Gransnet forums

News & politics

Queens speech

(243 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 11-May-21 13:05:55

No bill for an overhaul of the social services as Hancock had promised.

Symonds has managed to get an animal sentience pledge in the bill I see.

Judicial review - Johnson hates to be told that he has broken the law, so he is going to change the ability of the judiciary to hold the government to account. The rule of law is being weakened.

Police bill- 10 years if you protest with noise. So silent protest only in future. I hope there is a massive silent protest against this bill. This is something that I would protest about.

This government likes taking our freedom away doesn’t it?

Alegrias1 Thu 13-May-21 20:33:13

Och, away with you. Done a survey have you? Or just making stuff up?

MayBee70 Thu 13-May-21 20:38:17

dayvidg

It just seems rather perverse to me that most of those decrying the (apparent) loss of our democracy that voter I.D. would cause, are the same ones who have spent the last 4 years trying to undermine the result of the democratic vote of the nation to leave the European Union.

The vote of England and Wales I believe. Not Scotland and N Ireland. So, imo the Scots and Irish are entitled to slag off identity cards as much as they wish. For my part, being English, I’m not too bothered about their introduction as long as every single person can easily get one therefore not losing their democratic vote. And I’m deeply suspicious of that.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 13-May-21 21:03:16

How quickly opinions/goal posts change???

Urmstongran Thu 13-May-21 21:12:56

Well said dayvidg. Good point actually.

Kali2 Thu 13-May-21 21:31:03

It would be a good argument if it had been democratic. It was nothing but.

MaizieD Thu 13-May-21 22:34:29

Urmstongran

It's not a good point at all. Democracy didn't come to a complete stop on 24th June 2016. Democracy includes the right oppose and the right to lawfully demonstrate ones opposition. Democracy is also supposed to have regard to the needs of minorities.

Democracy is about having free and fair votes and all communications in an election being available for everyone who wants to to scrutinise. And abiding by electoral law...

JohnD Thu 13-May-21 22:44:10

Many of those complaining about the Ids will have either a driving licence or a bus pass which, in a sense, is an Id card.

Alegrias1 Thu 13-May-21 22:47:14

JohnD

Many of those complaining about the Ids will have either a driving licence or a bus pass which, in a sense, is an Id card.

No they are not, and if you think they are you really don't understand what we are talking about.

They are not compulsory and you don't need to show them to access basic rights. And there is no chance of an officer of the law asking to see your bus pass so you can prove you are entitled to be here.

Urmstongran Thu 13-May-21 22:56:29

I still wouldn’t mind ID cards here. As in other European countries. The UK has changed so much over the years. I’d feel safer knowing who was walking our streets could be asked by the Police to prove themselves. It’s not a problem to carry our ID in Spain. You have to produce it if asked. I don’t think it’s a big deal this day and age. Maybe years ago. Now? Not so much.

Alegrias1 Thu 13-May-21 23:15:48

I’d feel safer knowing who was walking our streets could be asked by the Police to prove themselves.

Jeezy peeps ?.

grannybuy Thu 13-May-21 23:27:49

In Scotland, we didn't need to produce ID for our vaccinations, but we have to show it when visiting the tip!!

Callistemon Fri 14-May-21 00:25:19

bluelord

I didn't ..in Labour run Wales

Really? Mine was scrutinised very carefully both times when I went for my jabs.
Most people had passports and they put a sticker on your passport afterwards.

nanna8 Fri 14-May-21 03:03:20

We don’t have them where I live but in Queensland you have to show ID to vote. Mind you ,voting here is compulsory and you get fined if you don’t at least turn up or put in a postal vote. No one makes you actually vote,though and you can scribble all over your ballot paper if that floats your boat. There is a reason - most are that uninterested they wouldn’t bother which would mean the pressure groups would form a government so it makes sense in that way.

MaizieD Fri 14-May-21 08:15:35

Alegrias1

JohnD

No they are not, and if you think they are you really don't understand what we are talking about.

They are not compulsory and you don't need to show them to access basic rights. And there is no chance of an officer of the law asking to see your bus pass so you can prove you are entitled to be here.

Precisely.

Still no coherent and compelling reason apparent for compulsory voter ID.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-May-21 20:21:43

A compelling reason not to have IDs

Trump is urging the USA to follow the U.K. and insist on voter ID.

We know that he is heavily into voter suppression.

PippaZ Sat 15-May-21 09:41:25

Urmstongran

It's a very superficial point. What you seem to forget is that those "decrying" the referendum also put forward good arguments to say that was not democratic.

It seems that for some, as long as you are giving our democracy away to this government, and it is a means to the end they want, and treats citizens as they see them, they don't care about us losing it.

PippaZ Sat 15-May-21 10:47:38

The Queen's speech was an obvious attack on democracy, following all the rules that bring dictators to power. What some fail to recognise is that when our democratic rights are taken away they cease to exist for this government's followers as well as for those that oppose these moves towards the far-right. We may all hope for retaliation to bring in a centrist government but what if it gives birth to one that is as far to the left as this is moving to the right. Once those democratic rights are gone. How will these people like having an identity card then?

This is an excellent comment on the speech:

It [the Queen's Speech] scarcely lived up to the Brexiters’ billing of this as a moment of national liberation (£) from the supposed colonial yoke of the EUSSR (also known as the Nazi EU and the neo-liberal EU, which might suggest that Brexiters’ grasp of political philosophy is a little shaky). Rather, ‘taking back control’ turns out to be something of a damp squib. For which there is a simple explanation: it was an illusion.

Later, in the same article, it gives more instances of the destruction of our democracy:

Thus there were long-trailed provisions to hobble judicial review, to clamp down on public protest, to bring ‘woke’ universities to heel, and to discourage voting amongst the unwashed. No doubt it was designed to appeal to the kind of ‘red wall’ Tory voters that Labour sentimentalists still persist in regarding as their ‘heartlands’. It was also (or therefore), as David Allen Green observes, “a multi-pronged attack on our liberties” growing from the ‘authoritarian populism’ expressed in Brexiter notions of the ‘will of the people’.

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/05/10/parliament-cannot-blame-brussels-longer/
chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2021/05/labour-and-post-brexit-politics.html
chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/