Gransnet forums

News & politics

Protest March in London today

(57 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Sat 24-Apr-21 17:32:21

From what I can gather the protest seems to be anti-lockdown, anti-vax, anti-masks and they want to reopen the UK.

Let’s hope the scientists are correct and that the chances of catching Covid-19 outside are extremely slim.

Lillie Sat 24-Apr-21 20:26:52

I am fed up with these protestors too.
But they are a small minority.
The statisticians who advise on all the restrictions must have factored this kind of event into the figures, so I believe we are still on course.

varian Sat 24-Apr-21 20:30:26

We have so many idiots 8n this country thanks to the right wing tabloids

GrannyGravy13 Sat 24-Apr-21 20:36:43

varian

We have so many idiots 8n this country thanks to the right wing tabloids

Oh if only all and sundry Left of centre were so perfect?

Galaxy Sat 24-Apr-21 20:41:04

If any of them were under 30 they will barely know what a tabloid is.

varian Sat 24-Apr-21 20:56:37

The under thirties may not buy newspapers but they can ztill be influenced by the poison of the right wing tabloids.

I believe that the Mail Online is the most widely read English language news website in the world.

Urmstongran Sat 24-Apr-21 21:02:45

Protesters are out in Brighton too this evening. Just seen them on SKY news.

Lillie Sat 24-Apr-21 21:08:12

But protestors like the Luddites and the Matchwomen existed before tabloids. Protests go way back. Nothing to do with Mail online.

grandmajet Sat 24-Apr-21 22:20:31

What a bunch of idiots. They may be a small minority, but for the police who have to try to deal with it they are a significant mob with no morals and no idea of responsibility towards the society they live in.

lemsip Sat 24-Apr-21 23:31:47

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9507223/Thousands-anti-lockdown-activists-march-central-London.html

Eight officers injured when protesters bombard police with bottles after 'Unite for Freedom' demonstrations turn violent as thousands of anti-vaccine passport activists including TV presenter Beverly Turner and Laurence Fox take to the capital's streets.

maddyone Sat 24-Apr-21 23:41:20

Galaxy

Wearing the yellow star is just so offensive I dont even have the words for it.

Me too. I’m speechless, it’s just awful. I wonder if they really understand the significance. I wonder if they’ve actually bothered to read any first hand accounts of the Holocaust. I wonder if they’ve visited any former concentration camps. It’s simply incomprehensible to me.

Callistemon Sat 24-Apr-21 23:44:44

varian

The under thirties may not buy newspapers but they can ztill be influenced by the poison of the right wing tabloids.

I believe that the Mail Online is the most widely read English language news website in the world.

I find it very interesting that two brothers could have such different views, if your theory is correct, varian.

Jeremy Corbyn spent years trying to bring the Labour party back to its leftwing roots from where it was on the centre left and his brother Piers must be influenced by vile, poisonous rightwing publications such as the Mail online as it was he who was one of the organisers of this protest, I believe.

The psychology of this dichotomy must be fascinating.

Callistemon Sat 24-Apr-21 23:45:50

Galaxy

Wearing the yellow star is just so offensive I dont even have the words for it.

Sickening.
Are they too dense to realise?

Callistemon Sat 24-Apr-21 23:50:37

Lillie

But protestors like the Luddites and the Matchwomen existed before tabloids. Protests go way back. Nothing to do with Mail online.

The Chartists too - a beautiful mosaic mural depicting them was wantonly destroyed by a Labour Council.

Sparkling Sun 25-Apr-21 06:30:13

I'm fed to the back teeth with these selfish protestors who care nothing for our police and the rest of us in a pandemic, we are too soft on them.

Jabberwok Sun 25-Apr-21 17:42:08

Dear God, wearing a yellow star? Unbelievably awful. A case of 'Father forgive them etc '

Chestnut Sun 25-Apr-21 18:38:49

Callistemon

varian

I find it very interesting that two brothers could have such different views, if your theory is correct, varian.

Jeremy Corbyn spent years trying to bring the Labour party back to its leftwing roots from where it was on the centre left and his brother Piers must be influenced by vile, poisonous rightwing publications such as the Mail online as it was he who was one of the organisers of this protest, I believe.

The psychology of this dichotomy must be fascinating.

Someone has to explain how the Mail online is responsible for Piers Corbyn organising a march like this, and for the under 30s to be going on said march. Exactly what 'poison' has made them do this?

Callistemon Sun 25-Apr-21 20:34:42

I wasn't agreeing with varian's post, Chestnut, just amazed that it was presented as a viable theory.

There is no evidence that those two statements in varian's post are linked - at least no evidence has been presented here.

Chestnut Sun 25-Apr-21 23:04:51

Sorry Callistemon just trying to make sense of it all, which is virtually impossible when the waters are muddied by conspiracy theorists.

Callistemon Sun 25-Apr-21 23:31:20

?

nanna8 Mon 26-Apr-21 01:31:29

Turn hoses on them. They need hosing down and cooling off.

Dinahmo Mon 26-Apr-21 14:02:59

Two callers on James O'Brien this morning trying to explain why they were marching. The first started talking about our freedoms and rights of access as included in the Magna Carta. The second, a woman, when asked where she got her news from said she never watched tv or read newspapers but she looked on line at sites like the WHO, the BMJ and those of others respected organisations. When James explained that these were all in favour of vaccinations and lockdowns she then said she talked to doctors all over the world and that she was in touch with thousands of people who all had similar views. She was actually a very sad lady and she ended in tears.

It seems that many of them think that their rights are being away and that they are being forced by the govt to have the vaccination. They also mention their sovereignty.

EllanVannin Mon 26-Apr-21 15:17:17

The Indian variant won't recognise the under 30's unfortunately when it hits our shores.

varian Mon 26-Apr-21 19:40:18

This what Mail readers were being told last October.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8810977/Coronavirus-Anti-lockdown-petition-calling-herd-immunity-reaches-30-000-signatures.html

Chestnut Tue 27-Apr-21 09:37:53

No wonder the Mail online has such a large readership, even the haters read it avidly! ?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Apr-21 09:49:25

Chestnut

No wonder the Mail online has such a large readership, even the haters read it avidly! ?

It does appear to be the go to publication for many...