Gransnet forums

News & politics

Some effects of Brexit on unimportant people

(114 Posts)
MaizieD Fri 26-Mar-21 20:37:15

A twitter thread by Financial Times journalist, Peter Foster.

Some people may find it very sad.

We write a lot about the impact of Brexit on business (rightly) but what about the impact on individuals - and it’s not just about the money! As me and @DanielThomasLDN report her for @FinancialTimes Stay with me... /1

Brexit is about building back barriers - economic but also social and cultural with Europe - and these barriers are built back by increment. Just as gravity impacts trade, so it impacts our social and cultural interactions. The bureaucracy created by Brexit does that...EG... /2

Adrian Bagley, a semi-retired architect who buys and sells model trains from collectors in the EU on the Catawiki auction website...he's been doing it for years. It gives him great pleasure interacting with buyers n sellers from Romania or Austria /3

It's a hobby. It's not life and death, and Mr Bagley excepts ultimately his travails are trivial - but new rules on VAT and the 'handling charges' that parcel companies charge have permanently disadvantaged him with EU contacts /4

I feel like a semi-invisible barrier has come down between me and all those countries I had previously been on the same footing with, when we were all following the same rules. Now I feel I’ve been cut off by duties and so-called ‘handling charges’,” he says. /5

The barriers work both ways. An Italian collector who bought a train from Mr Bagley is cross that he suddenly has to pay VAT and charges on receipt - and Mr Bagley pays 25% effective surcharge on what he buys. (£53.56 in 20% VAT+ £12.50 handling fees on a €250.49 train) /6

This means that EU collectors low-ball his sales (coz they know charges are coming) and he can't compete on a level playing field for with EU bidders for an EU product, since they don't have VAT+ handling. Cry me a river, you say. Well, I do. /7

Similarly with José Martín Quesada who was sent some home baked pastries by his mother in Spain after Christmas which arrived rotten after weeks waiting for health certs etc. “My mother sent the most innocent parcel of home-cooked food and it was declared a biohazard.” /8

Cry me another river. Is Mr Quesada going to starve no? Was his Christmas ruined? Probably not. But his mother's attempt to show him some seasonal consideration was made impossible. Multiply these stories out by the thousands, tens of thousands, and it's a sorry tale I think/9

I've wrote about au pairs being blocked for no really good reason (to much mockery) but that's 50k cultural interactions a year - young Europeans meeting brits, learn English, young English kids meeting EU citizens, hearing languages...realising the world is round, not flat. /10

I've written about the outbound travel industry - young brits going to work in campsites and skiing chalets, running canoeing holidays or guiding musical tours...all that is now made measurably more difficult. Gravity will take it's toll./11

This week's Lords EU committee report on #Brexit and Services tells the story... here @SBIT_UK explains.

As I type UK companies are not signing chalet contracts that would create jobs for UK hires this summer./12

Sorry, image missing.

Again. Not the end of the world, things might get a bit pricier etc. But all just part of the incremental losses caused by building barriers that have material impact - if you have an Irish passport, say, you'll find it easier to get hired. Just a fact. /13

It's no good saying "we're out of the EU, not out of Europe" because a lot of European - the wiring under the plasterwork - is driving by EU rules and regulation. Over time, people will bother less, in both directions. /14

Similarly with the decision to drop Erasmus+. The Lords report worth reading on this, but the Turing scheme is nothing like a replacement and - again - ignores the reality that the EU is a our neighbour. It's another rock in the road. /15

Sorry, image missing

twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1375381463252795395

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Mar-21 12:55:52

And by substituting "France for EU" you have completely miss interpreted and miss represented my post Dinahmo. The EU isn't a country, it's a group of countries.

Welshwife Sun 28-Mar-21 13:32:08

I have seen over the last couple of days that Brits living in Spain who have not applied for or been given Spanish residency have been required to leave by next week. If they do not do so they will be deported and risk not being allowed back into Spain. The couple they interviewed have lived in Spain for years under the radar and thought they were fine - they voted to leave the EU believing it would not affect them.

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Mar-21 13:36:29

Surely this has been publicised by the Spanish authorities Welshwife as there will have been plenty of Brits living in Spain who've applied for residency.

Welshwife Sun 28-Mar-21 14:29:19

Unfortunately many people did not think it would affect them it seems.
Some people have applied for residency but it has been denied - I gave no idea why but suspect if they have been living there for years and not joined the tax and health systems it could have a bearing on the matter.
Freedom of movement did not mean you could move to another country and not pay your dues. The lack of it now will mean that people wishing to travel in Europe more than 90 days will no longer be able to do so as the 90 days is for the whole Schengen area.

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Mar-21 15:40:53

If people haven't being taxes that would explain a lot Welshwife. It's incredible to think that people didn't think that leaving the EU would affect them.

Were we living in one of the member states, that would have been the first thing we'd have looked into.

Pantglas2 Sun 28-Mar-21 15:41:47

The 90 days in any 180 has always applied Welshwife which is why I stuck rigidly to it when staying at mi Casa over the last ten years.

From next year, anyone wanting to stay longer (while remaining UK resident) will be able to apply for an ETRIAS visa which lasts 3 years.

People have always flown under the radar abroad (and probably here in UK as well) and they’ve had almost five years to get their act together so no sympathy from me on that score.

lemongrove Sun 28-Mar-21 16:51:09

None from me either Pantglas... in fact it’s their own stupid fault.

lemongrove Sun 28-Mar-21 16:54:44

Smileless2012

I don't think you bothered to read my post did you Maizie.

Where did I say that the OP was moaning and complaining?

You assume incorrectly, that I have no sympathy for the disruption that leaving the EU has caused.

I was not naive enough to assume there wouldn't be disruption and like every other person who voted, whether it was to leave or remain, exercised my democratic right to do so.

Unlike so many though, I have neither the need nor the desire to keep fuelling the division and bad feeling.

Exactly, well said.????
The beauty ( if that’s the right word)? of GN is that you can revisit Brexit ( should we or shouldn’t we) for 4/5 years, with untold pages of complaining, real Groundhog Day stuff.
I wonder if ardent Remainers will have come to terms with it in ten years time.?

sodapop Sun 28-Mar-21 16:57:26

Same here Pantglas we know people living under the radar, not paying taxes, using EHIC cards etc. No sympathy from me either there has been plenty of publicity and help available.

Ginnytonic5 Sun 28-Mar-21 17:12:55

Pantglas2

The 90 days in any 180 has always applied Welshwife which is why I stuck rigidly to it when staying at mi Casa over the last ten years.

From next year, anyone wanting to stay longer (while remaining UK resident) will be able to apply for an ETRIAS visa which lasts 3 years.

People have always flown under the radar abroad (and probably here in UK as well) and they’ve had almost five years to get their act together so no sympathy from me on that score.

Pantglas2 ..unfortunately I think you may be wrong on the ETRIAS system ..you will have to apply for one as you say ..but ..it still does not allow you to stay over 90 days, it’s just a travel and track system that everybody will have to use so they can see when you enter and exit the Schengen zone. The only way to stay over the 90 days is to get Residency..I know as I have just had to do it ...even though I will still spend at least 5 months in the U.K. .

Dinahmo Sun 28-Mar-21 18:09:55

Smileless2012

And by substituting "France for EU" you have completely miss interpreted and miss represented my post Dinahmo. The EU isn't a country, it's a group of countries.

Yes, but France is part of the EU is it not. I still don't understand why, if the vote had gone the other way, would people be forced to stay in the EU against their wills? Perhaps you could explain that to me since I'm obviously being
stupid this weekend.

MaizieD Sun 28-Mar-21 18:16:04

I think she meant the 'institution' of the EU, Dinahmo, rather than the physical entity.

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Mar-21 19:55:04

Yes, that's what I meant Maizie. Had the result been to remain, those who wanted to leave would have been be forced to stay in the European Union.

Welshwife Sun 28-Mar-21 20:38:50

it would have been the status quo so no big changes anywhere.

I know the 90/180 rule was there previously but it was not actually applied by most of the countries. Now passports will be stamped each time you cross the border. Because of the pattern of our visits to France before we decided to move we did not stay more than three months at a time and about 5 months maximum over the year,
It will affect people who divided their lives between Europe and U.K. if they wish to stay for a six month stint. That is when they will need the new visa and I think they are limited in number.
There are a good few in France who are not in the system so will find thing more difficult. They are also likely to be found out - many have thought that if they pay tax in U.K. and earn no money in France they are safe but that is not how it works and you must register for income tax to live here legally.

Nandalot Mon 29-Mar-21 17:29:12

Just read this article on the effect Brexit is having on small businesses.
www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/29/small-business-exports-fall-eu-survey-brexit?CMP=share_btn_tw
Many are finding the red tape and delays to their exports mean it is no longer viable for them to continue to trade with EU. Big firms can get round this by opening an office in EU. Again, it is the ‘little’ person, as per thread title, that is suffering.

NotSpaghetti Mon 29-Mar-21 17:52:33

I have just received a Mother's Day gift from Italy.
It cost my son 44 euros plus shipping/duty taking it to around 70 euros.

I've just paid £27 to receive it.
?
It's obviously the thought that counts.... but like the Christmas token gifts (in the OP), not a thought I expect he will be having again any time soon.

Katie59 Mon 29-Mar-21 18:46:44

simtib

The whole leave campaign was a disgrace. It's main focus was on keeping the immigrants out and the vote showed this country up for what we are. It completely ignored the disastrous effect it is was going to have on many peoples lives keeping the immigrants was what mattered.

I have relatives in US and Australia, over the years quite a few parcels in both directions were sent, they were complicated and expensive to ship. So leaving the EU the hassle with delivery and cost is not a surprise to me, I’m just glad I don’t live in NI, where the best option is to buy from ROI.

M0nica Mon 29-Mar-21 19:45:54

DD is (hopefully) coming to the end of a couple of months on furlough caused, not by COVID, but Brexit.

Her job is organising funding for research projects, projects which are part of that wonderful scientific research led future that Boris sees ahead for us.

Unfortunately, most of the funding came from joint EU research funds, and we are no longer part of the EU and because Brexit was so rushed, nothing was done about sorting funding out and untangling UK funds until after Brexit happened.

So no funding, no research because of the lack of funding and people like her and the scientists doing the researching, sitting on their hands and whistling in the wind. She is lucky, she is on furlough, but a lot of scientists rely on research contracts, for work, so they are unemployed.

DD hopes to be back at work in mid-April, when the new funding system will be up and implemented, but funding contracts takes time and it will be at least June before the money comes through.

So six months of research time wasted doing nothing just waiting for funding flows to be reorganised. the same money, but in different places.

varian Wed 31-Mar-21 09:38:06

Catastrophic post brexit cuts to UK science funding

www.theguardian.com/science/2021/mar/31/uk-scientists-funding-cuts-grants-foreign-aid

Petera Wed 31-Mar-21 09:42:52

growstuff

No pandemic stopped the Erasmus scheme. When will you just accept that the government has reneged on some of the promises it made? It lied - there's no other word for it.

I couldn't agree more with this. I respect the fact that some people have different opinions - and I also recognise that there was a case to be made for Brexit which, for some, was convincing.

But the acceptance and repetition of all the lies, without even a no at a critical appraisal of them, just smacks of desperation.

DillytheGardener Wed 31-Mar-21 09:56:49

I’ve stated on here previously I voted leave but it impacted me in ways I didn’t expect. Both my sons in completely different fields, one in a city job the other in the arts both left the U.K. Younger son’s job was moved to an EU country due to Brexit and with it the job market for that role shrunk significantly. He chose to move away from the U.K. as he wished to keep working in that field as his training was in that role and he could foresee a recession looming and wanted financial stability in order to get his foot on the housing ladder. Elder son worked in the arts funded by EU grants. He couldn’t move to the EU as doesn’t have any EU heritage to use so instead moved to NZ with his partner as the arts funding is good there. I voted for Brexit not really understanding the implications. I feel the government has a duty of care to make sure that Brexit doesn’t set us back, and Boris Johnson hasn’t behaved in a diplomatic manner towards the EU so why would they want to give us any concessions?

Alegrias1 Wed 31-Mar-21 11:27:32

Thank you for that honest post DillytheGardener.

Dinahmo Wed 31-Mar-21 11:41:09

Dilly the Gardener I'm not intending to be rude or attack you personally. But I'm genuinely interested to know why you thought Brexit wouldn't impact you in the way that it has.

I'm interested to know that NZ has good arts funding because I remember working with a girl from NZ in the sixties who'd moved to London because she was especially interested in ballet and there wasn't a company in NZ. In fact very little arts culture at that time.

I'm sorry that your son has moved to New Zealand - a long way got go for a visit.

M0nica Wed 31-Mar-21 16:52:17

Varian I have read that link and sent it on to DD. It completely encapsulates the reason she and so many other scientists are furloughed or unemployed.

Both my AC work in research. One a scientist, the other in the humanities. DS's dept is No 4 in the world ranking of departments teaching his subject. The department now has as many post graduate as undergraduate students because of the quality of the reearch and teaching - but many of these students came to the department under the Erasmus scheme, which we have left and it is felt that the Turin scheme is not an adequate replacement.

Like DD he spends a lot of time scrabbling around for other sources of funds and writing proposals. DD's job is concentrated on the fundraising aspects. DS also has teaching and research responsibilitites. His dept can only hold their heads up internationally if their resaerch remains of a high enough quality.

Kapitan Wed 31-Mar-21 22:16:03

Every time I go on Gransnet there is someone moaning about Brexit. Don't like it? Tough. This country is so much better than the entire EU, as our 30 million jabs and COVID freedom compared with draconian lockdowns in France for example shows.