Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Phillip and flowers

(8 Posts)
Sallywally1 Sat 10-Apr-21 11:45:15

Am I the only one who thinks that laying flowers in the light of Phillips death is massively disrespectful when the royal family have said not to and to give the money to charity, particularly one which he supported? I don’t think he would have liked the flowers, being someone who did not want a ‘fuss’.

Kamiso Sat 10-Apr-21 11:49:21

There are always people who think they are the exception to the rule. It’s wrong but not much can be done to stop them if they ignore his wishes. Their wishes obviously trump his.

Harris27 Sat 10-Apr-21 11:50:40

It’s some way of paying respect for some.

EllanVannin Sat 10-Apr-21 11:59:43

How will those flowers look in a couple of days ?
The money spent could have been put into one of his schemes---the worldwide Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme.

Kate1949 Sat 10-Apr-21 12:05:16

I read somewhere that people were asked not to lay them.

JaneJudge Sat 10-Apr-21 12:06:27

Just let people get on with it. They are most probably the same people who have been flouting the Covid rules wink

Rosie51 Sat 10-Apr-21 13:00:30

I really do not understand people saying they are showing respect for the man when they choose to ignore the wishes of his family who obviously knew him best. They are definitely putting their own feelings first. Perhaps a donation to charity isn't visible enough for them.

Smileless2012 Sat 10-Apr-21 13:06:49

I'm sure that the RF expected there would be people wanting to show their respects by laying flowers, despite being asked not too.

Is it disrespectful? Not in my opinion it's a touching tribute and at least they're wearing masks and leaving once their floral tributes have been placed.