Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should the speaker give opposition a chance to debate the importance of truth

(14 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-May-21 10:24:50

Listening to Bercow, he has indicated that all the opposition leaders have asked for a debate over truth in parliament.

I agree with Bercow when he said it matters not a jot whether the electorate do not see the principle of integrity and truth as important.

In Bercow’s opinion the principle of truth in parliament is being flouted and democracy is suffering as a result.

I agree that a debate is needed and if necessary legislation tightened to expect our government to stick to the principle of truth.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-May-21 10:56:16

You are not wrong WW but I cannot see it happening anytime soon.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-May-21 11:03:52

What has the government got to lose?

It should be a win win surely?

Doodledog Sun 02-May-21 11:06:28

I agree absolutely, and can’t imagine why any honest person would object.

A politician who lies to the House, to the public in a party political broadcast or to a tv interviewer should be expected to resign immediately, and if they have personally benefited from the lies they should be prosecuted.

NotSpaghetti Sun 02-May-21 11:12:44

I agree too.
But it won't happen

trisher Sun 02-May-21 11:16:42

Can't see any point in debating something the government has and is constantly doing in breech of the guidelines and historic practice. Let's face facts even if they were shown to be lying about every single statement made by every single minister nothing is going to happen. It's just a waste of parliamentary time.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-May-21 11:17:04

If however the government ignores the request - )not sure why the speaker can’t make time for the debate? - he is weak isn’t he?) then can we assume that the government has something to hide?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-May-21 11:18:00

trisher

Can't see any point in debating something the government has and is constantly doing in breech of the guidelines and historic practice. Let's face facts even if they were shown to be lying about every single statement made by every single minister nothing is going to happen. It's just a waste of parliamentary time.

Then you are willing to allow the situation to continue and not tighten the situation with legislation?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-May-21 11:20:01

I think the Governments argument could be too busy dealing with Covid, post Brexit and opening up the UK for any other debates to be scheduled. (Just a hunch)

trisher Sun 02-May-21 11:24:16

Whitewavemark2

trisher

Then you are willing to allow the situation to continue and not tighten the situation with legislation?

The government is lying. The government has a majority of 80. Even supposing such legislation could be got through (and I doubt it) there would then be the problem of who is to administer such a law and it would require the ending of Parliamentary privelege, which is of much more importance than a bunch of liars holding power for 5years.

Oldbat1 Sun 02-May-21 13:07:31

I think John Bercow was an all round much better Speaker than the current speaker who comes across to me as being weak. I listened to him on Radio 4 this morning.

eazybee Sun 02-May-21 13:32:24

John Bercow thinks the principle of truth in parliament is being flouted and democracy is suffering as a result.
John Bercow?
Hah!

M0nica Sun 02-May-21 14:07:28

Politics could not exist if people didn't stick like glue to their version of the truth.

Whenever I talk to two people on opposite sides of some problem; political, family, or personal , I soo realise that both sides belief with absolute confidence that there version is the real truth and the other side is lying.

Any discussion of truth other than a completely philosophical one would be a complete waste of time and breath. The two sides would pass each other like trains in the night, talking to their own acolytes, and absolute;y convinced thay they had the monopoly of truth.

Such a debate would be a self indulgent waste of time.

Doodledog Mon 03-May-21 01:18:38

I agree up to a point, M0nica, but some things are matters of fact, not opinion.