Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anyone understand why Johnson is so far ahead in the polls?

(1001 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Apr-21 07:16:19

I don’t.

PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 12:13:57

GrannyGravy13

Khalid Mahmood Labour MP for Birmingham has written a good article in the spectator www.spectator.co.uk it sums up where Labour have gone wrong (in my opinion)

It seems to be behind a pay wall GrannyGravy13.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 11:17:06

Khalid Mahmood Labour MP for Birmingham has written a good article in the spectator www.spectator.co.uk it sums up where Labour have gone wrong (in my opinion)

Urmstongran Sat 08-May-21 11:06:34

I think it says about me growstuff that I was sick and tired of those Brexit deniers trying every which way to thwart the result of the referendum. All those ‘indicative votes’ in the HoC. Such arrant disregard for the result that they did not like and refused to accept. Bye bye!

growstuff Sat 08-May-21 02:31:49

Urmstongran

You do count Casdon in Wales. I just think some of us (in England) are understandably talking about the results here today (such as Hartlepool, whoop whoop!).

The most satisfying thing about these results is not beating Labour, it's remembering the likes of Soubry, Gauke, Hammond, Grieve, Letwin et al, and imagining how defeated and demoralised they must feel seeing BJ win so big in a mid term election!

You mean the Tories with some sense of what public service means? The ones with a few decent values?

What on earth does it say about you that you can rejoice that such people have been defeated?

suziewoozie Fri 07-May-21 22:55:04

Callistemon

suziewoozie

MayBee70

Urmstongran

Now why on earth would we want to be Australia or NZ MayBee? Complete shut down, no one in or out. Totally rubbish vaccine roll out?

No thanks.

Coming from someone who supported Trump....

Not true none in or out - facts facts facts - such a nuisance

Not true none in or out

On the whole true: very few in or out, even Australians with ill family members unable to return there or those wishing to come to Britain for the same reason.

Facts, facts, facts.

Figures fir just one month - facts facts facts

Key statistics

Provisional estimates of overseas trips in March 2021 show:
32,900 arrivals, a 27.4% increase compared to the previous month
14,300 Australian citizens arrivals (43%), 6,700 permanent residents (20%), 5,100 New Zealand citizens (15%) and 6,900 temporary visa holders (21%)
32,400 departures, a 1.2% decrease compared to the previous month

MerylStreep Fri 07-May-21 22:03:33

Callistemon
I’m all for that. Who better to know local issues than local people ?

Callistemon Fri 07-May-21 21:44:23

MerylStreep

Casdon
I love the whole of the uk. If wales, or Scotland decide they want to leave the uk I will be sad but I respect the will of the people in that that is what they want.

I think that Wales will remain part of the UK, that it will remain mainly Labour whoever is in power in Westminster but increased powers may mean those who would want independence would be pacified.

Galaxy Fri 07-May-21 21:37:02

I know I just dont want it to be like the x factor. I dont care what people look like. And if I did I would want someone who could brush his hair.

Witzend Fri 07-May-21 21:32:34

FGS, Galaxy, of course I didn’t mean that. But Starmer does look rather grim and joyless by comparison.
And rather more joyless today, unsurprisingly enough.

Callistemon Fri 07-May-21 21:31:01

suziewoozie

MayBee70

Urmstongran

Now why on earth would we want to be Australia or NZ MayBee? Complete shut down, no one in or out. Totally rubbish vaccine roll out?

No thanks.

Coming from someone who supported Trump....

Not true none in or out - facts facts facts - such a nuisance

Not true none in or out

On the whole true: very few in or out, even Australians with ill family members unable to return there or those wishing to come to Britain for the same reason.

Facts, facts, facts.

Gannygangan Fri 07-May-21 21:30:28

Alegrias1

Scotland was predominantly Tory in the 1950s. I'm trying to find some numbers but its nearly time for Gogglebox smile

Well I didn't know that Alegrias1

And many thanks for the reminder about Gogglebox smile

Urmstongran Fri 07-May-21 21:15:21

Oh Casdon that was quite poignant. ‘the end of an era’.
I can understand your sadness.

Genuinely.

Urmstongran Fri 07-May-21 21:09:08

I just think Keir Starmer drones on so much he is boring to listen to.

Casdon Fri 07-May-21 21:06:23

Wales has never been a predominantly Tory country, historically it was Whig/Liberal. I feel quite sad today, as my constituency was the last Lib Dem stronghold in Wales in the Senedd, but our MS (who was in fairness very good indeed) stood down, and today it’s become a Tory seat. End of an era.

JaneJudge Fri 07-May-21 21:02:48

Boris Johnson looks pretty fucked all the time tbh
what the hell grin

Urmstongran Fri 07-May-21 21:00:43

True Casdon. Quite true. A bit of distance (from Westminster) often leads to a better perspective.

Perhaps the promise by Boris to do some ‘levelling up’ will make a big difference in the next couple of years and Wales will benefit that way?

The pandemic has derailed his intentions to some degree but he’s not daft. He knows voters only lent him their support to Get Brexit Done. Now he has to deliver on his promises to keep those votes. I sincerely believe he will.

Galaxy Fri 07-May-21 20:58:29

Being married without shagging someone else is now being a joyless puritan?

Witzend Fri 07-May-21 20:56:56

I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s at least partly down to his air of cheerful optimism.
Starmer looks pretty grim.

As for those curtains, I honestly don’t think most people give a toss. Ditto the umpteen women - people often prefer a ‘lovable rogue’ to someone who looks like a joyless Puritan.
Yes, it’s all very superficial, but appearances do often count for a lot.

suziewoozie Fri 07-May-21 20:56:07

Urmstongran

You do count Casdon in Wales. I just think some of us (in England) are understandably talking about the results here today (such as Hartlepool, whoop whoop!).

The most satisfying thing about these results is not beating Labour, it's remembering the likes of Soubry, Gauke, Hammond, Grieve, Letwin et al, and imagining how defeated and demoralised they must feel seeing BJ win so big in a mid term election!

But what’s happening in Wales and Scotland ( and will happen in N Ireland) will impact England . Your Hartlepool whoop will be somewhat hollow in the longer run.

Alegrias1 Fri 07-May-21 20:43:19

Scotland was predominantly Tory in the 1950s. I'm trying to find some numbers but its nearly time for Gogglebox smile

Gannygangan Fri 07-May-21 20:37:34

England has the majority of the UK's population.

But it's very true that Wales and Scotland are not voting Conservative.

I'm not sure about past governments but I know after Margaret Thatcher was PM the Tories died in Scotland. I'm too sure if they were ever particularly popular.

Is it the same in Wales? Have the Conservatives ever held a majority of seats?

I agree, Casdon, the divisions are vast. Who knows what will happen in the future.

MerylStreep Fri 07-May-21 20:32:50

Casdon
I love the whole of the uk. If wales, or Scotland decide they want to leave the uk I will be sad but I respect the will of the people in that that is what they want.

Casdon Fri 07-May-21 20:30:35

That’s one seat though Urmstongran, I can understand English Tory supporters being happy about that of course, but I don’t think it compares in importance with the evidence of the growing divisions between the nations. Maybe it’s just us out here who can see it so starkly.

Alegrias1 Fri 07-May-21 20:26:57

So, all negative then?

The most satisfying thing is that there is a group of people you disagree with that will be (in your imagination) mightily p***ed off?

One thing I'll give the Scots Tories credit for, as the first results were coming in they were saying they ran a negative campaign and didn't give the voters anything but "we're not the SNP", and were talking about how they need to get past that.

Urmstongran Fri 07-May-21 20:20:50

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion