Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Brexit Brain Drain

(18 Posts)
Kali2 Wed 02-Jun-21 22:32:13

How nice and helpful of you - I'll join you, lol.

growstuff Wed 02-Jun-21 21:48:47

Whitewavemark2

Martin prefers to exploit EU immigrants who are prepared to flog away for a pittance.

Poor Tim Martin! hmm Never mind! I'll help him with his staff shortages by never stepping foot inside a Wetherspoons.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Jun-21 21:33:22

History is going to show with pinpoint accuracy when Britain’s decline started.

growstuff Wed 02-Jun-21 21:22:31

Brexit has been a disaster for research funding and the supply of bright researchers. It's heartbreaking because the UK really does have some of the best science in the world, but it's already being weakened.

Deedaa Wed 02-Jun-21 21:04:19

My daughter's research group has been massively hit by Brexit. EU grants have obviously disappeared and she was dealing with millions of pounds worth. Post grad students from abroad are disappearing and the university is losing the money they would have brought with them. Researchers who have been worj=king here for some years are uncertain whether they will be allowed to remain, or indeed whether they want to. One poor woman with an English husband has ended up with one of her children eligible for a British passport while the other isn't although they were both born here. The whole thing is a total mess. Perhaps Boris can explain how we are going to produce "World Beating" science when we are cut off from so much now.

growstuff Wed 02-Jun-21 20:56:42

Or, to more exact, the housing element of Universal Credit.

growstuff Wed 02-Jun-21 20:56:01

EllanVannin

Unemployment money doesn't pay rent or the bills in this archaic system.

No, housing benefit is supposed to pay rent.

growstuff Wed 02-Jun-21 20:55:09

EllanVannin

If our own were allowed to keep their unemployment money and work and get paid, it would be more of an incentive to get up and go to work at these places.

It would also be more of an incentive for some employers to profit by not paying their staff what they're worth.

Ilovecheese Wed 02-Jun-21 20:52:28

EllanVannin you have just made a very good case for a universal basic income

EllanVannin Wed 02-Jun-21 20:50:53

Unemployment money doesn't pay rent or the bills in this archaic system.

EllanVannin Wed 02-Jun-21 20:49:50

If our own were allowed to keep their unemployment money and work and get paid, it would be more of an incentive to get up and go to work at these places.

Doodledog Wed 02-Jun-21 20:34:58

I think I would go if I were younger. The opportunities in my line of work have been massively curtailed by Brexit.

I hate to think that my children will decide to take their chances abroad, but I couldn't honestly blame them if they do.

It's such a mess, and all the worse for having been avoidable.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Jun-21 20:34:28

Martin prefers to exploit EU immigrants who are prepared to flog away for a pittance.

EllanVannin Wed 02-Jun-21 20:30:07

Discrimination ? What about our own who are out of work ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Jun-21 20:27:24

Mind you I guess he would do better if he paid a living wage.

Businesses who don’t and leave their employees in the unfortunate position of having to claim benefits are the real scrounges from the state. They are in effect getting a subsidy from the tax payer.

varian Wed 02-Jun-21 20:22:56

Wetherspoons boss calls for more EU migration as bars and restaurants tackle staff shortage

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/06/01/wetherspoons-boss-calls-eu-migration-tackle-bar-staff-shortage/

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Jun-21 20:08:06

Poor old Tim Martin (him who said businesses must adapt post Brexit and make their jobs attractive to potential employees) is have severe difficulties in finding staff apparently.

varian Wed 02-Jun-21 20:00:17

In August 2020 it was reported that -

"The number of British nationals emigrating to other EU countries has risen by 30% since the Brexit referendum, with half making their decision to leave in the first three months after the vote, research has found.

Analysis of data from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and Eurostat shows that migration from Britain to EU states averaged 56,832 people a year in 2008-15, growing to 73,642 a year in 2016-18.

The study also shows a 500% increase in those who made the move and then took up citizenship in an EU state. Germany saw a 2,000% rise, with 31,600 Britons naturalising there since the referendum.

“These increases in numbers are of a magnitude that you would expect when a country is hit by a major economic or political crisis,” said Daniel Auer, co-author of the study by Oxford University in Berlin and the Berlin Social Science Center."

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/04/number-of-uk-citizens-emigrating-to-eu-has-risen-by-30-since-brexit-vote

Many of us will have family members who have become part of the Brexit Brain Drain. These are predominately highly skilled graduates and professionals in their twenties, thirties and forties with valuable transferable skills , international in outlook , regretful about leaving Brexit Britain but wanting the best future for themselves and their children- a great loss to this country