Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oxford University students vote to remove the Queen

(206 Posts)
Chestnut Tue 08-Jun-21 18:29:38

Quote: Oxford students have voted to take down a portrait of the Queen from their common room because she 'represents recent colonial history' and would make some people feel unwelcome.
Members of the Middle Common Room at Magdalen College - which is made up of graduates - passed the measure by a substantial majority, with one student commenting that 'patriotism and colonialism are not really separable'.

Is this the woke future of our country, to delete our cultural heritage and re-write our history? Do these people even know how tirelessly The Queen has worked for the Commonwealth for the last 70 years?

Chestnut Sun 13-Jun-21 09:27:44

Just leave that last post there so everyone can see it for the nonsense it is.

As if anyone would take notice of anything on Twitter! ?

Lucca Sun 13-Jun-21 09:25:19

happycatholicwife1

Oh,goodie! They've filled their Virtue Signaling quota for the month. Now they can have jam with their cakeses.?

Clearly not read the thread. This is a non story.

Grany Sun 13-Jun-21 09:18:40

Revolting-Subject
@UnRoyalReporter
The absolute pivotal role the monarchy plays in right wing culture wars is astonishing to behold....

The monarchy is the foundation stone they build their greed, racism & idiotic militarism on.

twitter.com/UnRoyalReporter/status/1402387008190832643?s=20

Namsnanny Fri 11-Jun-21 13:16:09

Had = hold

Namsnanny Fri 11-Jun-21 13:15:15

growstuff

Namsnanny Contrary to your opinion, I have invested very little time on this thread, although I do recognise that you must have spent some time and thought writing your reply to me.

I'm afraid online communication doesn't always convey the whole picture. Many of my replies are full of irony, which you seem to have missed. It would be much easier if I could actually write what I actually think about some of the objections to the taking down of this picture, but I'm sure somebody would report my posts and they would be deleted.

FWIW MY opinion is that this is a non-story, maybe a deliberate distraction, but certainly not worth the column inches and outrage it's provoked. The concept of "wokeness" hasn't come from "woke" people themselves. It's a concerted attempt to undermine serious arguments, with which (incidentally) I don't always agree. My amazement is with the people who really do think that ten students (and I checked) voting to take a picture of the Queen off the wall in a private space is important or meaningful.

In the context of the blatant culture war which is being waged, it's maybe more sinister that a significant percentage of the population can behave as they have done.

Thank you for your full and robust reply.
I agree communication is compromised on formats such as these (if indeed.that was your point?).
I still had the same views as before though!smile

happycatholicwife1 Thu 10-Jun-21 22:53:14

Oh,goodie! They've filled their Virtue Signaling quota for the month. Now they can have jam with their cakeses.?

muffinthemoo Thu 10-Jun-21 20:06:13

It’s their common room, they can put what they like in it.

varian Thu 10-Jun-21 18:47:25

The quote facility would be better if a click could take us back to the original post.

It would also be useful if, when a poster says "I agree with you *Blahblah" we could have a way of clicking back to *Blahblah"'s last post.

Maggiemaybe Thu 10-Jun-21 16:28:04

I think you’re right, Calli. Though I’ll admit it doesn’t take much to confuse me. smile

Callistemon Thu 10-Jun-21 15:55:37

Maggiemaybe

I’m not sure who you’re annoyed with Today 08:17 Lin52, as you’ve quoted my post replying to Paperbackwriter who was replying to Grandma70s who was replying to you. If it’s me you have an issue with, please explain.

I think the quote facility is causing more trouble than it's worth!

(This is me, Callistemon, replying to Maggiemaybe's post.)

growstuff Thu 10-Jun-21 15:46:23

Namsnanny Contrary to your opinion, I have invested very little time on this thread, although I do recognise that you must have spent some time and thought writing your reply to me.

I'm afraid online communication doesn't always convey the whole picture. Many of my replies are full of irony, which you seem to have missed. It would be much easier if I could actually write what I actually think about some of the objections to the taking down of this picture, but I'm sure somebody would report my posts and they would be deleted.

FWIW MY opinion is that this is a non-story, maybe a deliberate distraction, but certainly not worth the column inches and outrage it's provoked. The concept of "wokeness" hasn't come from "woke" people themselves. It's a concerted attempt to undermine serious arguments, with which (incidentally) I don't always agree. My amazement is with the people who really do think that ten students (and I checked) voting to take a picture of the Queen off the wall in a private space is important or meaningful.

In the context of the blatant culture war which is being waged, it's maybe more sinister that a significant percentage of the population can behave as they have done.

Maggiemaybe Thu 10-Jun-21 11:45:03

I’m not sure who you’re annoyed with Today 08:17 Lin52, as you’ve quoted my post replying to Paperbackwriter who was replying to Grandma70s who was replying to you. If it’s me you have an issue with, please explain.

Alegrias1 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:41:00

Its a storm in a teacup Grammaretto. If there was a rule that said you have to have a picture of the Queen in every room in every college and they had voted to overturn centuries of tradition, that's one thing.

But they voted to take down one picture that had been there on the wall for 8(?) years and maybe replace it with another picture.

I know nothing about Oxford University or any of its colleges but given that its their common room, they can decorate it how they like. confused

Grammaretto Thu 10-Jun-21 11:36:28

I do get that Alegrias but as a general rule surely money from Slavery/Colonialism/Monarchy are symbols and clues as to the status quo? Don't they ask questions any more?

My DS was at Oxford in the 60s and very left wing but when her engagement to a baronet was in the Times I did point out the absurdity. they didn't marry

Alegrias1 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:22:07

I was also wondering why it was students who had chosen that college , and must have known what they were doing, who are determined to find fault with it.

Its was in their common room. They probably didn't think about a print of the Queen in a communal area when they were choosing the best college to be attached to in order to study or research their chosen subject at postgraduate level.

Doodledog Thu 10-Jun-21 11:19:17

Lucca

A smug pedant then ?!

Sorry but this thread has a misleading title to start with. One small section of one college. NOT “Oxford university”!

And not 'removing the Queen', but taking down a print of a portrait of the Queen.

Grammaretto Thu 10-Jun-21 11:17:15

Alegrias smile
very true. I was also wondering why it was students who had chosen that college , and must have known what they were doing, who are determined to find fault with it.

I agree that Oxbridge is very well endowed and however many study trips and freebies, excellent teaching and tutorials you receive you cannot escape from the label of privileged kid.

I went to a wedding at one of the colleges and had post grad accommodation. Wow it was grand!

One of my DC was at one of the new unis which had been a polytechnic, so no history and poor facilities and after a winter of having lectures in a station waiting room - as the only lecture theatre was already in use, and living in freezing overcrowded accommodation, he left along with half the staff.

And please don't despair Growstuff we talk about important things too.

Namsnanny Thu 10-Jun-21 11:01:12

growstuff
woke generation if it exists, and isnt a concoction of the culture warmongers

^To be honest it could be claimed ( with some justification )that the boomer generation is all self self self^

So much to be said about just this little part of your reply!
1) you negate woke but use boomer as a label.
2) you reject justification for forming a collective view of one group whilst subjecting the other to a generalisation.
3) in another post you cherry picked a Chinese Emperor and the Royal Tsars to enhance your argument.
Try substituting those with Stalin and Mao Zedong, and your argument isnt as strong.
4) The amount of time you have invested in this thread is a clear indicator why news editors decided to prioritise this story.

My feeling, having read most of the posts is your right when you say we are all being wound up by a non news item.
But judging by the relpies more people are agitated by those who are complaining the photo was taken down.
Which seems weird, as they keep on saying it's a non story!

Sorry convoluted post!smile

Alegrias1 Thu 10-Jun-21 09:01:34

Quote from Dinah Rose, Deputy Judge of the High Court and President of Magdalen College:

Being a student is about more than studying. It's about exploring and debating ideas. It's sometimes about provoking the older generation.
Looks like that isn’t so hard to do these days.

Lucca Thu 10-Jun-21 08:54:51

A smug pedant then ?!

Sorry but this thread has a misleading title to start with. One small section of one college. NOT “Oxford university”!

growstuff Thu 10-Jun-21 08:53:11

Lin52

Candelle

Growstuff we must live in parallel universes!

As a child, there was a portrait of the Queen in every public establishment I visited, from schools and hospitals to banks and post offices. There she was resplendent in her robes and 'everything was well with the world'. At least, that's how I felt.

I perhaps should have clarified that Oxford colleges are not wholly Government funded but they do accept state money so the portrait of the Queen was fully justified.

If the current tranche of MCR members vote to remove the portrait, so be it but in my opinion it shows them to be shallow, with no understanding of the monarchy, Commonwealth and without recourse to history books.

Very well said. The motion came from a wealthy American, working for Google.

OMG! How terrible! Off to the Tower with him! And off with his head! At least he's not Russian or Chinese!

PS. He doesn't work for Google.

Alegrias1 Thu 10-Jun-21 08:44:59

A smug ?

I can keep going all day ?

The president of the MCR is obliged to bring forward all motions raised in the sub committees. There is no indication that the motion was instigated by him.

Lin52 Thu 10-Jun-21 08:26:29

Alegrias1

Ancestor? Have they come back from the dead?

Oh what a smug you are.A pedant too.

Lin52 Thu 10-Jun-21 08:24:05

Candelle

Growstuff we must live in parallel universes!

As a child, there was a portrait of the Queen in every public establishment I visited, from schools and hospitals to banks and post offices. There she was resplendent in her robes and 'everything was well with the world'. At least, that's how I felt.

I perhaps should have clarified that Oxford colleges are not wholly Government funded but they do accept state money so the portrait of the Queen was fully justified.

If the current tranche of MCR members vote to remove the portrait, so be it but in my opinion it shows them to be shallow, with no understanding of the monarchy, Commonwealth and without recourse to history books.

Very well said. The motion came from a wealthy American, working for Google.

Lin52 Thu 10-Jun-21 08:17:43

Maggiemaybe

Paperbackwriter

Grandma70s

Good heavens, Lin52. How do you know they are white, or over-privileged for that matter? There are many nationalities at Oxford, some struggling on a shoestring budget.

Well said, Grandma70s. There are still too many outdated and biased opinions about Oxbridge education.

Hmm, maybe. But I should think Oxbridge students benefit more than others from generous donations made by previous students.

My DD2 had an offer to study art at Oxford, at Magdalen as it happens. She chose to go to Glasgow School of Art instead and even though she informed them straightaway, she had a letter in the August with details of accommodation, the course, etc (they obviously aren't used to being turned down!). Including a long list of equipment she needed to buy, with a reminder to keep all receipts so the costs could be reimbursed. We'd already had information about the free study courses abroad that she could choose from in the Summer holidays. I doubt that happens at any other art school.

Well if you have read the news, my comment was correct, a privileged white son of an American millionaire, whose ancestors were possibly the colonialists of which he is so disgusted by.
Please don’t be so patronising about my understanding of Oxford. You don’t know me at all.