzie ? ? ? I'd focus on not letting your own knickers show if I were you.

Anniebach Sun 21-Feb-21 21:55:11

Galaxy I agree but they didn’t say ‘we don’t want to do this’,
they wanted to pick and choose, one foot in one out.

Katherine Kent did much as a working royal for many years, she then decided she wanted out, taught music in schools, dropped her title Duchess of Kent,

suziewoozie Sun 21-Feb-21 21:52:20

NellG

Fair enough Galaxy, as an example I can't stomach the rather unsavoury borderline sexual fantasies in some of the more 'fun' threads - but as I'm a grown up I tend to stay out and ignore it - each to their own. If anyone wants to call me on my language they can feel free, the comment I made to SW was between two people who clearly have no issue with profanity. Other people are free to avert their sensibilities if offended.

Hummm not sure it works like that on here. Posters in the past have said how upsetting they find it seeing swearing of any kind on here whether or not it’s in a post directed at them.

Chewbacca Sun 21-Feb-21 21:51:43

Anniebach

No Lucca but why not disagree and say why , why not praise them if you agree what they say and do

Maybe because it's easier to just post how vicious bilious nasty and poisonous it is several times without adding anything more constructive? Dunno really.

Galaxy Sun 21-Feb-21 21:51:35

Bloody hell. I must have missed those threads Nell G grin

Lucca Sun 21-Feb-21 21:50:03

Annie, people have disagreed but they are accused of all sorts.
I’ve said before I don’t know the pair (any more than any of us do): I just get fed up when posters say what one or other of them “thought” or “planned”, we cannot possibly know that. Or when Meghan is described as “a second rate actress”. Or “ a two bit actress” and accusing her of gold digging.

NellG Sun 21-Feb-21 21:49:31

Fair enough Galaxy, as an example I can't stomach the rather unsavoury borderline sexual fantasies in some of the more 'fun' threads - but as I'm a grown up I tend to stay out and ignore it - each to their own. If anyone wants to call me on my language they can feel free, the comment I made to SW was between two people who clearly have no issue with profanity. Other people are free to avert their sensibilities if offended.