Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wills and Harry rift blown out of proportion

(448 Posts)
ExD Mon 19-Apr-21 14:28:24

I've thought all along that the so-called "feud" between the brothers has been exaggerated by the media. Brothers fall out as anyone with sons will tell you. Usually they make it up and everything is forgotten, but with Harry leaving the country and the press delighting in nasty gossip, a small disagreement has grown into all out war.
At least one reporter thinks as I do.

7news.com.au/entertainment/prince-philip/body-language-expert-reads-between-the-lines-as-harry-and-william-reunite-c-2621430

ExD Mon 19-Apr-21 15:32:39

Oh dear.
I thought I was sharing a bit of cheering news - something to make you smile.
I wish I hadn't bothered.

Jabberwok Mon 19-Apr-21 15:44:13

As has been said, making accusations in the sure knowledge that the subjects of the conversation have have no means of defending themselves, at least not publicly is unfortunate to say the least. As my late mother once said, 'be careful what you say because however many times you apologise, however much you regret it, you can never unsay it' I don't think these people have apologised for the deep hurt and bewilderment they obviously created together with the embarrassment they clearly caused Archbishop Welby,(why would you do that? it's inexplicable) but I could be wrong.

Anniebach Mon 19-Apr-21 15:47:33

And spare a thought for the Anglican priests who had to tell
couples - ‘sorry no, you can’t have a private marriage in the garden ‘, only to hear ‘Harry and Megan did’

Alegrias1 Mon 19-Apr-21 15:50:59

ExD

Oh dear.
I thought I was sharing a bit of cheering news - something to make you smile.
I wish I hadn't bothered.

WWM2 did warn you ExD grin

FWIW, I think that the press will take any opportunity to create a story, and this was an open goal for them. And there are plenty of people who are desperate to find a stick to beat someone with if they don't adhere to certain arbitrary standards of behaviour. As you can no doubt see....

When you see the pictures of the Queen sitting by herself at the funeral, of course you feel sorry for her, but they have taken the opportunity of snapping a picture before the other mourners arrived - the Queen was the first one in at that side of the chapel, remember. The press manipulate us and it doesn't just stop with the RF.

Anniebach Mon 19-Apr-21 16:00:27

The press did not manipulate the Oprah interview

Jabberwok Mon 19-Apr-21 16:15:56

Actually there are photos of the Queen sitting on her own during the service, and I think it would be a hard heart indeed who couldn't feel some sympathy for this very elderly stalwart lady at this time of great grief.
As you say Annie, the press did not manipulate the Oprah interview which would be pretty shameful in any family. 0h yes,those poor clergymen!! Awkward, to say the least!

lemsip Mon 19-Apr-21 16:18:30

oh dear, this'll run on and on and on.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 19-Apr-21 16:24:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Kali2 Mon 19-Apr-21 16:26:46

Oh I do wish the Press, and all of us- would leave them to it.

Namsnanny Mon 19-Apr-21 16:34:44

It's not a wonder to expect any social commentator, in print or digital to discuss what ever happens out there in the big wide world.

It's the language use to discuss it that causes a problem.
And of course language includes the use of lies and obfuscation.

Quite clearly the use of both is not the proviso of just the press.

Using you as an example Alegrias ( if you dont mind, apologies if you do grin)

desperate to find a stick to beat someone

Is a derogatory phrase based o your personal interpretation, and not born out by simple observation. On this thread anyway.

As for the queen sitting on her own. She was.
Her being the first one in was simply because she is the queen, remember.

It seems you feel this was a phot op. to manipulate the publics feelings of sympathy towards her and/or the RF.

But she is widowed. She has no consort or husband now.
She is on her own in this respect.
At worst all that was done was emphasise that.
No manipulation, no stick.

There is another way of looking at the coverage of her.

It could have been the powers that be, wanted to show she wasnt being treated any differently than any other mourner, at any other funeral, in respect of the covid regulations.

I dont know, but healthy debate doesnt happen in the stifling atmosphere of bad feeling that is so often seen on the internet.

We aren't at war here. We should be able to stand up and debate like grown ups.

In fact if we took our lead from the funeral and the way everyone who attended did so with restraint, I'd hazard a guess we'd all be a lot happier.

Her endeth my sermongringrin Haha!

Sorry if this post doesnt relate to the ones above, I left the thread for other things!

Anniebach Mon 19-Apr-21 16:36:49

Whitewave do not name me in your accusations of bitchy gossip.

Alegrias1 Mon 19-Apr-21 16:42:24

Don't mind at all Namsnanny.

I used to work in advertising (don't hate me) so I know how to manipulate an audience using appropriate images.

Two photos of the Queen at different times in the service. I felt heart sorry for her. But one picture is much better than the other at showing us how tiny she looked and how sad. And that's why its all over the press.

Sorry, off topic, but it is relevant to what the OP was talking about - the press deciding what we see.

Jabberwok Mon 19-Apr-21 16:44:07

As with Annie, no bitchy comments from me. Just stating the truth as can be verified.

Loislovesstewie Mon 19-Apr-21 16:51:11

I am not being bitchy;just pointing out that others in the RF don't have the opportunity to refute/deny or clarify anything that was said in the Oprah interview. They are hardly likely to go on worldwide television and give their side, are they?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 19-Apr-21 16:53:49

Saying it once constitutes genuine criticism, but repeating it time after time, and year after year constitutes in my opinion spite and bitchiness.

Lucca Mon 19-Apr-21 17:00:03

Goodness surely everyone knows by now anything negative said about Meghan harry or Diana is never “bitchy”

And anything negative said about Kate William Anne etc etc is absolutely bitchy (possibly lefty ?) and quite possibly treasonable.

Jabberwok Mon 19-Apr-21 17:02:57

No they're not that's for sure! A dignified silence is all you'll get from the RF. It doesn't make what was said any less hurtful. I think they kept the Oprah interview away from Prince Phillip as he was too ill to be upset by this charade. I think some people on here are hopeful that these upsets will be the catalyst that destroys the RF rather than fierce support for the Sussexes. If Saturday is anything to go by I think the RF are secure for the foreseeable future, thank goodness.

Anniebach Mon 19-Apr-21 17:05:30

In your opinion Whitewave not in mine. Was the Oprah interview years ago ?

The politic threads repeat what was said year after year, perhaps you should try to stop those posters who choose to repeat past events and speeches ? I don’t think they should be
stopped, why should any poster be accused of bitchiness for repeating facts ?

Anniebach Mon 19-Apr-21 17:09:35

Anyway, best to ignore accusations of bitching, else this thread will be stopped.

GrannyLaine Mon 19-Apr-21 18:59:01

To return to the link in the OP, in terms of interpretation of body language I didn't find it at all convincing, but it is one person's point of view. I was half listening to one of the discussions broadcast the night before the funeral, with one of the Royal correspondents and Arthur Edwards, long time Royal photographer. There was some speculation about whether the funeral might mark a beginning to healing the rift between Prince Harry in his immediate family. Arthur spoke very thoughtfully, but was pessimistic in his view about the prospect of that happening any time soon.

Namsnanny Mon 19-Apr-21 19:15:39

Alegrias ...
I dont agree that in this particular case there was any manipulation of the public.

The queen is a small sad widow.
To use a photo (without artificially enhancing it) to continue the narrative is acceptable.

grannyrebel7 Mon 19-Apr-21 20:08:08

Yes, once something has been said it can't be unsaid, but there is always forgiveness. I don't agree with what Harry & Meghan did. In fact I think it was a terrible thing to do, but let's hope they can all find a way to reconcile.

Elegran Mon 19-Apr-21 20:13:25

Namsnanny The photograph that has been in all the media was of the Queen sitting alone for the few minutes that it took for those who walked with the coffin to arrive at the chapel and join her. After that she had her son two seats away (the same spacing that is mandatory everywhere under CoVid rules) and some more of her family a few seats along from that, and behind her. Yet the picture that was chosen to appear by most papers (and the internet) was of her totally isolated in the choir.

It is a very powerful image of a widow, and one which everyone who has lost a partner will relate to, but was still chosen, out of all those of the whole family grieving a father, grandfather and greatgrandfather.

Alegrias1 Mon 19-Apr-21 20:18:29

Very well put Elegran.

We all know that the Queen will have to complete her reign on her own, and I find it just a bit manipulative on behalf of the press to keep showing us that this is the case.

I don't think that this is necessarily what the RF wants us to think about, I don't presume to know their minds. But I know the development of a constructed narrative in the press when I see one.

Elegran Mon 19-Apr-21 20:18:39

As for the "body language expert" who built a whole story on a hand position, hadn't he noticed all the other hands in his photo? Didn't he know - as part of his expertise - of the way that the serving military are trained to hold their hands when marching in formation, fists closed and thumbs forward? and the importance of training and habit in body language? Most of the men in that photo were ex-forces, and all would have been in the OTC at school.