Gransnet forums

News & politics

More Nuclear Warheads?

(30 Posts)
Ilovecheese Tue 16-Mar-21 14:07:31

Is the pandemic not enough? Do we really need more chances to kill ourselves? It is not just our Government I know, but do we really want this?
What about "the magic money tree" is this a good use of its fruit?

MaizieD Tue 16-Mar-21 15:49:56

I think it's extraordinarily ungrateful of Johnson to portray Russia as Public Enemy No 1 as it was the Russians who helped massively to put hum where he is now...

I can't imagine why anyone should think that anyone needs more nuclear weaponry in this day and age, I thought we were more civilised than that. I though we were progressing, albeit rather slowly, towards nuclear disarmament. I am absolutely horrified at this development.

But then, I suppose it's really just a big willy waving gesture on the part of our macho government.

Alegrias1 Tue 16-Mar-21 16:04:32

I'm just surprised that there isn't more on the news/social media about this. Maybe later once the TV news has got hold of it. Its just unbelievable. They really have no idea how to run a country in the 21st century, do they?

trisher Tue 16-Mar-21 16:13:51

There's a little thing called the Non Proliferation Treaty we signed. It says among other things
Declaring their intention to achieve at the earliest possible date the cessation of the nuclear arms race and to undertake effective measures in the direction of nuclear disarmament,

Urging the co-operation of all States in the attainment of this objective,

Desiring to further the easing of international tension and the strengthening of trust between States in order to facilitate the cessation of the manufacture of nuclear weapons, the liquidation of all their existing stockpiles, and the elimination from national arsenals of nuclear weapons and the means of their delivery pursuant to a Treaty on general and complete disarmament under strict and effective international control,
What a bunch of liars and morons!!!

NotSpaghetti Tue 16-Mar-21 16:33:55

I feel very very negative about this.
Not surprised though.
Saddened.

NotSpaghetti Tue 16-Mar-21 16:35:47

We can't take a stance on the Uighur people but we are obviously prepared to threaten someone.
?‍♀️

MaizieD Tue 16-Mar-21 17:42:20

NotSpaghetti

We can't take a stance on the Uighur people but we are obviously prepared to threaten someone.
?‍♀️

Probably the EU. It's one of Frost's new negotiating tools...

trisher Tue 16-Mar-21 17:58:02

MaizieDgrin

varian Wed 17-Mar-21 09:51:54

Boris Johnson is set to raise the cap on Britain’s stockpile of Trident nuclear warheads ending three decades of gradual disarmament.

The Government’s Integrated Review of security, defence, development and foreign policy will increase limit from 180 to 260 warheads, according a leaked copy obtained by the Guardian.

Surely 180 nuclear weapons would be enough to destroy the planet several times over even if no-one else fired a single shot?

This is obscene.

NellG Wed 17-Mar-21 09:59:09

I think the point is that no one does fire a single shot, ever. I also suspect this is part of the consequences of becoming a sovereign state.

Dinahmo Wed 17-Mar-21 10:00:40

Johnson apparently thinks that increasing the number of warheads will be a defence against cyber crimes. He's also gunning for China. I thought that China was supposed to be one of the markets we could crack after Brexit.

Dinahmo Wed 17-Mar-21 10:00:40

Johnson apparently thinks that increasing the number of warheads will be a defence against cyber crimes. He's also gunning for China. I thought that China was supposed to be one of the markets we could crack after Brexit.

varian Wed 17-Mar-21 10:02:49

If it is just a question of deterrence, why don't we just SAY we've got umpteen nuclear weapons?

Nandalot Wed 17-Mar-21 10:04:22

Horrified when I heard this. As Varian said surely 180 nuclear warheads are enough. If defence spending is needed surely our under resourced forces could do with the money. Perhaps a full complement of planes for our newly built aircraft carriers.

NellG Wed 17-Mar-21 10:07:01

Varian Because loads of Tories wouldn't be able to make any money out of the deal.

Grany Wed 17-Mar-21 10:12:51

Nuclear bomb announcement sends clear message: warmonger Johnson has cash to KILL, not heal
voxpoliticalonline.com/2021/03/17/nuclear-bomb-announcement-sends-clear-message-warmonger-johnson-has-cash-to-kill-not-heal/

m.youtube.com/watch?v=spnJ5WDgZnY

We should be reducing the stockpile not adding more

MaizieD Wed 17-Mar-21 11:24:38

NellG

I think the point is that no one does fire a single shot, ever. I also suspect this is part of the consequences of becoming a sovereign state.

We've always been a sovereign state. As a sovereign state we signed up to the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty mentioned by trisher. The aim has been to reduce nuclear weapons, not increase them.

This is willy waving...The consequence of electing a nightmarish tory government.

Grammaretto Wed 17-Mar-21 13:15:09

It is so depressing. Hideous.
An arms race- a return to the bad old days.

If Boris wants a united Britain he is going the wrong way about it.
At least up until now, the SNP and Greens were together in wanting fewer no weapons of mass destruction and scrapping Trident. We are having a Scottish Parliament election in May.

Dinahmo Wed 17-Mar-21 13:49:24

Interesting - there's at least one person who still hasn't recognised that Britain is a sovereign state and has been since whenever. No matter how many times it was pointed out during the Brexit campaign.

NellG Wed 17-Mar-21 14:43:16

Apologies, I should have said independent Sovereign state.

Alegrias1 Wed 17-Mar-21 14:53:16

I'd love to see someone try to explain to Germany that as members of the EU they are not an independent sovereign state.

Or France maybe. Or Sweden. Or Italy. Or.....

I'll stop there.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 17-Mar-21 15:07:40

As far as I am aware the government hasn’t explained why we need to increase our nuclear Arsenal.

NellG Wed 17-Mar-21 15:16:19

Alegrias

commonslibrary.parliament.uk/the-withdrawal-agreement-bill-sovereignty-special-status-and-the-withdrawal-agreement/

My comment was in relation to the entanglements that hamper sovereignty. My apologies for the lack of articulation, and for assuming comment was welcome on the thread. I'll leave you all to it.

NotSpaghetti Wed 17-Mar-21 15:16:53

All very depressing.

MaizieD Wed 17-Mar-21 15:37:42

My comment was in relation to the entanglements that hamper sovereignty

You mean like the WTO, NATO, the United Nations, the European Declaration of Human Rights, Nell?

Are we going to nuke them, as well as the EU? wink