Gransnet forums

News & politics

That Settles It!

(29 Posts)
Calendargirl Thu 15-Apr-21 07:12:06

It’s been announced the Queen has stated no uniforms to be worn at the funeral of the DofE.

So no one will feel left out.

Wise decision.

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 07:22:34

Absolutely - very astute. The optics would have been awful. It solves the Harry issue and actually it will make them all look more human.

BlueBelle Thu 15-Apr-21 07:52:28

No only Harry but Andrew too, and why all the uniforms and medals anyway ?? Are they really all earned ?

Anniebach Thu 15-Apr-21 08:07:29

Armed forces, police, paramedics , look less human !

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 15-Apr-21 08:13:29

I always thought it was to represent the Services that they were Patrons of.

Otherwise Edward and Anne would be the ones in civvies, not sure about the other ‘minor Royals’ assuming that the Queens cousins etc. are attending the funeral, but most of the men wear ceremonial uniforms.

Grammaretto Thu 15-Apr-21 08:15:31

I think what's meant Anniebach is no uniforms at the funeral, not an end to all uniforms per se. That's another subject.

Alegrias1 Thu 15-Apr-21 08:16:50

That's good. Just the 700 servicemen and women in uniform then.

Small family funeral hmm

Anniebach Thu 15-Apr-21 08:22:32

The service men and women are not mourners , will not attend
the funeral service, same as the police who will be on duty in
Windsor.

Alegrias1 Thu 15-Apr-21 08:25:14

Why are they having to rehearse then?

To be clear, I don't have much need with a guard of honour kind of set up. But let's stop calling it a simple family funeral.

Sarnia Thu 15-Apr-21 08:29:40

If you can believe the papers Prince Andrew threw a wobbly when told he could not wear uniform. I would think that's the least of his worries.

Alegrias1 Thu 15-Apr-21 08:30:33

Much beef, not much need.

Daisymae Thu 15-Apr-21 08:33:44

Apparently Andrew had instructed his tailors to start a new uniform. Can imagine the Queen saying right, no one gets to dresup. What a tight rope they have to walk.

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 08:36:15

Anniebach

Armed forces, police, paramedics , look less human !

You know I did not say that at all and anybody not looking for a fight knows exactly what I meant .

Anniebach Thu 15-Apr-21 08:56:21

suziewoozie you said they will look more human , I don’t do
fights, I read what is said and reply, do you ponder over posts you reply to and think ‘wonder what she really meant’.

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 08:57:09

Anniebach

suziewoozie you said they will look more human , I don’t do
fights, I read what is said and reply, do you ponder over posts you reply to and think ‘wonder what she really meant’.

You know what - I’m not going to bother further

vegansrock Thu 15-Apr-21 08:57:50

Andrew wanted to have an Admirals uniform instead of the Vice Admiral one he usually dresses up in. Can’t imagine why he didn’t want to be associated with Vice.

Anniebach Thu 15-Apr-21 09:03:36

And Harry said he was going to wear a uniform he was not entitled to wear .

eazybee Thu 15-Apr-21 09:06:02

Rather than bothering with petulant princes, I was charmed by the announcement that The Royal Pigeon Association plans to release ten birds each in 65 cities at midday on Saturday, as a tribute to Prince Philip, who was a fan of the sport.
Perhaps umbrellas will be a necessity.

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 09:17:15

You can imagine the scene can’t you
PA - snot fair I want to go as an Admiral. <stamps for> Its my turn < wails>
PH - well if he’s going as an Admiral, I want to wear my uniform too.< sulks>
Q- well no-one’s going to wear a uniform them - that settles it. <takes off crown and regally stalks out>

Anniebach Thu 15-Apr-21 09:19:20

? it would be those two spoilt brats

Polarbear2 Thu 15-Apr-21 09:19:22

Brilliant. Wonder if it was her decision or a flunkies (is that a word?). Whichever it’s a very good one. ??

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 09:36:10

Polarbear2

Brilliant. Wonder if it was her decision or a flunkies (is that a word?). Whichever it’s a very good one. ??

We’ll never know but I do hope it means she’s getting some wiser advice now - there’s been some seriously poor advice around recently which has not served her well

nadateturbe Thu 15-Apr-21 09:54:00

Suziewoozie grin

merlotgran Thu 15-Apr-21 10:07:34

Poor Queen. What a flipping nightmare. Andrew and Edward are the only princes to have actually seen active service and should be entitled to wear the uniform of the rank they held when they retired. Ditto Prince Charles.

Prince Edward ducked out of the Royal Marines and Anne's rank is honorary yet they would be wearing uniform were it not for the hoo-ha.

I'm sure the DofE would be muttering, 'Oh, just get on with it!'

Love the comment about Vice, vegansrock grin

maddyone Thu 15-Apr-21 10:25:12

Well the Queen’s decision has settled it. Very wise decision.