Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is political canvassing cold-calling?

(54 Posts)
AcornFairy Tue 30-Mar-21 09:34:48

With local elections looming we had our first canvasser on the doorstep yesterday. In spite of our yellow sticker requesting no cold-calling, our uninvited visitor rang the doorbell and waited on the doorstep for a response. As I had seen his approach from a window I knew he was not wearing a mask so I decided not to answer. I probably would have masked up myself and gone to the door had he been wearing one. But then my husband pointed out the “cold-calling” aspect, and said he had no intention of responding either. I guess canvassing is going to be rather different this time round ….

Nanette1955 Sun 04-Apr-21 10:48:06

Yes it is, selling you a concept, or a point of view is in my mind cold callling! X

nipsmum Sun 04-Apr-21 11:06:36

You really don't need to answer your door to anyone if you don't want to. I don't see it as a problem. Its a bit like the phone, if you don't want to talk to anyone you don't answer the phone. None of these things are an offense.

Mollygo Wed 07-Apr-21 10:30:21

nipsmum that’s true. There are callers I recognise e.g. Mormons, instantly recognisable as they come in twos and have amazingly white shirts, and I never answer the door.
Political canvassers are a chance to get things off my mind or even, occasionally give a word of praise. The nearest they get to selling is saying, “Are you going to vote xxx this time?” My unfailing response, “I don’t even have to tell my husband that!”They can’t sell me anything I don’t want.
I like to have the choice.