Gransnet forums

News & politics

Catching up with what the government is doing

(92 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Jun-21 16:51:39

So much emphasis and focus has been on covid, that a lot of what is happening is sliding quietly by, particularly as the media contrive to hide a lot of information.

So perhaps we can begin to record important stuff that needs to be in the public domain.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 18:42:03

MaizieD

^And what does anyone expect the government to be doing in the middle of a pandemic? There’d be a whole lot of government bashing if they were failing to get to deal with the pandemic^.

As they've also failed to do that with any competence, maddyone we can just add it to the general bashing.. grin

???

So easy isn’t it?

lemongrove Thu 10-Jun-21 18:50:19

Yes, easy peasy to carp, moan and groan about the government from the comfort of your armchair ww but don’t worry, you are not alone, it’s always been a national sport.

maddyone Thu 10-Jun-21 19:10:50

As lemon says, it’s easy to carp and moan from your armchair Maizie. Especially if anything the government does won’t be good enough for some people.

GillT57 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:32:06

Callistemon I agree with your comments about London housing as reported in News at Ten. It is truly disgusting and whoever is in charge, irrespective of their political party must be held responsible. So, no, your post is not whataboutery. I keep trying to explain that my disgust with this Tory administration is not because they are Tory, it is because the current cabinet are liars, cheats, corrupt and unfit for office.

MaizieD Thu 10-Jun-21 19:42:28

maddyone

As lemon says, it’s easy to carp and moan from your armchair Maizie. Especially if anything the government does won’t be good enough for some people.

Unfortunately, maddyone, there is evidence of the government's incompetence and corruption as far as the pandemic goes. Shutting your eyes and ears to it won't make it go away.

Callistemon Thu 10-Jun-21 20:06:10

GillT57

Callistemon I agree with your comments about London housing as reported in News at Ten. It is truly disgusting and whoever is in charge, irrespective of their political party must be held responsible. So, no, your post is not whataboutery. I keep trying to explain that my disgust with this Tory administration is not because they are Tory, it is because the current cabinet are liars, cheats, corrupt and unfit for office.

I don't think they are all like this but they have been kicked on to the subs bench.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Jun-21 08:12:08

It seems that Johnson has more in common with Trump than blond hair.

Just like Trump, Johnson is neither trusted nor has built up a level of goodwill by other governments, and Lisa Nandy, who is in touch with foreign minister is say that they are saying that Britain has “left the field” in dealing with a number of challenges, just as Trump did.

Britain cannot talk about “global Britain” when it doesn’t have a friendly working relationship with its nearest neighbour and one of the worlds big trading blocks.

An EU economic analyst reckons that as things stand there is a 30% danger if a trade war between the EU and U.K.

Urmstongran Fri 11-Jun-21 09:07:42

Well GB News fires up this Sunday. I can’t wait. Balanced and honest news - nothing like Fox News with a British accent says Andrew Neil. Bring it on. I for one cannot wait! Government policy under scrutiny from news presenters with gravitas.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Jun-21 09:18:08

Oh identical post more or less to your other one?!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Jun-21 10:12:10

NY Times opinion, has there ever been a British PM who has attracted such derogatory criticism?

“As a UK citizen, how does it make you feel to see the New York Times describe Boris Johnson as “a terrible leader ...... freewheeling ...... clownish ...... slapdash ...... venal ...... incompetent”, and “a greased piglet” involved in “dodgy dealings, sleaze and chumocracy”?”

Dinahmo Sat 12-Jun-21 11:08:43

So recognition from elsewhere. We are not alone.

Namsnanny Sat 12-Jun-21 11:16:35

I'm happy, I'm fortunate and I shall use my position to make others a little more fortunate in any way I can.
So I cant see me posting here again.
Just saying.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Jun-21 11:41:35

There is a large degree of Trump in Johnson’s refusal to criticise the racists who are booing our national team.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 12-Jun-21 11:48:11

Whitewavemark2

There is a large degree of Trump in Johnson’s refusal to criticise the racists who are booing our national team.

As I understand it, many fans of many national teams competing in the Euros are booing the act of taking the knee they are not booing their national team. (Mind you if they start to lose and miss penalties they will)

There is already an anti-racism in football organisation kick it out

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Jun-21 11:53:14

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

As I understand it, many fans of many national teams competing in the Euros are booing the act of taking the knee they are not booing their national team. (Mind you if they start to lose and miss penalties they will)

There is already an anti-racism in football organisation ^kick it out^

I suspect that you will find those booing the symbol of the fight against racism are also those that shout racist slogans etc.

maddyone Sat 12-Jun-21 11:59:45

No Whitewave it’s not so easy, and the government have made a number of errors over the period of the pandemic, and if you’d read many of my posts on other threads, you would know that I have certainly not given unfailing support to the government. However the vaccine rollout has been exemplary and as a nation we have vaccinated far more people than the majority of other countries. Europe is running at about 20% of citizens fully vaccinated whereas Britain is 43%. Not enough yet, but we’re getting there. Credit where credit is due.
Hungary is the only other European country that approximately equals Britain with its vaccine roll out, and that’s because they withdrew from the EU vaccine roll out and decided to go it alone.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 12-Jun-21 12:02:17

Unfortunately you will have a permanent long term job whitewavemark2 keeping your ^beady eye* on the Government as unless Labour get their act together I can see the Conservatives winning the next election.

MaizieD Sat 12-Jun-21 13:52:22

However the vaccine rollout has been exemplary and as a nation we have vaccinated far more people than the majority of other countries.

Indeed it has; thanks to the lucky appointment of a very competent person to lead it who already had some experience in medical fields and who put effectiveness over bungs to big business.

That does not compensate for the government's failings; incompetence, lawbreaking, cronyism and lying, in every other aspect of their handling of the pandemic.

Thousands of people have died needlessly. Thanks to government incompetence, yet again, we now have the Delta variant cutting a swathe through children and young people. The speed of the vaccine roll out doesn't mean anything to the partially or unvaccinated; they're still very vulnerable to a highly tranmissable variant.

maddyone Sat 12-Jun-21 14:01:45

I’ll refer you back to the first part of my last post Maizie. Enough said.

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 15:42:13

Whitewavemark2

NY Times opinion, has there ever been a British PM who has attracted such derogatory criticism?

“As a UK citizen, how does it make you feel to see the New York Times describe Boris Johnson as “a terrible leader ...... freewheeling ...... clownish ...... slapdash ...... venal ...... incompetent”, and “a greased piglet” involved in “dodgy dealings, sleaze and chumocracy”?”

As a US based newspaper, how does it feel to be an integral part of the country which elected Trump?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Jun-21 15:47:25

Callistemon

Whitewavemark2

As a US based newspaper, how does it feel to be an integral part of the country which elected Trump?

And then got rid of him after just one term.

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 16:07:13

Just.
He was, however, more powerful and left behind chaos which could take more than one term to rectify.

They have obviously never heard of glass houses in NY.

MaizieD Sat 12-Jun-21 20:12:26

They have obviously never heard of glass houses in NY.

I don't think the NYT supported Trump.

Nor do I think that journalists are forbidden to make judgements about a leader just because they had a worse one of their own...

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Jun-21 18:56:29

Comparison between our farming practices and Australia’s.

I shall always insist on supporting our farmers

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Jun-21 19:13:44

Did anyone listen to Patel’s speech on the HoC. I’m sure the civil servants who wrote it chose as many words ending in “g” as she /he could find?