Gransnet forums

News & politics

Great Britain warns EU that the Irish protocol cannot work

(30 Posts)
Alegrias1 Wed 12-May-21 11:45:55

I love a well reasoned political argument.

Lin52 Wed 12-May-21 11:39:57

Kali2

and that the EU has to be more 'pragmatic' - this is truly unbelievable.

All the experts showed clearly that this would be the case - and Johnson promised there would be no issue with imports, exports and paperwork, etc. And now they blame

the EU? Truly could not make it up.

Yes the EU needs to be more pragmatic, from their bullying tactics throughout, blaming OAZ for shortages when they did not order any vaccines, or not enough, my 70 year old sister in Germany only just got vaccinated. Their threats around Jersey, Macron must have been taking lessons from Putin, as my Remainer daughter said” if this is what they’re really like, I’m glad we left.” Funny how people support Scotland in its Independence.

Kali2 Wed 12-May-21 11:32:20

From the Irish Times

David Frost, the British cabinet minister in charge of relations with the European Union, has warned that the current operation of the Northern Ireland protocol is not sustainable for long. And in a hint at further unilateral action, he said Britain would “continue to consider all our options”.

Mr Frost has spent two days in Northern Ireland meeting businesses in a number of sectors affected by the new arrangements, including manufacturing, food and drink, retail, aerospace and life sciences.

“It’s clear from my visit that the protocol is presenting significant challenges for many in Northern Ireland,” he said. “Businesses have gone to extraordinary efforts to make the current requirements work, but it is hard to see that the way the protocol is currently operating can be sustainable for long. We’re committed to working through the issues with the EU urgently and in good faith. I hope they will take a common sense, risk-based approach that enables us to agree a pragmatic way forward that substantially eases the burdens on Northern Ireland.”

But HE negotiated the deal, and all the experts told him and Johnson it just could not work- the EU told them the same. But they went ahead- and now complain about the EU. Unbelievable.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-May-21 09:42:48

??

I can imagine what the EU is saying

Kali2 Wed 12-May-21 09:41:09

and that the EU has to be more 'pragmatic' - this is truly unbelievable.

All the experts showed clearly that this would be the case - and Johnson promised there would be no issue with imports, exports and paperwork, etc. And now they blame

the EU? Truly could not make it up.