Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lilibet

(582 Posts)
MawBe Sun 06-Jun-21 17:18:46

Lilibet Diana Mountbatten- Windsor, born on Friday.
Good choice of names! tcrsmile ?

Casdon Sun 06-Jun-21 17:47:02

I hope they asked the Queen before using her pet name, which I’ve never heard used by anybody else. Other than that I quite like Lili as a name.

Juliet27 Sun 06-Jun-21 17:48:04

Didsbury

I think Lillibet is a little insensitive. It is the family name or pet name for the Queen who could not pronounce Elizabeth then she was a child, Only a few could call her by that name and that included Prince Philli[

So not a wise choice - Too personal

I agree

vegansrock Sun 06-Jun-21 17:51:21

How do you know the Queen isn’t pleased with the little ones name ?

Chewbacca Sun 06-Jun-21 17:51:58

When I was little I couldn't pronounce my Christian name at all and so my Dad gave me an easily pronouncable nick name. It stuck with me and during my teenage years was the source of much embarrassment. My Dad continued to refer to me by that name until his death and that's when I realised how much I'd grown to love it and now would never hear it again. My DC had one of the GC christened that nick name in my honour, and I love it. I hope HMQ feels the same way about Lilibet.

rafichagran Sun 06-Jun-21 17:53:51

I think Lili is pretty. The more I hear the name the more I like it. Archie and Lili go well.

Alegrias1 Sun 06-Jun-21 17:54:20

I well here we go again. Projecting what we think someone feels when we have no idea at all. Maybe the Queen is happy as can be that her grandson and his wife chose a lovely, family name for their daughter. No doubt with her blessing.

Good luck to them all, I think its lovely.

Lucca Sun 06-Jun-21 17:54:34

Chestnut

Grandma70s

It’s a lovely name, but somehow I thought only the Queen could be called Lilibet. It's her nickname, a childhood pronunciation of Elizabeth..

True, and I wonder what the Queen thinks about them pinching her pet name. I doubt they are in her good books at the moment.

I honestly expect they asked her first. In any case as I said on t’other thread....could we not just view it as harry saying in spite of issues/problems on both sides he still loves his grandmother ?
Just a thought. Spirit of goodwill etc etc

timetogo2016 Sun 06-Jun-21 18:00:41

Don`t go FannyCornforth,your opinion is as important as the next,regardless if it`s agreed with or not.
As for the babies name,i`m not surprised.
Is someone worried about loosing a title or two.

mrsgreenfingers56 Sun 06-Jun-21 18:00:46

Congratulations to them but I am surprised at the name of Lilibet. Let's face it Harry has caused a lot of hurt and upset to the Queen recently and been so disrespecful to HRH. So I have mixed feelings on the name but a new baby is always a joy. Is this his way of saying sorry to the Queen?

Peasblossom Sun 06-Jun-21 18:01:06

You know what, I think that in the closing years of the Queens life and reign, it’s rather nice to think that in years to come the name Lilibet will still be heard.

I have no doubt that there will be many Lilibets in the next few years.

Chestnut Sun 06-Jun-21 18:02:15

I'm not sure why everyone thinks they would have asked the Queen's permission to use her pet name. We have no idea if they asked her, or whether she is happy about it or not, given what has happened lately.

Ellan Sun 06-Jun-21 18:04:05

Lovely news ?
I think it is a beautiful name too
I would imagine that having a child named after you is a huge compliment

Calendargirl Sun 06-Jun-21 18:04:48

I predicted Lilibet on 31st May.

Just saying.

?

travelsafar Sun 06-Jun-21 18:06:56

I love the name.
My new great grand daughter is called Lily-Rose
I hope they will be very happy with their little family and everyone will leave them alone to enjoy their children. smile

Jabberwok Sun 06-Jun-21 18:08:01

Not quite sure what I think. My name is also Elizabeth, shortened to Lizzie, which as a very small girl I couldn't pronounce (something about the letter Z) so morphed it to Lilly. Not sure if I would have wanted it used for granddaughter, maybe,maybe not.

theworriedwell Sun 06-Jun-21 18:09:47

I've got a lovely plant, it's a type of lily and known to all as Lilibet.

Lucca Sun 06-Jun-21 18:12:26

Chestnut

I'm not sure why everyone thinks they would have asked the Queen's permission to use her pet name. We have no idea if they asked her, or whether she is happy about it or not, given what has happened lately.

No we don’t that’s true - but wouldn’t it be nice to think the best for a change ?!

grannyrebel7 Sun 06-Jun-21 18:14:14

It's the Queen's name - don't think they should have used it. It smacks of sucking up to the Queen after all they've done. Why didn't they just call her Diana? That would have been more appropriate.

Talullah Sun 06-Jun-21 18:14:30

At least they didn't call her Cabbage which was the Queen's more recent nickname.

Allegedly. I have no proof that this is true But it's been mentioned numerous times.

Deedaa Sun 06-Jun-21 18:15:02

I'm presuming they had the sense to run it by the Queen. They've known she was having a girl for months so they've had plenty of time to sort it out. The Queen may be delighted with the idea, I don't think she's got anyone left who would use the name for her now,

jusnoneed Sun 06-Jun-21 18:15:32

I have a young cousin named Lilibet, born and living in the USA. She is known as Lily.

BlueBelle Sun 06-Jun-21 18:15:36

I very much doubt that Harry has not told his grand mum what they were thinking of doing
I d love to have a baby named after me whether I knew or not
(it won’t happen I haven’t got that sort of pretty name)

Wonderful how some people can constantly turn a positive into a negative Gets up my nose

If it was William everyone would be saying how wonderful to honour his grand mum

Chewbacca Sun 06-Jun-21 18:20:01

I would imagine that having a child named after you is a huge compliment

It is a huge compliment Ellan and it's a lovely little bit of family history to pass down through a family. When DGC was told where his name originated from, he was delighted. Which grandparent wouldn't be pleased?

gillgran Sun 06-Jun-21 18:23:32

A new baby is always good news.

Good choice of family names.

Luckygirl Sun 06-Jun-21 18:24:22

Lovely names. They must be very happy with their new daughter.