Gransnet forums

News & politics

Monday - will you watch....and why?

(639 Posts)
Pantglas2 Sat 06-Mar-21 21:00:12

Obviously, the Oprah interview with the Sussexes.

I will because I want to hear it straight from the source rather than media spin/interpretation so that I can comment later on what I saw and heard, when discussions start up as they surely will.

However, I don’t think they should be doing an interview at all (I felt the same about Diana and Charles interviews) these things end up backfiring against them.

nadateturbe Sat 06-Mar-21 23:09:40

I will, if I don't fall asleep. ....

Gannygangan Sat 06-Mar-21 23:10:26

No thank you.

I'd rather have a root canal fitting

overthehill Sat 06-Mar-21 23:16:59

Certainly will. Admire the Queen but no time for any of them M&H included.
However, totally intrigued with all the gossip.
Has anyone noticed M's eye makeup in the interview? Specially done to give a sad look very smudged beneath her eyes. Not the usual.

Witzend Sat 06-Mar-21 23:19:59

I won’t be watching. TBH I’m sick of the whole wretched pantomime.

V3ra Sat 06-Mar-21 23:26:15

Yes, for the same reasons as Pantglas2 has so eloquently stated.
Though it annoys me that in doing so I'll be adding to the viewing figures and making them seem more popular ?‍♀️?‍♀️

Chestnut Sat 06-Mar-21 23:37:45

I watched the Prince Andrew carcrash interview and I will watch this, as others have said, to see and hear for myself exactly what they are spouting. But I will be recording it and probably watching in 20 mins segments as that is all I will be able to stand before throwing up!

LauraNorder Sat 06-Mar-21 23:42:41

We’ve added a bottle of Baileys to tomorrow’s Tesco order to help us through the long interview. Also it was reduced from £20 to £12.

nanna8 Sun 07-Mar-21 01:23:24

I’ll watch if only because there isn’t much else on. Better to hear it from the horse’s mouth , so to speak.

CanadianGran Sun 07-Mar-21 06:29:26

Undecided. In the teaser clips broadcast so far all we heard was Oprah speaking. While I used to admire her, I found in the last years of her show she was very self centered and the guests barely got a word in. Give us Barbara Walters any time to ask the pertinent questions.

I think I am as curious as the average person. I admire the Queen but detest what happened to Diana and can sympathize with Harry in that he does not want a repeat of the intense paparazzi for his family. They did their break-away, they should do a stay-away! We will lose interest if they are not in the news. I wish them well.

Bellasnana Sun 07-Mar-21 07:29:50

No I won’t be watching. I find the whole sorry saga cringeworthy.

Anniebach Sun 07-Mar-21 07:37:35

I want to watch but now she is doing to heavy eye make up , doe eyed look of Diana , and for two hours !

Lucca Sun 07-Mar-21 07:49:10

I’m pretty sure most will watch, otherwise how would they be able to “discuss” it at length the next day. I might start watching it but I’m a bit of a dozer off these days anyway so definitely won’t watch it all. Probably read about inThe Times online next day.

Lucca Sun 07-Mar-21 07:58:54

This made me smile. All the fury and rage on here but the queen is said to be “cheesed off” !!

aggie Sun 07-Mar-21 08:00:24

I never was into the “ I’m a sad orphan “ bit anyway , but I might watch it , well record , and whizz through the advertising, .The plush background and doe eyed makeup have already made me cross

seacliff Sun 07-Mar-21 08:01:19

I don't approve of it but will probably watch, but not sure if I can take 2 hours of her 'poor me" comments. Yes the special Diana smudged eye make up. All so false and staged.

Even worse, it replaces Forgotten.

Calendargirl Sun 07-Mar-21 08:06:00

I shall certainly watch. I like the Channel 5 royal stuff on a Saturday night, there is not much else on and I am very interested in the RF.

I see Meghan’s choice of dress and hairstyle for the interview is being likened to what Wallis Simpson looked like in one of her photos, and it is very similar. Shades of history repeating itself the obvious implication.

I hope Oprah does ask all the awkward question i.e.

Why did Harry never meet your father long before the wedding?

Is it true that you made Catherine cry during wedding dress fittings? If so, why?

Why did so many of your staff resign after working for you for only a short time?

Being part of the Royal Family is obviously not what you thought it would be. Tell me, what did you really think it would involve, and why did Harry not give you all the nitty-gritty before you agreed to become part of ‘The Firm’?

Lots more pertinent question, let’s hope she asks them, and gets real answers.

And I hope M doesn’t resort to too much bump cradling either.

MaggieTulliver Sun 07-Mar-21 08:09:19

No interest whatsoever. Can’t wait for this nonsense to blow over so I don’t have to read about it anymore.

Grandma70s Sun 07-Mar-21 08:24:57

I don’t know when it’s on.

I shall probably have a look if it doesn’t clash with anything important like University Challenge, or my sleep. I’m sure it will annoy me, though. I can take or leave Prince Harry, but both Oprah and Meghan irritate me a LOT.

grandmajet Sun 07-Mar-21 08:36:19

I wish I wasn’t interested, but I am. It’s a shame when people’s lives turn into a soap opera but I suppose that is what they want. I also watched the wedding, which I thought was beautiful, and have followed their story with increasing sadness ever since. I just hope they can find some peace now.
I may record it and watch on a day when Grandpajet is out so I don’t have to listen to his tutting!

J52 Sun 07-Mar-21 08:38:42

I cannot see the point of the interview, other than to isolate Harry from his family and as a vehicle for more publicity.
Sadly no good will come of it for any of the family, who after all are human.

Nell8 Sun 07-Mar-21 08:44:00

I'll watch it, but what I won't be able to see are the teams of agents, money men, PR experts and lawyers who have worked behind the scenes to make the "show" a success for those on screen.

Gingster Sun 07-Mar-21 08:51:59

I like H and M. There is much that could have been done to help them stay in the royal family. I’m sure M has been treated abominably by the palace officials. She is a mature woman who is used to voicing her opinions and won’t be told what to say, think or do. Unlike Diana who was so young and was able to be controlled by the establishment.
I think they are silly to have ageeed to the interview. If they want privacy , this isn’t the way .
I don’t really like many of the royals.
Don’t like Philip, Andrew, Ann. Even the Queen comes across as curmudgeonly and cold.
I admire William and Kate, Charles and Camilla, Edward and Sophie .
I will watch the interview as I like to See for myself and you can’t have an opinion if you don’t watch it.

NanaandGrampy Sun 07-Mar-21 09:01:05

No I wont .

I wont waste my time. I just don't care what they have to say.

grannysyb Sun 07-Mar-21 09:01:06

Can't be ar...! What happened to the much vaunted desire for "privacy?" They have taken the option to do this, knowing that the royals won't be able to comment.

JenniferEccles Sun 07-Mar-21 09:02:18

The Sunday Times has reported that the Queen will not be watching it as courtiers call it a ‘circus’, but they said the palace is prepared to retaliate with disclosures about the couple’s behaviour if the monarchy is criticised.

The gloves are off!

We will watch it but probably in two segments.

I suspect it won’t live up to its hype though.