Gransnet forums

News & politics

Northern Ireland is in more danger since Brexit

(132 Posts)
varian Wed 07-Apr-21 14:27:07

The Northern Ireland Justice Minister, Naomi Long of the Alliance Party, has expressed concern over the DUP meeting with a group representing loyalist paramilitaries to discuss opposition to the Northern Ireland Protocol.

DUP leader Arlene Foster, deputy leader Nigel Dodds and East Belfast MP Gavin Robinson met on Thursday with the Loyalist Communities Council (LCC).

The group is an umbrella organisation representing the UVF, UDA and Red Hand Commando.

Mrs Foster defended the meeting, saying it was "important that all communities have a voice in the political process".

But Justice Minister Naomi Long responded: "Proscribed terrorist organisations are not a legitimate part of our community. They aren't stakeholders to be consulted."

"They are a malignant force destroying our community. Our job as ministers is to eradicate paramilitarism, not give them a platform or legitimacy," the Alliance Party leader said on Twitter.

Loyalists have voiced anger over Northern Ireland's post-Brexit arrangements under the protocol, which ensures an open border with the Republic of Ireland but means extra checks and processes on trade from Britain.

www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/justice-minister-naomi-long-reacts-19915745

varian Fri 30-Apr-21 14:39:17

Apparently this creationist believes that the Earth is only 6000 years old and God created dinosaur fossils to "test our faith". On hearing about the "big bang theory" he said he'd seen many explosions and nothing good had ever come out of them!

You might think that someone who thinks this way could never get elected to anything but ex-VP Mike Pence is also a creationist.

suziewoozie Fri 30-Apr-21 13:38:58

MaizieD

suziewoozie

varian

Apparently the favourite is a religious fundamentalist and creationist who thinks that gay people should not be allowed to give blood.

The DUP is going to implode isn’t it? And not before time. Nasty misogynistic, homophobic bigots who May bought ( with limited success).

It's a bit worrying about what might explode before it implodes...

Odd to think that Foster was actually a 'moderate'.

Yes but there’s no stopping that is there sadly ?

MaizieD Fri 30-Apr-21 13:04:20

suziewoozie

varian

Apparently the favourite is a religious fundamentalist and creationist who thinks that gay people should not be allowed to give blood.

The DUP is going to implode isn’t it? And not before time. Nasty misogynistic, homophobic bigots who May bought ( with limited success).

It's a bit worrying about what might explode before it implodes...

Odd to think that Foster was actually a 'moderate'.

suziewoozie Fri 30-Apr-21 12:38:39

varian

varian Fri 30-Apr-21 11:05:59

"A prime minister who caused tens of thousands of bodies to pile high, while apparently fixing taxes for pals and contracts for cronies, has our eyes out on stalks. No one knows how deep in slurry Boris Johnson can sink and still swim out.

But history will record one great political crime above all the others, his tawdry dishonesties mere illuminations round its edges. The delinquent who miss-sold Brexit to half the nation with a stardust of false promises to secure himself the throne will leave behind the Brexit breakages long after he has gone.

The most serious so far is imperilling peace in Northern Ireland, as Arlene Foster is brought down by Brexit’s impossible contradictions. There were warnings: two former prime ministers spoke in Derry just before the referendum, when Tony Blair said there “would have to be checks between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, which would be plainly unacceptable”, while John Major warned of a “historic mistake” that would destabilise the Good Friday agreement. But Foster, an ardent Brexiter, dismissed this a “deeply offensive” remain scare story.

The DUP’s impossible Brexit stance will be inherited by whichever unlucky candidate succeeds her. Why back Brexit when Northern Ireland was against it and the border dilemma flashed a red warning? Why back Boris Johnson when, of course, he would rat on her with his UK-splitting protocol? Why didn’t the DUP demand the whole UK stay in the single market?"

Polly Toynbee

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/30/curtains-cash-johnson-brexit-peace-northern-ireland

varian Thu 29-Apr-21 15:08:31

Katie59 Wed 28-Apr-21 19:32:17

She’s gone
Not hard line enough
Who is in the running?.

varian Wed 28-Apr-21 18:44:23

She and her party were instrumental on inflicting the disaster that is brexit on the UK. Did they ever think through the consequenses? Where was the logic?

On GN we had many threads on the Irish question but they appeared not to see the impossible conundrum.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Apr-21 16:26:44

Arlene has been blamed for Brexit. She is a goner.

varian Sat 24-Apr-21 20:50:23

The English may well not be interested in NI but Putin is because his intention is to destabilise the West.

He succeded in getting Trump elected

He suceeded in achieving brexit

His next goal is to break up the UK.

Why did his tv network RT give Farage and Salmond their own shows?

I wonder who is next?

MaizieD Mon 19-Apr-21 07:27:47

Sorry. I don't quite see what Putin has to do with NI.

Wouldn't a whole new thread be more appropriate?

Completely changing the subject mid thread only reinforces the perception that the English aren't interested in NI.

Katie59 Sun 18-Apr-21 21:39:39

Putin will take every chance of mischief making in retaliation for what he sees as unjustified sanctions, regardless of what we think is right or wrong.

UK fighter jets have been sent to Romania to take part in a NATO exercise involving many other nations, the Queen Elizabeth is flagship along with a full complement of new F35 fighters and a carrier strike force. No doubt the US has its own naval forces close by.
Our own spy planes have been flying over Ukraine observing Russian forces. Russia is on full alert, any accidents could flare up into a major confrontation, there is only one ending we are in Russia’s backyard they have far more forces they will win, poke the Russian Bear and he will bite.

Let’s not get “ gung-ho” this is dangerous

varian Sun 18-Apr-21 19:04:38

Putin has already done irreparable damage to this country.

I think we all know why the Vote Leave government did not investigate the Russian interference in the fraudulent referendum of 2016.

nadateturbe Sun 18-Apr-21 17:48:29

Thanks MaizieD

MaizieD Sun 18-Apr-21 17:01:02

nadateturbe

I must look that up MaisieD. The NI problems and history is extremely sad but the Northern Irish humour has helped get us through. I know that's hard to understand.

Here's the thread I posted it on:

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1252915-Northern-Ireland-and-Brexit?pg=5

EllanVannin Sun 18-Apr-21 15:42:32

We'll all be in trouble if Putin kicks off ! Who's going to back us then ? Before Brexit Europe were our " friends " but I'm not so sure now.
I certainly won't be worrying about Northern Ireland.
Fighter jets in this country are being fitted with lasers as we speak in which to zap Putin. Putin is after 6 of his targets who are living in this country and the madman will stop at nothing.

A few countries are on stand-by----because of sanctions made against Russia, including us and the USA.

nadateturbe Sun 18-Apr-21 15:37:25

I must look that up MaisieD. The NI problems and history is extremely sad but the Northern Irish humour has helped get us through. I know that's hard to understand.

nanna8 Sun 18-Apr-21 14:15:08

Agree about Paisley, he was a disgrace. The politicians really need to sort this out because it will be so easy to slip back into the previous situation otherwise.

MaizieD Sun 18-Apr-21 12:10:54

nadateturbe

This is 29 minutes long. Patrick Kielty is an Irish comedian. It's very good and funny.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p099z1nh

Thanks for the link, nadaeturbe.

Funny, yes, but unbelievably sad.

I doubt if any of our Leave voters will listen. I posted a long thread of his from twitter a couple of years ago about the effect of the GFA and the threat Brexit posed to it. For the most part it was studiously ignored...

(BTW. I detested Ian Paisley, not because he was Irish, but because he was a blot on the christian religion)

nadateturbe Sun 18-Apr-21 10:52:06

He is indeed trisher in spite of his father being brutally murdered by loyalists.

trisher Sun 18-Apr-21 10:16:13

I'm going to listen to that on my phone nadaturbe thanks for the link. I remember reading about him and his father's death. He's a great example of neutrality- and he is very funny.

nadateturbe Sun 18-Apr-21 09:40:24

This is 29 minutes long. Patrick Kielty is an Irish comedian. It's very good and funny.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p099z1nh

varian Fri 16-Apr-21 18:11:53

The entire brexit nonsense was fraudulent.

The fraudulent referendum in 2016 was ill-conceived, and won by lies and foreign interference.

The fraudulent referendum was won by the billionaire proprietors of the righ-twing press, (all either foreigners or tax exiles) together with Vladimir Putin.

It was a poisoning of the very concept of democracy

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Apr-21 11:51:59

I wonder if this will run?

“Boris Johnson allegedly signed the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement on a "fraudulent" basis, the Court of Appeal heard on Monday.
belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Greyduster Sun 11-Apr-21 18:23:55

Thankyou for that explanation, Devorgilla. I’ve always thought it would perhaps be a progressive move toward blurring the sectarian demarcation lines, starting young before views have become entrenched. Hopefully they will damp these current difficulties down and move forward. As I said before the people of Northern Ireland - all of them - deserve better.