Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stampede at religious site in Israel, with awful loss of life.

(15 Posts)
lemongrove Fri 30-Apr-21 13:48:09

Just watching on the news the footage of a stampede at a religious site in Israel, a hundred thousand people attended.
Forty four dead so far, people crushed including children, just awful.Apparently only about ten thousand were expected to attend ( which still seems a lot) given it’s not long since people were vaccinated there.
Let’s hope the death toll doesn’t escalate, what an awful thing to have happened.

Galaxy Fri 30-Apr-21 13:50:50

It's just awful. It reminds me of Hillsborough, I cant imagine how frightening it must have been.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 30-Apr-21 13:58:44

Dreadful images, so sad.

silverlining48 Fri 30-Apr-21 14:08:49

Sounds dreadful but how was it allowed in the first place? Are there no rules about this in Israel? 100,000 people is a massive crowd and an inevitable stampede horrendous.

Sarnia Fri 30-Apr-21 15:06:23

Packed religious gatherings are thought to have spiked India's current wave. Far too risky at the moment.

GillT57 Fri 30-Apr-21 15:11:59

Dreadful, but why on earth was this permitted? We are forever being told how well Israel are doing with their vaccination programme, so why did the authorities allow this? Religion must not be allowed to override health precautions and regulations; the footage of masses on the banks of The Ganges just before the appalling upsurge in covid19 was appalling too

BlueBelle Fri 30-Apr-21 15:12:13

Sarnia Israel has vaccinated its entire population so I wouldn’t think there’s any rules about large gatherings

GillT57 Fri 30-Apr-21 15:44:02

Not true Bluebelle. As of 29th April, Israel had vaccinated 60% of it's population and regrettably, many members of ultra Orthodox groups, such as those attending yesterday's religious festival, are not vaccinated.

Smileless2012 Fri 30-Apr-21 16:55:55

It reminded me of Hillsborough too Galaxy it's a terrible tragedy.

Hithere Fri 30-Apr-21 17:08:37

Why was it allowed?

Religion does not exclude using common sense, even in times of no pandemic.

What safety measures did they have in place? Crowd control, exits, etc.

Galaxy Fri 30-Apr-21 17:13:59

Israel really doesnt need our advice on how to manage covid.

MaizieD Fri 30-Apr-21 17:27:53

Hiilsborough. And, was it Ibrox Park in the 50s?

It's an absolute tragedy which could happen anywhere that there is a huge press of people going down steps in an uncontrolled way.

So sorry for the families of the victims.

Alegrias1 Fri 30-Apr-21 17:49:17

Ibrox was 1971 MaizieD, remember it like it was yesterday.

This event in Israel is just awful, it sounds like someone slipped and there was no way to avoid a crush of people. Terrible.

MaizieD Fri 30-Apr-21 17:52:48

Alegrias1

Ibrox was 1971 MaizieD, remember it like it was yesterday.

This event in Israel is just awful, it sounds like someone slipped and there was no way to avoid a crush of people. Terrible.

Why can't I DM you, Alegrias?

Can you DM me?

Marydoll Fri 30-Apr-21 18:43:31

My uncle was a spectator at the Ibrox match. It was awful, not knowing what was happening, especially as we didnt even have a landline.

The numbers at the Istaeli gathering were shocking. A terrible tragedy.