Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Common Good Party - where will I find it?

(85 Posts)
PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 10:08:08

I do like reading Richard Murphy's blogs and often find them challenging my views. This one that caught my imagination

Let’s do it instead - turning our work, our communities, our finances, our government, our taxes, to common purpose. To deliver what we all need. Together, that is, because none of us are unaffected by this.

Let’s build the place we have to be.

That is a vision.

You need to read the article to get the details of his thinking but then can anyone tell me - Is there any chance of a Common Good Party and if so where will it come from?

varian Tue 11-May-21 12:55:03

growstuff

The Green Party isn't just interested in the environment. I'd like to see a party with a genuine commitment to mental health, which affects people from all groups. LibDem Norman Lamb did a huge amount for mental health, much of which wasn't acknowledged.

The Liberal Democrats have done a huge amount of good in many areas which is never acknowledged.

For instance party leader Ed Davey was the Energy and Climate change minister responsible for wide ranging reduction in energy consumption and Co2 emissions that the Tories now claim credit for.

How do they get away with it? - easy when they have all the billionaire newspaper proprietors championing their cause

nadateturbe Tue 11-May-21 12:40:54

Anniebach

What is - the common good, we are not cattle

Anniebach I don't get what you're saying.

PippaZ Tue 11-May-21 12:25:27

I agree Growstuff and I find the GP interesting. I can get piles of information into my email box from Labour and the LibDems but haven't found a source for Green Party information unfortunately.

growstuff Tue 11-May-21 11:56:53

The Green Party isn't just interested in the environment. I'd like to see a party with a genuine commitment to mental health, which affects people from all groups. LibDem Norman Lamb did a huge amount for mental health, much of which wasn't acknowledged.

Ilovecheese Tue 11-May-21 11:47:55

I think you might be right there growstuff the environment is important to the whole world.

growstuff Tue 11-May-21 11:34:55

I think the nearest to a "common good party" is probably the Green Party.

PippaZ Tue 11-May-21 11:33:13

M0nica

MaizieD Have you heard of something called a joke? Difficult to explain but a good dictionary should define it.

Although based on the evidence of last week's elections, especially where I live (Oxfordshire), it may not be a joke.

Not everyone shares the same sense of humour though unless this is now a diktat from the Tories. Does this mean we now have to laugh at Hoorays destroying a restaurant for "fun" at the discomfort of other dinners and at other tricks that the Eton crowd get up to because they were so entitled?

I always find it odd when someone on here tells someone else off for not getting their joke. In real life bad or unfunny jokes just get ignored and people don't comment about their own. The differences of online and RL I suppose.

growstuff Tue 11-May-21 11:25:14

I have seen the results of two recent polls. One claimed that 14% of over 60s and the other 20% of pensioners voted Tory, so possibly GN doesn't represent a cross-section of the population.

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 11:10:59

MaizieD Have you heard of something called a joke? Difficult to explain but a good dictionary should define it

Well, I did laugh, didn't I?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 11-May-21 10:08:28

M0nica

As London and the Home Counties go red, the parties seem to swapping their places in the political spectrum. The labour party is for educated privileged city dwellers and their rural equivalents and the Conservative party is the party for the poor and dispossessed.

??? I assume this was said with your tongue in your cheek?

PippaZ Tue 11-May-21 09:51:30

Actually, the sadness of my post to M0nica is that many of them don't seem to realise just how well off they have become on the backs of those who only have their work income.

PippaZ Tue 11-May-21 09:49:43

M0nica

As London and the Home Counties go red, the parties seem to swapping their places in the political spectrum. The labour party is for educated privileged city dwellers and their rural equivalents and the Conservative party is the party for the poor and dispossessed.

So are you actually suggesting that all the rampant Tories on GN feel they are poor and dispossessed, M0nica?

M0nica Tue 11-May-21 09:22:00

MaizieD Have you heard of something called a joke? Difficult to explain but a good dictionary should define it.

Although based on the evidence of last week's elections, especially where I live (Oxfordshire), it may not be a joke.

MaizieD Mon 10-May-21 22:40:52

The labour party is for educated privileged city dwellers and their rural equivalents and the Conservative party is the party for the poor and dispossessed.

Good heavens, MOnica. You do make me laugh

Tories are for the poor and dispossessed ???

Of course, it was the tories who set up all those food banks in Hartlepool, wasn't it?

M0nica Mon 10-May-21 20:55:39

PippaZ Mon 10-May-21 20:05:09

You can go on discussing the elections if that's what you want to do but with so many threads about it I was just allerting Varian in case she had the wrong one.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 10-May-21 19:55:50

That’s me as well then.

PippaZ Mon 10-May-21 19:47:25

varian

Our Local District Council has 82 Liberal Democrats, 14 Conservatives, 5 Independents and 1 Green Councillor.

What Labour Party???

Varian, are you on the right thread with this? It's not about the elections. There are two or three threads already running about that.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 10-May-21 19:09:17

Our council is Green.

Although Sussex is still Tory, it is gradually beginning to turn away from the Tories as the demography changes. Every election brings less votes for the Tories, which is gobsmacking given the history of the vote in Sussex.
The demographics are changing, as the traditional Tory voter is dying off, those left have no loyalty to the Tories.
Brighton was the first to totally reject the Tories. Worthing is only Tory by one seat, which is absolutely unheard of.

varian Mon 10-May-21 18:51:15

Our Local District Council has 82 Liberal Democrats, 14 Conservatives, 5 Independents and 1 Green Councillor.

What Labour Party???

PippaZ Mon 10-May-21 18:35:35

It would but this was/is a thread about the Common Good. I hope the LP start to think about it as it has been mentioned. I don't think constantly talking about just working people is enough. I shall list to hear if they say more - or any other party does.

I do appreciate that the Tories talk about "One Nation" but a) I don't think for one moment that half of them believe in any such thing and b) what does it mean other than not letting Scotland have another referendum.

varian Mon 10-May-21 15:57:01

There are many possible ways of doing things, but would it not be good to live in a country where all views are given equal weight and we are ruled by concensus, not by an elected dictatorship?

lemongrove Mon 10-May-21 14:59:45

As Monica and others say...all political parties act in their differing ways for the common good as they see it.
There could never be just one way of doing things.

lemongrove Mon 10-May-21 14:58:15

silverlining48

Just listened to r4 From our own Corespondent this morning and a report from Germany (famous for its long words) about all the new covid related words being used.
In passing he said that the Germans have an strong ethos of fairness which is why their politicians waited their turn despite offers to have it done early, and that included Angela Merkel. Instead of ordering vaccine at the start, which they could easily have done, they knew German people would not have been happy. So they waited for all the EU, rich and poor, and ordered it jointly. Which is why it has been so slow. It’s picking up I am happy to say especially as my dd lives there.

That’s their excuse is it! ?
I heard ages ago that the EU decided to act as a bloc in order to get the vaccines at a better price.
Still, the idea that you heard did give me some amusement.

PippaZ Mon 10-May-21 13:21:26

Interestingly both KS and Andy Burnham have mentioned the common good this morning ... ... ...