Gransnet forums

News & politics

... and the sleaze goes on ...

(136 Posts)
PippaZ Tue 20-Apr-21 12:55:57

This is the latest email from The Good Law Project

We already knew that Boris Johnson had misled Parliament when he insisted in February 2021 that all COVID contracts were now “on the record”. Now we’ve uncovered a new contract that makes further nonsense of that claim.

In July 2020 Pharmaceuticals Direct Limited was handed a £102.6 million Government PPE contract - without any competition. Though it was awarded the multi-million pound deal to supply face masks last July, Government failed to publish any details relating to the contract until March this year. In fact, it was only after our lawyers wrote to Government about Pharmaceuticals Direct that this lucrative contract was disclosed, long after Boris Johnson claimed all contract details were on the record. The company’s named representative was a man named Samir Jassal.

Samir Jassal is a well-connected figure within the Conservative Party. A two-time Conservative Party parliamentary candidate and former councillor, he has met Boris Johnson on at least three occasions, with the last meeting held in October 2020. According to his LinkedIn profile, he was an adviser in No.10 during David Cameron’s premiership in 2015 and has worked with several other prominent Conservative Party figures, including the Home Secretary Priti Patel and Minister Zac Goldsmith. Jassal has also donated £4,000 to the Conservative Party in recent years.

This £102.6 million contract is not the only one handed to Pharmaceuticals Direct by the Department for Health and Social Care - the firm received an earlier PPE contract in May 2020, worth £28.8 million. Both deals were directly awarded to the firm without any competition.

The High Court has already ruled that Government acted unlawfully by failing to publish details of Covid-related contracts. The appearance of bias in some of these lucrative contracts awarded without competition is cause for even greater concern.

The more details that we uncover on PPE contracts, the more serious the questions that arise. In this case Government's apparent amnesia when it comes to its legal obligations has prevented timely public scrutiny of a multi-million pound direct award to a Tory party member and donor.

We intend to get answers. To hold Government to account and protect public funds, we have sent a pre-action protocol letter initiating legal proceedings.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Apr-21 14:16:15

Jonathan Lis

Today feels like a turning point. The Electoral Commission believes reasonable grounds to suspect an offence. Johnson rattled and deflecting at PMQs. The crisis gathering momentum and its various strands steadily converging. Every prime minister is invincible until they aren’t.

PippaZ Wed 28-Apr-21 10:29:35

You would be joining many of us GrannyGravy13. In some ways a complete collapse and re-organisation could be a blessing but I doubt that would happen - but then I didn't foresee a pandemic so no good relying on my predictions confused

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Apr-21 10:18:14

PippaZ it’s no secret that I am a Conservative. If all these allegations are proven I shall find myself politically homeless

PippaZ Wed 28-Apr-21 10:14:53

True and sorry. I have so far avoided all the RF posts and couldn't believe it had crept in elsewhere. I should have read it properly and not tried to do two things at once.

I notice the HuffPost has picked up on the Good Law information. This blending of party and government is really no suprise and yes, it is certainly very Trumpian.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Apr-21 10:04:11

PippaZ

Do we have to have the hijacking? Are the Con fans so afraid of talking about what their party and its leader is doing.

Could we just ignore the strawman posts?

Grany posted about Prince Andrew, Whitewavemark2 responded neither are Con fans (Unless they have seen the light )

I responded to their posts!!!!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Apr-21 09:56:56

pippa good idea

PippaZ Wed 28-Apr-21 09:55:09

Do we have to have the hijacking? Are the Con fans so afraid of talking about what their party and its leader is doing.

Could we just ignore the strawman posts?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Apr-21 09:50:25

Whitewavemark1 I think we need Dinahmo who has more Company knowledge than I have.

I would have thought that however the Company is structured if it is registered in the UK that Accounts in some form would have to be submitted annually?

MaizieD Wed 28-Apr-21 09:43:54

Whitewavemark2

Lucca

Re the flat improvements

When it was suggested that the flat was ok as was, one Tory said that you can’t expect the PM to live in a skip.

These people are unreal, aren't they?

How do they manage to get votes from the working classes? Or anyone, really?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Apr-21 09:29:57

Lucca

Re the flat improvements

When it was suggested that the flat was ok as was, one Tory said that you can’t expect the PM to live in a skip.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Apr-21 09:28:36

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

Grany

EXCLUSIVE: Prince Andrew has gone into business with a former Coutts banker who quit in disgrace over allegations of sexual harassment. They used a rare company structure to avoid filing public accounts.
@GeorgeGreenwood
& me on on
@thetimes
frontpage

Yes saw that but this really ought to go onto a RF thread.

There is a suggestion that Windsor set up the company before he was given the boot which would have been wrong.

Companies House will have a record of when the Limited Company was initially set up as the records are open to the public as will be the accounts (which have to be submitted yearly by law)

Not sure that is correct, they have used a weird company structure which avoids filing accounts etc.

Lucca Wed 28-Apr-21 09:25:47

Re the flat improvements

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Apr-21 09:22:01

Whitewavemark2

Grany

EXCLUSIVE: Prince Andrew has gone into business with a former Coutts banker who quit in disgrace over allegations of sexual harassment. They used a rare company structure to avoid filing public accounts.
@GeorgeGreenwood
& me on on
@thetimes
frontpage

There is a suggestion that Windsor set up the company before he was given the boot which would have been wrong.

Companies House will have a record of when the Limited Company was initially set up as the records are open to the public as will be the accounts (which have to be submitted yearly by law)

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Apr-21 09:14:43

Grany

@GeorgeGreenwood
& me on on
@thetimes
frontpage

Grany Wed 28-Apr-21 09:06:14

@GeorgeGreenwood
& me on on
@thetimes
frontpage

Kali2 Tue 27-Apr-21 21:29:11

Sleaze sounds quite of 'cute' - why use this term for what is, in real terms, multiple counts of pure FRAUD.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Apr-21 18:27:52

That post was copied from The Good Law Project

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Apr-21 18:26:55

This month brought us the alarming sight of Boris Johnson hijacking a taxpayer-funded Downing Street press conference – intended to provide the public with a vital COVID-19 update – to attack one of his political opponents.

And over the last few weeks, we’ve seen a worrying new trend of Government videos and social media content being misappropriated to advance Conservative Party political messaging. And, we believe, the costs of both are coming out of the public purse, not the party coffers.

Several recent Government videos carry the distinct look and feel of a party political broadcast, brandishing the Tory electoral slogan “Build Back Better”, but prominently using the No 10 crest. And when you compare this No 10 branded image alongside the landing page of the Conservative Party website, it’s virtually impossible to distinguish which is Government policy and which is party political campaigning.

Make no mistake, this is Trumpian stuff. Especially when you consider we are now just a few weeks away from the biggest set of local elections on this side of a general election.

It is a legal requirement for Government to have a published policy for how it maintains a clear dividing line between informative communications, which can be properly funded by taxpayers, and electoral material, which is governed by strict campaign finance rules. Otherwise, those in power could simply divert the resources of the state to hold onto power.

Worryingly, our lawyers have been unable to locate any such policy about ensuring Government communications are not used deliberately, or inadvertently, for party political campaigning. And so far Government has chosen to ignore our requests to provide us with a copy.

This issue goes to the very heart of our democracy. We cannot allow this misuse of state resources to go unchallenged. We have issued the first step in formal legal proceedings. Our Pre-Action Protocol letter can be found here.

The case will be crowdfunded. If you’re in a position to donate to the legal challenge, you can do so here: www.crowdjustice.com/case/feathering-party-nest/

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Apr-21 08:40:21

Kylie didn’t say.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Apr-21 08:26:37

That is what I thought MaizieD

MaizieD Tue 27-Apr-21 08:15:16

GrannyGravy13

*Whitewavemark2*was that when David Cameron was PM?
as Mr.Kyle’s tweet does not make it clear.

I'm pretty sure that was when Cameron was PM.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Apr-21 08:06:39

Simon Case - the Cabinet Secretary was given a hefty drubbing yesterday when he appeared in front of the select committee yesterday and consistently refused to answer their questions.

Such lack of transparency does not aid Johnson’s cause nor give confidence that the leaks are not based on good evidence.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 26-Apr-21 16:08:12

Whitewavemark2was that when David Cameron was PM?
as Mr.Kyle’s tweet does not make it clear.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Apr-21 15:57:52

Peter Kyle MP
@peterkyle
·
24m
We’ve just discovered #Greensill had a Downing Street pass, IT equipment and desk...but no contract or job description.

The culture in Downing Street is a petri dish for corruption.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Apr-21 10:07:35

More than £2bn in contracts politically connected to Tories may have come through priority channel, suggests new report
opendemocracy.net

“Systematic and partisan bias”