Gransnet forums

News & politics

France threatens to cut power to Jersey amid fishing row

(287 Posts)
Blossoming Wed 05-May-21 15:07:52

What an absolutely ludicrous threat by Annick Girardin. I’m not a Brexiteer, but I cannot think of any way to defend this.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56984886?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IND_INSIDE_POLITICS%202021-05-05&utm_term=IND_Brexit_CDP

Kali2 Fri 14-May-21 12:15:56

www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/jersey-caves-as-macron-blocks-financial-services-deal-amid-fishing-row-269300/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=sfeu

Kali2 Fri 14-May-21 12:15:14

Not so fast - fishing right are linked to other rights and issues- and can't be separated. Not seen the end of this, it seems.

Jersey has handed French fishermen more time to meet new fishing rules an effort to solve a tense fishing rights dispute.

The extension until 1 July is a sign of “good faith” that the row over France’s post-Brexit rights can be resolved, the Government of Jersey said.

''An ongoing row over access to the UK’s fishing territory saw France and Britain send patrol vessels to Jersey last week, to monitor a protest by French trawlers in St Helier harbour.

Meanwhile it has emerged that Paris is blocking a post-Brexit financial services deal between the EU and Britain until Boris Johnson hands fishermen greater access to British waters.''

Mamie Thu 13-May-21 14:55:00

Lemongrove I am inclined to reply "well you would say that wouldn't you?" ???
Still, good to see the Jersey government has now backed down and the status quo will remain.

Lin52 Thu 13-May-21 13:35:39

By the way kali2, if Norway wishes to sell, then we can buy.

lemongrove Thu 13-May-21 13:34:43

Mamie

Listening to the fishermen speaking on the French news it seems more complicated than just not filling in the paperwork. There were people who had filled it in properly and ended up with something totally incorrect when they received the permit.

Well...they would say that wouldn’t they??

Lin52 Thu 13-May-21 13:34:08

Kali2

MaizieD

Buffybee

I think the threat by France to cut off the electricity to Jersey will backfire on them.
I’ve read that instead of looking to France for our future electricity needs, we are considering Norway to be perhaps a better option.

Why should Norway provide us with electricity?
Why can't we generate all our own electricity?

I thought we were a splendid, world beating nation able to stand proudly on our own two feet without being obliged to anyone. It's a bit pathetic to have to go crawling to Norway for our electricity, isn't it?
Especially as the mean b*ggers won't let us share their fish...

Well, if you are going to really really make your neighbours angry by your terrible, unreasonable behaviour, and make it abundantly clear your word cannot be trusted - make sure beforehand you don't seel all your essential utilities to them ... I'd say!

www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/28/uk-electricity-from-renewables-outpaces-gas-and-coal-power?back=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fclient%3Dsafari%26as_qdr%3Dall%26as_occt%3Dany%26safe%3Dactive%26as_q%3DHow+much+electricity+does+the+UK+generate+through+green+power%26channel%3Daplab%26source%3Da-app1%26hl%3Den.

effalump Thu 13-May-21 13:20:42

What can I say about the French. Probably like going round hitting people with their baguettes and throwing their dummies out of the prams. wink

Namsnanny Mon 10-May-21 11:44:51

Mamie

I think that is an over-simplification Namsnanny. Traditionally there has been a lot of paperwork, but I wouldn't say people hate it. We roll our eyes and get on with it. Far more is done electronically now - I even have a prototype vaccine passport on an app on my phone, uploaded after the second injection!

Yes I think it was an oversimplification, probably due to the constriction of my inability to put my pov quickly!

Lin52 Mon 10-May-21 11:33:07

Macrons threats, this is what a Putin would do, not something we should expect from a “friendly power”. He is a thug, and Somerset Brie is much nicer than the French version.

Kali2 Mon 10-May-21 10:31:45

MaizieD

Buffybee

I think the threat by France to cut off the electricity to Jersey will backfire on them.
I’ve read that instead of looking to France for our future electricity needs, we are considering Norway to be perhaps a better option.

Why should Norway provide us with electricity?
Why can't we generate all our own electricity?

I thought we were a splendid, world beating nation able to stand proudly on our own two feet without being obliged to anyone. It's a bit pathetic to have to go crawling to Norway for our electricity, isn't it?
Especially as the mean b*ggers won't let us share their fish...

Well, if you are going to really really make your neighbours angry by your terrible, unreasonable behaviour, and make it abundantly clear your word cannot be trusted - make sure beforehand you don't seel all your essential utilities to them ... I'd say!

Mamie Sun 09-May-21 11:57:23

Interesting to read that some of the protesting boats were from Jersey - also furious with the Jersey government!

Mamie Sat 08-May-21 13:30:42

Listening to the fishermen speaking on the French news it seems more complicated than just not filling in the paperwork. There were people who had filled it in properly and ended up with something totally incorrect when they received the permit.

Mamie Sat 08-May-21 13:24:38

I think that is an over-simplification Namsnanny. Traditionally there has been a lot of paperwork, but I wouldn't say people hate it. We roll our eyes and get on with it. Far more is done electronically now - I even have a prototype vaccine passport on an app on my phone, uploaded after the second injection!

Namsnanny Sat 08-May-21 13:17:15

I've always read that the French hate the bureaucratic nature of their gov. and rebel whenever they can.
Apparently there is a lot of unnecessary paperwork in all walks of life.
Must be tedious.

Namsnanny Sat 08-May-21 13:11:30

Your right ofcourse, but if a) the fishermen dont fill out the paperwork and b) it takes forever to go through all the differing depts.,the ministers wont be able to sort it and tempers will flare again.
A bit silly to bring into the already complicated situation talk of stopping electricity.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 13:07:50

Ellianne

Sure Namsnanny I was being a bit poetic.
What I mean is that it is for the ministers to sort out, not just for the average French fisherman to sign his document.

I read that 41 licences have been granted. The 17 that have been refused were due to not filing the details of their previous catches correctly and in several cases no details at all.

Buffybee Sat 08-May-21 13:06:47

Ellianne, you’re wrong, it is for the French fishers to provide Jersey with proof that they have historical rights to fish there.
The twenty three who did that were granted the licenses the ones who didn’t provide them did not.
How can Ministers sort a French boat owners paperwork out for him.
Ludicrous!!!!

Ellianne Sat 08-May-21 12:45:13

Sure Namsnanny I was being a bit poetic.
What I mean is that it is for the ministers to sort out, not just for the average French fisherman to sign his document.

Namsnanny Sat 08-May-21 12:34:36

The issue runs into far deeper waters
Could you explain a little more please Ellianne?

Ellianne Sat 08-May-21 12:05:59

I think it is more than just a bit of paperwork. In my experience the French are brought up on a diet of form filling in triplicate and rubber stamping documents very much by the date required. The issues here run into far deeper waters.

Buffybee Sat 08-May-21 11:51:23

MaizieD

Here's another informed article to shed light on the affair

westcountrybylines.co.uk/gunboats-at-the-ready/

The article tells us what we already know. Seventeen French fishers have not provided the correct paperwork to obtain their licence.
So instead of doing what they should do, they block St Helier harbour, ram a Jersey boat, some entered the harbour and some Jersey residents were afraid they could try to damage fishing equipment in the harbour.
The Uk is constitutionally responsible for the defense of Jersey.
So we sent in two Royal Navy boats to calm things down, which they did as the French scarpered when they arrived.
What would you have us do MaizeD,
leave Jersey to it?
Frankly, I think the French behaved deplorably.

suziewoozie Sat 08-May-21 11:42:05

MaizieD

Love his style but also a great explanation and analysis.

MaizieD Sat 08-May-21 10:43:40

MaizieD Sat 08-May-21 10:19:24

Buffybee

Above in reply to MaizieD at 00.24

I do wish that there was a 'heavy sarcasm' emoji.

Ellianne Sat 08-May-21 10:06:10

Alegrias1

I'm sorry I offended you Ellianne.

Maybe we can both point out to the posters who think it relevant to use the war in arguments about the French that this is entirely inappropriate.

No probs Alegrias I converted to Catholicism to marry a Frenchman!!

However, I agree with you, not just in threads about wars with the French, but calling people Hitlers in their job as on another thread here today.