Gransnet forums

News & politics

Covid-19 cases are rising again in much of the world

(57 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

PippaZ Fri 19-Mar-21 21:30:01

This may be partly due to longer days in our part of the world but it seems to be more down to the varients.

^Countries that have succeeded in rolling out vaccines quickly have, for now, avoided surges in new cases. According to the latest vaccination figures gathered by Our World in Data, a website, 15 countries have so far jabbed more than a quarter of their adult population. None of them show signs of a resurgence of infections. (see chart). In Britain nearly half of adults have had at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine. In America two-thirds of people over 64 have received a jab. Last week President Joe Biden announced that all adults will be eligible for a first dose by May 1st, his 100th day in office. That means increasing vaccinations from 2.5m to at least 4m people per day.^*

Will Johnson, if necessary, close the country and lockdown quickly. A year ago they were to slow and ignored the most vulnerable in our society. How will this government stand up to the test this time?

*Economist article

Ellianne Sat 20-Mar-21 16:46:00

I'm sure GN can help there Pippa if you ask. You're right the Coronavirus ones end up all over the place, which is annoying if you want to discuss a particular aspect.
I wondered whether some of the CV threads last year about teachers should have moved to Education because they got very specific to teaching methods.
Sorry to have derailed this a bit earlier.

PippaZ Sat 20-Mar-21 16:52:00

Alegrias1

^You are right except we already see a variant that they believe this current vaccine may not be able to deal with.^

Sorry to keep going on about this but I think it's important PippaZ. Do you have anything to back this up? (There I go, asking for proof again wink) I don't believe that this is exactly a true statement and its things like this that cause people to catastrophise - me included. Repeating myself here, but the current vaccines can deal with all the variants we have at the moment. Maybe not as well with some of the variants but the efficacy of the vaccines is high and they are still effective. Maybe in future (and I mean maybe this winter) there will be variants that the scientists believe will be able to evade the vaccines at higher rates. Then we get boosters of a new variant of the vaccine to deal with new variants of the virus.

Don't worry about asking Alegrias1; you are right to do so.
This has been repeated on the BBC frequently over the last few days.

Both - one in the West Midlands and one in Haringey, London - were linked with international travel to Brazil.

Some variants, like this one, appear to be more contagious and there are concerns current vaccines may not work as well.

Also this.

It was also “able to evade 25-61 per cent of protective immunity elicited by previous infection” with another variant, the researchers found, a sign that current vaccines could also be less effective against it.

To be honest there is so much being said about it that it's difficult to know what to highlight. I have also heard (radio) and watched conversations with relevant scientists over the last few days but no chance of referencing them as I can't remember which programmes they were on. I think we will hear more about it as it gets further into other populations than the Brazilian one.

MerylStreep Sat 20-Mar-21 17:01:37

sodapop

Macron is trying to appease people by not having a total lock down and slightly relaxing the curfew now 7pm - 8am everywhere. Paris and 16 other departments are in lockdown, there was a queue of traffic 400km long on Wednesday of people leaving Paris. They wonder why its spreading. Still no appointments available for vaccination.
Things are definitely better in UK.

They certainly are Sodapop over 700,000 today, yeh ??

maddyone Sat 20-Mar-21 18:56:49

Thanks for flowers Alegrias.

LilyGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 21-Mar-21 09:42:13

We're just moving this over to news and politics for the OP. flowers

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Mar-21 09:44:29

Thanks for the explanation and links PippaZ, I appreciate you taking the time to find those.

You're welcome maddyone.