Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Conservatives have claimed Good Friday

(531 Posts)
suziewoozie Fri 02-Apr-21 23:04:23

Just when you think they can’t sink any lower

PippaZ Fri 16-Apr-21 08:34:09

So you've now decided to work as a group to stop anyone "interfering" with what you seem to consider to be "your" discussion. The three of you working together to create a deliberate block on the conversation.

You are acting like small children in a playground, gathered around another and chanting. I am beginning to think that all some want on Gransnet is to put their point of view and not be "troubled" by the views of others and especially not accept that their perspective as a valid one because, in your cases, you believe you have "God" on your side. So while you pass biblical passages backwards and forwards what do you think your God makes of this behaviour being carried out in His name which you throw about so easily?

Smileless2012 Fri 16-Apr-21 08:05:12

"arguing is pointless as well" I agree Onwardandupward especially when it interferes with an otherwise interesting discussion.

You can say that again lemongrovegrin.

PippaZ Thu 15-Apr-21 22:03:01

It doesn't matter how nicely you mean something or how well you express it, there will always be someone who thinks you said something else sigh.

You don't have to convince a "someone" OnwardandUpward. If those of you using your religion, to "have a bit of fun" or whatever you thought you were doing, truly believe in the Christian God I would have thought you would believe He sees what you do and how you treat people and that would be what matters.

I just wonder why it has taken so long to admit there could be another, valid, point of view, but thank you for doing so.

OnwardandUpward Thu 15-Apr-21 21:13:25

It doesn't matter how nicely you mean something or how well you express it, there will always be someone who thinks you said something else sigh.

It's also possible to say something that (to me) means one thing and then someone else to interpret that completely differently. I find it exhausting and in the past I've spent so much time trying to explain what I actually meant that the whole thing feels like a waste of time. We are all coming from different perspectives and there's no hope of all agreeing- yet arguing is pointless as well.

lemongrove Thu 15-Apr-21 20:24:22

Haha, certainly not easy on this thread Smileless?

PippaZ Thu 15-Apr-21 19:48:14

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Smileless2012 Thu 15-Apr-21 19:42:16

You're right about being a Christian not being an easy option lemongrovesmile.

PippaZ Thu 15-Apr-21 19:38:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Apr-21 18:43:41

This thread has evolved into something akin to Alice falling down the rabbit hole.

PippaZ Thu 15-Apr-21 18:25:27

I'm sure those Conservative MPs being seen as sleezy and dispicable would like to be able to call it hatred and make it a crime. However, where have you seen the stirring up of actual hatred Kapitan?

Gilead here we come I feel. It was corrupted fundamentalist Christianity they used against the population there I seem to remember.

Kapitan Thu 15-Apr-21 18:16:57

Surely, stirring up hatred against Conservative MPs and their supporters is a hate crime?

lemongrove Thu 15-Apr-21 17:53:49

Pantglas2

I wonder if the right wingers are also feeling sorry for themselves...

?
I was just thinking that Pantglas but if they do they keep it to themselves.
I have to laugh at the thought of being a left wing voter not being easy.It’s as easy as being anything else politically speaking.

PippaZ Thu 15-Apr-21 17:40:53

Sorry about the double post.

PippaZ Thu 15-Apr-21 17:40:30

I agree Smileless unpleasant goady posts should always be avoided rather than responded to.

I do attempt to avoid them lemongrove but some members have tried turning them into a sport I feel - perhaps the post this came from is a very good example.

Whatever childish attitude anyone has to the posts it really shouldn't mean that one person's views should be purported to be the only truth, to be accepted as that just because they shout to all and sundry that they are a Christian.

As yet we have not had to don the red clock and white poke bonnet even if every day under this government and listening to the newspeak on these boards our future looks more and more dystopian. Whatever nonsense posters come up with it is true that in this country, at least at the moment, that we don't have to believe that their view of Christianity - which speaks to their view of other religions - is the only truth or even a truth.

PippaZ Thu 15-Apr-21 17:40:30

I agree Smileless unpleasant goady posts should always be avoided rather than responded to.

I do attempt to avoid them lemongrove but some members have tried turning them into a sport I feel - perhaps the post this came from is a very good example.

Whatever childish attitude anyone has to the posts it really shouldn't mean that one person's views should be purported to be the only truth, to be accepted as that just because they shout to all and sundry that they are a Christian.

As yet we have not had to don the red clock and white poke bonnet even if every day under this government and listening to the newspeak on these boards our future looks more and more dystopian. Whatever nonsense posters come up with it is true that in this country, at least at the moment, that we don't have to believe that their view of Christianity - which speaks to their view of other religions - is the only truth or even a truth.

Pantglas2 Thu 15-Apr-21 17:22:53

I wonder if the right wingers are also feeling sorry for themselves...

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 17:22:17

lemongrove

I further agree that being a Christian doesn’t make one a saint here on earth and we need to try harder sometimes.Which is better though, than those who don’t try at all. Being a Christian isn’t an easy option.

Neither is being left wing

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 17:21:14

lemongrove

suzie why do you always bring ‘left wingers’ into any discussion at all? Do you feel hard done by? If so, why?

Because it’s what happens frequently on GN. There’s quite a bit of it about atm.

lemongrove Thu 15-Apr-21 17:19:06

suzie why do you always bring ‘left wingers’ into any discussion at all? Do you feel hard done by? If so, why?

lemongrove Thu 15-Apr-21 17:16:56

I further agree that being a Christian doesn’t make one a saint here on earth and we need to try harder sometimes.Which is better though, than those who don’t try at all. Being a Christian isn’t an easy option.

Madgran77 Thu 15-Apr-21 17:03:45

I think that is what I said Madgran.

Oh! hmm

PippaZ Thu 15-Apr-21 16:39:20

I think I'm about to be sick.

Smileless2012 Thu 15-Apr-21 15:34:30

Agreed suziewoozie perfection can be aspired too but never achievedsmile.

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 15:26:33

Superfluous ‘not’

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 15:25:36

Smileless2012

It's not easy suziewoozie and all I can do is try and when I fail, hope to do better next time.

Yes I know that but somehow that’s never an acceptable excuse when left wingers fail at not being perfect ?