Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pritti Patel and bullying

(62 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 04-Mar-21 16:24:28

There is some good news occasionally. PP has reached a 6 figure settlement with the former permanent secretary in the Home Office. The FDA (civil servants union) is to continue pursuing other cases.

M0nica Sun 07-Mar-21 19:20:33

Aveline I stand by my statement, the little misunderstandings that arise in offices are not bullying.

I was bullied at one school I attended, there can be no misunerstanding over whether it was bullying when you are being regularly punched in the stomach because it is known you have a stomach illness.

I was bullied at work. Again there is no mistaking when a manager interviews to fail you and everybody in the department, including me, knew in advance this was what he intended to do. He later asked me if I had considered the interview as a bumiliation. My reply was that it was an attempt to humiliate.

MaizieD Sun 07-Mar-21 18:12:00

Sorry, this one might work better:

davidallengreen.com/2021/03/a-close-reading-of-public-domain-information-regarding-the-settlement-between-philip-rutnam-and-the-home-office/#comments

MaizieD Sun 07-Mar-21 18:09:53

I think that shouting and swearing at the people working for you comes under most people's definition of bullying, Aveline. Patel's management style is pretty well known. She even had to be asked to moderate her behaviour.

Government wouldn't make a 6 figure pay out to someone who was triggered by being asked how their weekend was. I don't think you've read my link. I'll post it again:

davidallengreen.com/2021/03/a-close-reading-of-public-domain-information-regarding-the-settlement-between-philip-rutnam-and-the-home-office/#comments

The writer is a solicitor

Aveline Sun 07-Mar-21 17:02:48

We don't really know though. She could just be a forceful, well organised woman who's impatient with the slow pace of action or progress in a department. Is she being especially pilloried because she's a woman? Would it be OK if she was a man in a grey suit? I don't know. None of us know.
M0nica I'm surprised at your glib comment. People are not all the same. One person's bullying is another person's reasonable behaviour. I can give you an example. A woman came to me once to say she was being systematically bullied. I was very concerned and asked what happened. It turned out that this person's work colleagues were a friendly bunch who were trying to show an interest and draw her out a bit. The 'bullying' was them asking her how her weekend had been or what she'd been watching on TV. The poor woman was a shy lady who lived on her own and had not had anyone to discuss this with until it had become blown up out of all proportion in her head. Once I got to the bottom of it all and spoke to all concerned it resolved very well. The lady relaxed and lost her defensiveness and soon felt able to join in general office fun and even went on a few outings.
That's just an example of course but it was to illustrate that 'bullying' comes in an infinite variety of ways and can also be perceived completely differently by an infinite variety of people.

EllanVannin Sun 07-Mar-21 09:27:34

Aveline, this has been going on for years with her.

Alegrias1 Sun 07-Mar-21 09:19:31

Fàilte a Chorryanna! Please come back, we need more like you smile

M0nica Sun 07-Mar-21 08:52:57

Those supporting the bullies are bullies themselves.

simtib Sun 07-Mar-21 08:50:30

It would be good if she had to pay it but unfortunatly it will be us paying it.

Aveline Sun 07-Mar-21 08:10:11

EllanVannin I doubt she opens the mail herself but I'm sure her civil servants will be getting through the work as fast as they can. Depending on how efficient they are of course...

EllanVannin Sat 06-Mar-21 21:32:51

The woman has totally ignored the fact that a former constituent of hers has so far served 35 years in prison with what's looking like a very unsafe conviction.
A petition was sent to her to ask police to release all withheld documents pertaining to the crime which took place and she didn't/ hasn't had the decency to respond.

Blossoming Sat 06-Mar-21 21:32:12

Lucca

Priti Patel, Tory, good.
Meghan, bad.
Nicola sturgeon, SNP, bad.

I believe that is how it works on GN ?!

Perfect! grin

vegansrock Sat 06-Mar-21 21:22:59

Those supporting PP’s bullying are just agreeing with everything this government does no matter what. If it were Diane Abbott it would be a different story. Nodding dogs springs to mind. There’s no defence for bullying staff.

Aveline Sat 06-Mar-21 21:15:23

What is your definition of bullying though?

NotSpaghetti Sat 06-Mar-21 20:34:04

GillT57 - you are not alone. Several of us here have condemned bullying - but you are right, some think it's OK.
?Unbelievable.

Aveline Sat 06-Mar-21 15:55:19

I love Scotland too which is why I detest NS and all that her party has done to it.

Corryanna Sat 06-Mar-21 15:32:24

I’m quite glad nobody has enlightened me about NS. I have spent far too long this pm, reading another political thread on this forum. I am in no doubt as to certain G-netters’ opinion of Scotland’s FM - wow! Some of you really don’t like her do you? Someone said that the daily briefing is only telling us how many Covid deaths, I suggest that person switches TV on and watches one daily briefing, only one, and listens to all the FM updates the country on.
I’m not going to hang around to read more insults about a country I love, and am proud to call home ??????? Mar sin leibh!

Corryanna Fri 05-Mar-21 23:37:53

Newbie here, em... why is Nicola Sturgeon SNP bad? And why does that seem to be the way GNetters are/go ? Maybe I’m missing something, no offence intended!

MaizieD Fri 05-Mar-21 23:27:17

For anyone who might care to read a lawyer's interpretation of the reason for what he describes as an 'extraordinary' settlement, David Allen Green's analysis can be found here:

GillT57 Fri 05-Mar-21 22:38:47

Am I the only one on here who is livid that an "alleged" bully has been let off, has the backing of her boss who chose to ignore reports criticising her and that I as a taxpayer have to foot the bill? Presumably the home office and other departments are now a free for all for bullies. Those of you blaming the victim should be ashamed of yourselves, you have obviously never experienced first hand the effects of bullying on a close family member. I have, and it is awful and the implications long lasting.

M0nica Fri 05-Mar-21 20:17:47

She(Priti Patel) did have a reason (for bullying) and a very good one. Getting facts and figures together to compile a report on the sex grooming scandal.

I am sorry, she didn't. If she has to shout and bully to get information, then she is not up to the job. What is more the information will be wrong and inadequate. Bullying is like torture, people will tell you what you wan, whether it is right or wrong, just to get you to stop.

I spent most of my career in the engineering industry, and that industry has some very strong and blunt managers, but the best one I ever had, for whom I did work that won me brownie points, was a small, quiet man, who said please and thank you and commended you when you did good work, everyone who knew him and worked for him would have walked barefoot over broken glass if that was what he asked for. You could not help working hard for him.

He ended up chief executive of one of our top companies.

Casdon Fri 05-Mar-21 19:53:59

Sorry missed the ‘l’ off Patel.

Casdon Fri 05-Mar-21 19:53:24

Nasir Afzal has been a strong critic of Priti Pate, I’ve pasted one of his tweets belowl:
1Tweet
See new Tweets
Tweet

nazir afzal
@nazirafzal
·
Feb 29, 2020
I’ve worked with dozens of permanent secretaries & senior civil servants - ministers determine policy, they implement it

None have resigned with such anger & disdain
Rutnam was highly regarded

Priti Patel has a lot of questions to answer
Lawyers will be queuing up to ask them

MerylStreep Fri 05-Mar-21 19:36:51

Ilovecheese

So even if she is a shouting and swearing bully, it is o.k. because she must have a reason.

She did have a reason, and a very good one. Getting facts and figures together to compile a report on the sex grooming scandal.
She was thwarted at every turn. Even being told that some facts and figures had been lost.
High profile figures such as Nazir Afzal and Sarah Champion have commented ( negatively) on the behaviour of the civil servants working on this issue.

M0nica Fri 05-Mar-21 18:45:50

OK, here goes: Priti Patel, Duchess of Sussex, Nicola Sturgeon are all bullies who think being unpleasant to staff shows how powerful they are.

vegansrock Fri 05-Mar-21 17:49:40

I don’t think PP has a “great record in other departments” to be fair.