Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mr Johnson and Mr Cummings

(745 Posts)
Iam64 Fri 23-Apr-21 18:55:04

Demonic has suggested that Mr Johnson has been not entirely honest about his communications with James Dyson.

I recognise many people believe Mr J was ‘doing his best for the country in a pandemic’ when he offered to sort the tax for Mr Dyson. But, do we want ethical government or not?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Apr-21 08:04:30

Mind you the sight of Johnson having a sweaty breakdown was something to behold.

I think we could call it The Cumming’s Revenge.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Apr-21 07:58:37

maizie spot on.

MaizieD Thu 29-Apr-21 07:53:43

His party political broadcast in answer to the last question from the LOTO is quite a clever strategy. Has anyone else noticed that he says just about the same things every time. It's like he goes into automatic pilot and just spits out a familiar script. It reminds me of the article I read about him giving the same after dinner speech time after time, with the same accompanying tricks.

Why is it clever?

Well, most importantly, there's nothing so good as repetition for fixing a message in people's minds.

It is economical for him. He doesn't have to think up an appropriate response, just launch into the script. It's a literal 'no brainer' ?

Like the after dinner speech, it's a technique that has worked really well for him. Why change it?

Iam64 Thu 29-Apr-21 07:50:18

Johnson was rattled during yesterday’s PMQs. The DM today has a couple of articles that acknowledge his unreliable approach to his personal and professional life.

I can’t be the only person who finds the level of spending on temporary accommodation staggering. It’s public property, with a budget of £30,000 a year for maintenance. I accept I’m dead common because I’d have been happy to live with John Lewis furnishings and fixtures. It just seems frankly scandalous to transform the apartment in such a way. The next PM will have to live with that until they spend another fortune on refurb.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Apr-21 07:40:24

So after yesterday’s PMQs are we any further forward into the saga of the alleged corruption, lies and fraud relating to the Prime minister?

First Starmer asked him if he did say “let the bodies pile up”

Johnson’s answer was “No”

So let’s take him at his word as it is now recorded for the world to see in Hansard. No one would be so stupid/arrogant to lie knowing this and take the risk of witnesses being prepared to come forward would they?

Starmer reminded Johnson that lying to the House was a resignation offence. It would be left at that (pause) for now. (that felt quite threatening)

Starmer then asked Johnson if he paid the initial invoice (of £200000) for the flat refurbishment.

Johnson answered by talking about the EMA and that Blair had spent £350000 over his term in No10.

So Johnson failed to answer the question. Now I take from that, that coming up with a good excuse/lie is still work in progress and at the moment I think we may take it that Johnson is guilty as charged.

Not guilty of having expensive tastes, but guilty of breaking ministerial code. Johnson has form when it comes to breaking the law and lying.

There are numerous other issues that need addressing but this will do for now.

Iam64 Thu 29-Apr-21 07:36:12

Is it usual for the PM to use pmq’s as a party political broadcast. Johnson made a number of references to government ‘successes’ when advising people to vote conservative in the local elections.
Brass neck of the man. Labour councils have had funding slashed by his government, while Tory councils in wealthy boroughs had theirs increased.
Shameless

vegansrock Thu 29-Apr-21 03:11:57

Is it the final curtain?
Or sofa so good?

Lucca Wed 28-Apr-21 22:24:47

varian

Johnson and Cummings are both disreputable liars without any shred of integrity or good character.

Cummings is said to live in fear of being jailed because of the lies and illegality which led to brexit.

Johnson is a narcissist who exploited his ability to pass himself off as a blameless bumbling idiot to achieve his ambition to become PM.

He is completely out of his depth, but seems to be able (according to some senior Tories) to be able to get away with anything. Why?????

Couldn’t agree more ! You have hit the nail on the head.

Callistemon Wed 28-Apr-21 22:14:54

Is it curtains for Boris?

Washerwoman Wed 28-Apr-21 21:58:22

Not a single mention on the BBC News website of Sir James Dyson statement today I notice.

Aveline Wed 28-Apr-21 21:56:19

vegansrock gringringrin

vegansrock Wed 28-Apr-21 21:47:22

Now it’s cash for curtains.

Callistemon Wed 28-Apr-21 21:21:31

With all that is happening here and around the world, I cannot worry about this at all.

However, it could be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Callistemon Wed 28-Apr-21 21:14:33

Pantglas I wish!

It was a robust steamer - a machine unfortunately!

Callistemon Wed 28-Apr-21 21:12:56

Are they William Morris?

✋ Me!
(I paid my tax)

Pantglas2 Wed 28-Apr-21 21:12:10

When we decided to paint over it, it proved impossible so we had to hire a robust wallpaper stripper

After 15 pages, this is the most intriguing sentence I’ve read in a while Callistemon ? Was he handsome?

Callistemon Wed 28-Apr-21 21:10:44

She could take the curtains with her, couldn't she?
Or do they belong to us now?

First dibs anyone?

Urmstongran Wed 28-Apr-21 20:58:57

Boris won’t resign! Carrie’d kill him. She’s only just had their apartment refurbished don’t you know! No point all that upheaval and then handing in your notice.
?

Oldbat1 Wed 28-Apr-21 20:52:53

Very disappointed with the Speaker - he does nothing. Johnson never answers a question and nothing is said. Johnson is allowed an easy ride and spouts out his rubbish party political nonsense . Hopefully the truth will out. I cannot stand liars. John Bercow is certainly missed by me.

PippaZ Wed 28-Apr-21 20:51:53

Urmstongran

Well it shows he was committed to his manifesto promise. ?

Only having one for a whole parliament is a bit lacking though smile

PippaZ Wed 28-Apr-21 20:48:29

This isn't a General Election so not a lot of use looking at the current polls. They are not even a great deal of use for the 6th May as it is a different election in different parts of the country and who knows what would happen if Johnson had to resign (not likely but more possible than I have ever seen previously) before the day.

Urmstongran Wed 28-Apr-21 20:08:48

You might not like the result PippaZ as Boris is still ahead in the polls. Even today, surprisingly for some.

Urmstongran Wed 28-Apr-21 20:07:30

Well it shows he was committed to his manifesto promise. ?

PippaZ Wed 28-Apr-21 20:03:34

GrannyGravy13

Mr.Johnson fulfilled his election promise, we have left the EU.

So his job is done. Could we have an election now then, please?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Apr-21 19:56:08

GrannyGravy13

Mr.Johnson fulfilled his election promise, we have left the EU.

Well whoopee! At what terrible cost?