Gransnet forums

News & politics

Heartless Britain - will attitudes ever change?

(303 Posts)
Dinahmo Fri 26-Feb-21 11:51:16

A survey by Kings College into British attitudes to different forms of inequality found just one point of agreement - that geographical inequalities need to be tackled.

By far the most disturbing inequality at the moment concerns unemployment. Nearly 50% think people have lost their jobs because of under achievement. Only 31% think job loss is attributable to bad luck. Apparently, by 57% to 39% Conservative voters are more likely to accept poor performance as the reason for job losses.

Who are these people? Everywhere there are shuttered shops, boarded up pubs, bars and restaurants. Theatres, cinemas and concert halls are closed. Do they not think that the pandemic is the reason for the increases in unemployment? When they see a closed shop or pub do they think that the people employed therein were under performing?

Whenever I see or read about the goodness of people I think perhaps the world is going to change. But then I read the survey and realise that it's not going to.

grandmajet Thu 04-Mar-21 08:32:30

Growstuff, I’m not sure Max Pemberton would like being described as a celebrity medic, his column is very caring and insightful.
I’ve lately been a bit irritated by the ubiquitous Dr Sarah Jarvis - does she actually spend any time at all being a GP these days, she’s always on telly or the radio?
As I said, I read both the Mail and the Guardian to try and get two aspects on the same story, maybe some regular Guardian only readers should read a different paper from time to time - and I mean read, not just grunt disapprovingly at the headlines.

Dinahmo Thu 04-Mar-21 15:04:26

grandmajet The Guardian is very good at providing both sides of any argument, usually through the opinion columns.
For example, over the years I read Owen Jones supporting Corby, then attacking him and now being more balanced.
Whilst the journalists criticise the Tory Party they also criticise the LP on occasion, often fiercely. This is more than cn be said for most papers.