Gransnet forums

News & politics

... and the sleaze goes on ...

(136 Posts)
PippaZ Tue 20-Apr-21 12:55:57

This is the latest email from The Good Law Project

We already knew that Boris Johnson had misled Parliament when he insisted in February 2021 that all COVID contracts were now “on the record”. Now we’ve uncovered a new contract that makes further nonsense of that claim.

In July 2020 Pharmaceuticals Direct Limited was handed a £102.6 million Government PPE contract - without any competition. Though it was awarded the multi-million pound deal to supply face masks last July, Government failed to publish any details relating to the contract until March this year. In fact, it was only after our lawyers wrote to Government about Pharmaceuticals Direct that this lucrative contract was disclosed, long after Boris Johnson claimed all contract details were on the record. The company’s named representative was a man named Samir Jassal.

Samir Jassal is a well-connected figure within the Conservative Party. A two-time Conservative Party parliamentary candidate and former councillor, he has met Boris Johnson on at least three occasions, with the last meeting held in October 2020. According to his LinkedIn profile, he was an adviser in No.10 during David Cameron’s premiership in 2015 and has worked with several other prominent Conservative Party figures, including the Home Secretary Priti Patel and Minister Zac Goldsmith. Jassal has also donated £4,000 to the Conservative Party in recent years.

This £102.6 million contract is not the only one handed to Pharmaceuticals Direct by the Department for Health and Social Care - the firm received an earlier PPE contract in May 2020, worth £28.8 million. Both deals were directly awarded to the firm without any competition.

The High Court has already ruled that Government acted unlawfully by failing to publish details of Covid-related contracts. The appearance of bias in some of these lucrative contracts awarded without competition is cause for even greater concern.

The more details that we uncover on PPE contracts, the more serious the questions that arise. In this case Government's apparent amnesia when it comes to its legal obligations has prevented timely public scrutiny of a multi-million pound direct award to a Tory party member and donor.

We intend to get answers. To hold Government to account and protect public funds, we have sent a pre-action protocol letter initiating legal proceedings.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Apr-21 09:29:57

Lucca

Re the flat improvements

When it was suggested that the flat was ok as was, one Tory said that you can’t expect the PM to live in a skip.

MaizieD Wed 28-Apr-21 09:43:54

Whitewavemark2

Lucca

Re the flat improvements

When it was suggested that the flat was ok as was, one Tory said that you can’t expect the PM to live in a skip.

These people are unreal, aren't they?

How do they manage to get votes from the working classes? Or anyone, really?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Apr-21 09:50:25

Whitewavemark1 I think we need Dinahmo who has more Company knowledge than I have.

I would have thought that however the Company is structured if it is registered in the UK that Accounts in some form would have to be submitted annually?

PippaZ Wed 28-Apr-21 09:55:09

Do we have to have the hijacking? Are the Con fans so afraid of talking about what their party and its leader is doing.

Could we just ignore the strawman posts?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Apr-21 09:56:56

pippa good idea

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Apr-21 10:04:11

PippaZ

Do we have to have the hijacking? Are the Con fans so afraid of talking about what their party and its leader is doing.

Could we just ignore the strawman posts?

Grany posted about Prince Andrew, Whitewavemark2 responded neither are Con fans (Unless they have seen the light )

I responded to their posts!!!!

PippaZ Wed 28-Apr-21 10:14:53

True and sorry. I have so far avoided all the RF posts and couldn't believe it had crept in elsewhere. I should have read it properly and not tried to do two things at once.

I notice the HuffPost has picked up on the Good Law information. This blending of party and government is really no suprise and yes, it is certainly very Trumpian.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Apr-21 10:18:14

PippaZ it’s no secret that I am a Conservative. If all these allegations are proven I shall find myself politically homeless

PippaZ Wed 28-Apr-21 10:29:35

You would be joining many of us GrannyGravy13. In some ways a complete collapse and re-organisation could be a blessing but I doubt that would happen - but then I didn't foresee a pandemic so no good relying on my predictions confused

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Apr-21 14:16:15

Jonathan Lis

Today feels like a turning point. The Electoral Commission believes reasonable grounds to suspect an offence. Johnson rattled and deflecting at PMQs. The crisis gathering momentum and its various strands steadily converging. Every prime minister is invincible until they aren’t.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Apr-21 14:54:19

Mr. Dysons version of events.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Apr-21 15:08:11

Once Johnson has made his WhatsApp and text messages available we can begin to piece together the truth.

Nandalot Wed 28-Apr-21 15:35:00

markdsikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/3400-33.jpg
Just to see the sort of items Johnson is spending his? money on, this is allegedly the table purchased for £3000. Also wallpaper at £840 a roll.

Dinahmo Wed 28-Apr-21 18:17:32

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark1 I think we need Dinahmo who has more Company knowledge than I have.

I would have thought that however the Company is structured if it is registered in the UK that Accounts in some form would have to be submitted annually?

It's an unlimited liability company which means it's not required to file accounts at Companies House. It's rare because the vast majority of people setting companies require the protection of limited liability. So if you set up a company with £100 share capital, that is the limit of the shareholders' liability.

varian Wed 28-Apr-21 18:41:18

I seem to remember that when Dyson relocated his company HQ to Singapore, and was accused of doing it for tax reasons, he said that there would only be two of his staff moving there so tax had nothing to do with it. Really?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Apr-21 19:24:20

Thank you Dinahmo I knew you would know

PippaZ Thu 29-Apr-21 10:18:50

Going back to yesterday and PMQs I do have to say I think Johnson showed just how he looks in a temper. Keir Starmer had done his usual forensic questioning for Johnson to reply "The right honourable and learned gentleman is a lawyer, I am given to understand.”

When you start such mean-minded, playground comments, that insult one of the countries highly thought of QCs and, by implication, insult the office of state that he held you are clearly out of your depth.

This being the case he should surely just come clean.

varian Thu 29-Apr-21 10:27:13

Eddie Mair interviewed Boris Johnson before he became PM and challenged him on his past behaviour including offering to give the address of someone he wanted "duffed up"". For once the waffling and bumbling act did not work. Eddie Mair told him that the truth was that he was "a nasfy piece of work".

He was right, wasn't he?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Apr-21 12:29:10

A group of Doctors are in court this morning bring a case against the government and the dodgy PPE contracts.

Hope they get somewhere.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Apr-21 12:29:54

varian

Eddie Mair interviewed Boris Johnson before he became PM and challenged him on his past behaviour including offering to give the address of someone he wanted "duffed up"". For once the waffling and bumbling act did not work. Eddie Mair told him that the truth was that he was "a nasfy piece of work".

He was right, wasn't he?

Was that where Johnson tried to get another journalist beaten up?

varian Thu 29-Apr-21 13:36:32

Yes. Eddie Mair was standing in for Andrew Marr on his Sunday morning show and was possibly more direct in his questioning than AM might have been .

Perhaps that may be one of the reasons that Eddie Mair no longer works for the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation.

varian Thu 29-Apr-21 13:48:21

A new report has revealed that £2.1billion worth of COVID contracts were handed to companies politically connected to the Conservative Party.

Many of these will have benefited from access to a 'VIP lane', knowledge of which appeared to be "confined to only those within the party of government in Westminster".

Unlock Democracy is supporting calls for a fully independent inquiry and today we are launching a new action targeting tainted donations.

We're writing to the Conservative Party Treasurer asking him to hand over donations received from individuals and companies that benefited unfairly from COVID contracts.

We believe the money should go to the NHS.

secure.unlockdemocracy.org.uk/page/81458/petition/1?ea.tracking.id=email&ea.url.id=5281041

NotSpaghetti Fri 30-Apr-21 11:23:46

I think calling it “sleeze ” minimises the extent of the problem.
It brushes over what is basically corruption, lies, fraud, cronyism...
Just calling it “sleeze” sounds as though some of it is really petty - or even made-up.
It is not.

varian Fri 30-Apr-21 18:56:27

Criminality caused by greed and an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

"Rules only apply to the little people - not people like us"

"Isn't it just brilliant that the little people keep voting for us?"

Kali2 Fri 30-Apr-21 20:04:13

NotSpaghetti

I think calling it “sleeze ” minimises the extent of the problem.
It brushes over what is basically corruption, lies, fraud, cronyism...
Just calling it “sleeze” sounds as though some of it is really petty - or even made-up.
It is not.

Totally agree. IT IS NOT