Gransnet forums

News & politics

Guardian Journalist admits to being IRA sympathiser.

(123 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Mar-21 21:10:46

Roy Greenslade has resigned from his position at a London University after admitting to being on the side of IRA. The Guardian has been very quiet on this subject.

It was apparently known he was a unionist?

As the Guardian is often quoted in GN political threads, I would be interested in other’s opinions.

vegansrock Thu 04-Mar-21 03:31:13

Meanwhile, loyalist paramilitaries withdraw their support for the peace protocol over the government’s Brexit deal. Much more to get into a froth about , but no, must get incensed about a former journalist’s views.

lemongrove Wed 03-Mar-21 22:45:16

M0nica

growstuff it was known Greenslade supported a united Ireland. It was his support for violence that has led to the understandable reaction to his views.

What people are making clear in their posts, is that support for a united Ireland is not the same as a support for violence and in stepping across this line Greenslade has rightly become a pariah.

Quite right, well said.

M0nica Wed 03-Mar-21 22:38:07

I didn't address any of the issues you mention because they were irrelevant to the point I was making and irrelevant to this thread.

trisher Wed 03-Mar-21 21:09:02

M0nica

Trisher you can always be guaranteed to not get the point which was simple and sweet.

You said: Why should I moderate my political views? They have never as far as I know killed or injured anybody. In fact they are more likely to protect and save lives.

I merely pointed out that being peace loving kills people and cannot be avoided. I used the very crude example of the Iraq War because. Saddam was busy killing his population and no war did not mean no deaths, just different people dying.

Having read the last page or so of posts I am reminded of the saving 'When in a hole. Stop digging'

M0nica believing that peace loving kills people is buying into precisely the agenda that governments have used to justify waging war in other countries for years. I notice that you fail to address the issue of why Saddam was able to take power or who supplied him with the weapons to maintain that power. Or the very real slaughter of the Iraq/Iran war during which he used chemical weapons all sanctioned by Western powers. It isn't peace that kills people its govenments like the UK that interfere in other countries and then blame the rulers of that country when it all goes wrong. It's ridicuous to look at Saddam's atrocitties without investigating who funded him.

Urmstongran Wed 03-Mar-21 20:13:39

?

M0nica Wed 03-Mar-21 20:06:43

Trisher you can always be guaranteed to not get the point which was simple and sweet.

You said: Why should I moderate my political views? They have never as far as I know killed or injured anybody. In fact they are more likely to protect and save lives.

I merely pointed out that being peace loving kills people and cannot be avoided. I used the very crude example of the Iraq War because. Saddam was busy killing his population and no war did not mean no deaths, just different people dying.

Having read the last page or so of posts I am reminded of the saving 'When in a hole. Stop digging'

trisher Wed 03-Mar-21 19:45:59

Sorry nadateturbe were you trying to comment on the real Peace Agreement? I agree but to move on surely then we have to stop using support for any of the factions involved in the conflict as a stick to hit people with. We have to accept that extremism existed and was sometimes supported and stop behaving as if one side was wrong and the other right, depending upon our personal prejudices.

nadateturbe Wed 03-Mar-21 19:36:47

Trisher I don't get the joke.

tickingbird Wed 03-Mar-21 18:07:43

Trisher. Enough to keep taking the trouble to respond though, grin

trisher Wed 03-Mar-21 18:02:21

nadateturbe

^The whole point of the Peace agreement is to accept and move on^

If only.....

Ah but we haven't signed one! grin

nadateturbe Wed 03-Mar-21 17:45:46

The whole point of the Peace agreement is to accept and move on

If only.....

trisher Wed 03-Mar-21 17:44:56

Of course you will tickingbird and had I one iota of respect for your views I might clarify things, but I don't, so I won't

tickingbird Wed 03-Mar-21 16:56:25

I’ll take that as agreement then.

trisher Wed 03-Mar-21 16:40:10

tickingbird

I’ll say it again trisher if you were so forgiving to others that don’t share your political views I’d be more inclined to agree. However, I suspect you’d be of a different mind if this was a Mail journalist.

I do think anticipating or even bothering to predict the opinions of another person about another matter shows that you can't disagree but don't want to agree so you bring up something totally irrelevant.

tickingbird Wed 03-Mar-21 15:51:12

I’ll say it again trisher if you were so forgiving to others that don’t share your political views I’d be more inclined to agree. However, I suspect you’d be of a different mind if this was a Mail journalist.

trisher Wed 03-Mar-21 15:26:09

tickingbird

Actually it’s not for me or you trisher to forgive Greenslade. It’s for the families and people ripped apart, quite often literally by those he sympathised with. As was pointed out by someone yesterday, he was mixing with the top echelons of the IRA, those that gave the orders and the men of arms. He stood bail for the Hyde Park bomber - the one that left dead horses and guardsmen scattered all over road!

Also it’s only come out now to the general public because he’s decided to admit it. He hasn’t had his hand forced. Maybe his conscience has been troubling him.

So do you think condemning this journalist will in anyway bring comfort or peace to anyone? The whole point of the Peace agreement is to accept and move on. As I said if actual combatants can be re evaluated why can't a journalist? To not do so resurrects old grievances.

trisher Wed 03-Mar-21 15:21:54

M0nica

Oh my goodness Trisher, or should I call you St Trisher? I can see you on a holy picture, hair flowing, eyes looking heavenward and clutching a bunch of lilies.

You seem to forget that being a radiant peacemaker can kill people. The war in Iraq (which I profoundly opposed) led to many deaths, but if it hadn't gone ahead, people would still have been killed who otherwise would have lived because Saddam Hussein's rule was a rule of terror and his overthrow saved many lives.

M0nicayou make the great mistake of seperating the Iraq war and Saddam Hussein, both are the consequences of western interference. Saddam was supported and armed by Western powers because they saw him as a controller of Iranian expansion. To this end they financed and armed him. They also turned a blind eye when he used chemical weapons aganst Iran. So you could say that the deaths under Saddam, the deaths in the Iraq war and the deaths in the Iran/Iraq war can be laid firmly at the door of Western powers.
As for the saints remark-best ignored I think.

AmberSpyglass Wed 03-Mar-21 15:18:28

Criticising the RUC and pointing out that they all too often get a pass in the media isn’t the same as praising the IRA. It’s asking that this be put into context.

tickingbird Wed 03-Mar-21 14:30:26

Actually it’s not for me or you trisher to forgive Greenslade. It’s for the families and people ripped apart, quite often literally by those he sympathised with. As was pointed out by someone yesterday, he was mixing with the top echelons of the IRA, those that gave the orders and the men of arms. He stood bail for the Hyde Park bomber - the one that left dead horses and guardsmen scattered all over road!

Also it’s only come out now to the general public because he’s decided to admit it. He hasn’t had his hand forced. Maybe his conscience has been troubling him.

M0nica Wed 03-Mar-21 14:19:20

Oh my goodness Trisher, or should I call you St Trisher? I can see you on a holy picture, hair flowing, eyes looking heavenward and clutching a bunch of lilies.

You seem to forget that being a radiant peacemaker can kill people. The war in Iraq (which I profoundly opposed) led to many deaths, but if it hadn't gone ahead, people would still have been killed who otherwise would have lived because Saddam Hussein's rule was a rule of terror and his overthrow saved many lives.

AmberSpyglass Wed 03-Mar-21 14:15:55

Trisher I’m in absolute agreement with you.

trisher Wed 03-Mar-21 14:00:39

tickingbird

I’d agree with you trisher if only you were willing to be so magnanimous towards others who, perhaps, don’t share your political views.

Why should I moderate my political views? They have never as far as I know killed or injured anybody. In fact they are more likely to protect and save lives. And I haven't signed any peace agreement why would I? Should I ignore poverty and inequality just to agree with people?

growstuff Wed 03-Mar-21 13:56:28

GrannyGravy13

The news item I watched particularly highlighted Mr Greenslades time at the Guardian, how this was alleged several years ago and how the Guardian had remained silent on this issue then and now.

He has resigned from his position at the University.

If it was on GMB, that's hardly a surprise. GMB is one of the main players in the culture war which is going on.

growstuff Wed 03-Mar-21 13:54:58

And, yes, I'm a Guardian reader - along with dozens of other media sources.

growstuff Wed 03-Mar-21 13:54:21

vegansrock

I read the Guardian and the Independent and the Times. Never heard of this journalist, but I don’t notice the names of many journalists to be fair. No truck with terrorism from whichever side. I don’t support this man and his views , you don’t have to be far left to say that.

He was the media critic. I recognise the name, but can't say he made much of an impression on me.