Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson's Roadmap to Leveling up - does anyone know where we can find it?

(22 Posts)
PippaZ Fri 26-Mar-21 13:05:00

I have to admit I am trying to avoid the news at the moment (as far as possible), but it occurred to me that I hadn't seen any real plans for "Leveling-up". Much was made of it and it certainly needs doing but it hasn't caught my eye. Can anyone help?

Peasblossom Fri 26-Mar-21 13:10:35

I just put “levelling up’ into gov.uk and there were documents there. Is that what you were looking for?

2020convert Fri 26-Mar-21 13:23:27

Gov.uk/Covid or you local authority website will find all Covid details including the proposed pathway out of restrictions

PippaZ Fri 26-Mar-21 13:27:41

Thanks, Peasblossom; I appreciate that. I'll have a good look at those but I suppose what I was hoping for was the sort of "roadmap" we have for getting out of lockdown, including the "if this happens, then that will happen" - perhaps something a little more inspiring and a little less dry although I do see these things have to go through the proper channels.

growstuff Fri 26-Mar-21 13:28:02

2020convert

Gov.uk/Covid or you local authority website will find all Covid details including the proposed pathway out of restrictions

I think Pippa means concret plans to level up the parts of the country which have fallen behind.

You could ask Peter Pan Pippa.

growstuff Fri 26-Mar-21 13:29:11

*concrete

keepingquiet Fri 26-Mar-21 13:43:06

Haha- roadmap! This government couldn't draw a map of a playground...

MaizieD Fri 26-Mar-21 13:45:30

Well, our local MPs (red wall tories) have money to revitalise a local town centre and ambitions to restore a redundant railway line or two. Oh, and talking about rebuilding a sports centre closed because of tory cuts in council spending. Lots of bribery projects. Not sure what they're doing to attract real solid jobs to the area, though...

growstuff Fri 26-Mar-21 18:48:10

How much money do they actually have Maizie?

Some Tory MP (can't remember who) said a few weeks ago that they're relying on areas attracting private finance. Clever! Blame the local authorities themselves for not doing enough to attract the finance, which will involve a minimum amount of government money.

The "big idea" seems to be freeports, which will just attract people who want to avoid tax and will take jobs away from other areas.

As you say, bribery projects.

varian Fri 26-Mar-21 19:02:26

Any levelling up must be paid for by taxing the tax dodging billionaires who donate to the Tory party.

Who thinks that will ever happen?

PippaZ Fri 26-Mar-21 19:11:06

I've heard about these things Maizie but nothing seems to be joined up. It will be nice for some people (I hope) to have their branch lines returned but how does it all fit together.

Really, I would like to know what the equivalent of the "R" number is re unlevel/level, i.e. the number above which too many people are dying or missing out on a healthy, rounded life because they are so poor. We could be told which level each region is in according to available work, average education level, I'm sure others could add more. As emergency powers were given to the government we could then be told how many people had had enough money injected directly into their bank account so they would not overwhelm the Universal Credit system.

Once all the emergency measures were taken we could be told how, 5 weeks at a time, the country would be levelled up. The press might also let us know which of BoJo's friends got rich making a right * up of the emergency measures too.

I haven't seen any sort of "plan" so this might be one for them to start with.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Mar-21 19:35:20

It doesn’t exist - another lie

PippaZ Fri 26-Mar-21 19:50:57

How could you say such a thing Whitewave shock It was in their manifesto.

Seriously though, if they don't start putting out a plan even those who voted for them will begin to doubt it.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Mar-21 19:57:33

No they won’t they will simply believe the next lie.

growstuff Fri 26-Mar-21 20:03:40

Whether you're levelled up depends whether you're in a marginal constituency and whether your vote will count.

PippaZ Fri 26-Mar-21 20:06:46

Oh growstuff - and I did enjoy making up a possible scenario.

Callistemon Fri 26-Mar-21 20:26:47

Furthermore, with £800 million for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, spread over four financial years, it would probably represent little more than £50 million each year for Welsh projects – a fraction of the funding we have lost as a result of no longer having access to the Structural Funds. Moreover, in contrast to ‘the usual way’ Barnett consequentials are allocated, none of this money is ring-fenced to Wales.

And you think you have problems!

gov.wales/written-statement-levelling-fund

PippaZ Fri 26-Mar-21 21:41:59

It's as clear as mud, isn't it.

Polarbear2 Fri 26-Mar-21 22:41:56

Aww Pippa. I love your optimism. Great plan btw. Maybe you should write to Mr Johnson and tell him? ?

PippaZ Sat 27-Mar-21 09:54:38

Thank you Polarbear2, but I'm not sure I'm that optimistic when it comes to levelling up - I just want something to measure our progress against. I've a feeling Mr J will not want that. Politicians eh hmm Oh for a few statesmen who can leave the politics until the next election.

Polarbear2 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:02:24

Indeed.

vegansrock Sat 27-Mar-21 12:42:59

I think it must be down the back of one of the posh new sofas we taxpayers are paying for.