Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should Nicola Sturgeon have discouraged Scottish Football fans without tickets from travelling to London?

(171 Posts)
TerriBull Sat 19-Jun-21 07:49:28

26 arrests last night, flares being let off and general chaos in the West End. Only it didn't seem so long ago that she was asking people from England not to travel to Scotland.

Callistemon Tue 22-Jun-21 22:09:48

They just got knocked out .....

Jaxjacky Tue 22-Jun-21 21:28:50

Sshhh Rosie I wasn’t going to mention that….

Alegrias1 Tue 22-Jun-21 21:28:00

I heard it on the radio Friday lunchtime, on my way to the hairdresser. ?

Rosie51 Tue 22-Jun-21 21:26:19

I wasn't sure when the travel ban was announced, couldn't be bothered to check grin

Alegrias1 Tue 22-Jun-21 21:24:07

Rosie51

.......... whispers "Alegrias the match was on Friday evening at 8 pm." wink

Oh aye, so it was. ?

Still after the Manchester travel ban was announced though. ?

Alegrias1 Tue 22-Jun-21 21:22:36

You can't stand them?

I'm amazed. Would never have guessed. ?

Were losing the football, anyway. I imagine you'll be pleased.

Rosie51 Tue 22-Jun-21 21:18:37

.......... whispers "Alegrias the match was on Friday evening at 8 pm." wink

Okdokey08 Tue 22-Jun-21 21:13:47

On the contrary Alegrias1, .... there’s no thinking about it..can’t stand the lot of them...and as you point out... their “nearly 50% share of the vote.... so still less than half the country .. and totally expected you to react.....thanks for making my night. I will leave you to enjoy your vote.

Alegrias1 Tue 22-Jun-21 21:11:33

Oops. Fanzone, 6,000 people.

Keep trying ?

Alegrias1 Tue 22-Jun-21 21:09:14

Rant all finished?

Celtic went to Dubai after arranging it when it was all legal.

The Manchester travel ban was announced on Friday, the England match was on Saturday. So the timeline was the exact opposite of what you said.

I doubt their nearly 50% vote share was that heavily influenced by the under 18 vote.

You need to be careful when criticising politicians for doing things they never actually did; people might think you're a wee bit prejudiced.

Okdokey08 Tue 22-Jun-21 21:05:50

I forgot to add, they’ve allowed a “fan zone” 3000 people at a time in a park in Glasgow ( alcohol served) .... and 12000 at Hampden, votes votes votes votes, and you can bet as soon as footie is over.... “the data will come in” and wee NS will declare “game over” ... unless of course Scotland win.... then the data will become “Scotch mist”.

Okdokey08 Tue 22-Jun-21 20:58:14

NS paid only lip service to fans travelling to football. She has already experienced the two main football clubs reactions ( having told them to “ stay away and behave” the entire Celtic football club (64 employees) from cleaners, footballers, admin etc to managers all ignored her and went to Dubai... it almost killed her to criticise them, but she was forced to because of the media. Rangers win the Scottish Premiership and gathered to celebrate, and she and her side kick Swinney, couldn’t contain their condemnation. So she had not ONE but TWO recent football situations in her own country, and she was ignored by both of the Glasgow teams. Yes she said “don’t go” but she knew they would, and she kept as quiet as she could about it..... for votes!!!! there’s nothing the incompetent government she belongs to SNP won’t do for A VOTE!!! So she held off long enough for all of those “idiots” to get back across the border, and did her usual “grandstanding” by DECLARING a travel ban to Manchester. She would have known she should have acted sooner, but would held off... citing “we’re following the data” .... ffs! even if this lot had a crystal ball they wouldn’t be transparent or get it right. Votes is her first and only priority, which is why they lowered the voting age to 16.... they would never have got in in the first place without all the school kid votes. I revert back to the OP and the answer remains, she paid lip service, she might be in charge, but she will never be in control.... she doesn’t have the skills, nor does any of her cabinet.

Okdokey08 Tue 22-Jun-21 20:33:46

Well said, hear hear ??

GrannyGravy13 Tue 22-Jun-21 18:23:42

It’s just been released that there will be 60,000 fans/VIPs for both semi-finals and the final at Wembley Stadium (full capacity is 90,000).

It’s OK whilst seated, but having been to there numerous times it is the entrances and exits where it will be impossible to socialy distance

win Tue 22-Jun-21 17:26:13

Football should never have been allowed to go ahead

coastalgran Tue 22-Jun-21 15:49:23

I feel a Battle of Bannockburn moment coming on here. You can blame loads of things for the variants, today the G7 summit is being blamed for the spike in numbers in Cornwall according to The Times, so the Euros will be to blame if there are spikes in participating countries and the fans will get it in the neck. Less blame culture and just accept and deal with things. Nicola Sturgeon, just like Boris can only ask and implore individuals and groups to follow the rules, there is far too much money at stake for the European economy and the media companies associated with football to upset them. It is also a test so that data can be collected, analysed and reports given on how large scale events cope with the virus, if successful then all of us who wish to go to concerts, festivals, sporting events will be able to do so.

Alegrias1 Tue 22-Jun-21 15:42:08

9th August Sue ! smile

SueDonim Tue 22-Jun-21 15:06:46

You know, I’m happy to carry on wearing a mask, using sanitiser, keeping my distance from people etc but I want to be responsible for my own life again and not have to kowtow to anyone else. I’m not five years old, though I admit, I do feel like having a tantrum.

Alegrias1 Tue 22-Jun-21 14:57:07

I don't disagree Sue.

SueDonim Tue 22-Jun-21 14:55:21

The rules may have worked when we had high rates initially but we are going to have to learn to live with this and we cannot stay locked up every time someone sneezes.

In England and Wales deaths from Covid are now one tenth of the numbers dying from flu & pneumonia but I don’t see any warnings about not going to England because of those illnesses.

The most vulnerable are now protected so let’s live our lives again.

Alegrias1 Tue 22-Jun-21 14:42:41

SueDonim

Given that the police in Scotland have said that they won’t be making checks on people’s activity and the police in Manchester say they can’t enforce Scottish rules in England, it is daft. Clearly the rules don’t work anyway otherwise Scotland wouldn’t have one of the highest rates in Europe.

Why not just give us the facts and let us make up our own minds? I’m fed up of being told what to do.

Why did we bother with rules at all then Sue? Why did we ask people not to travel all between certain areas through the whole of the last 15 months? It couldn't be enforced then either but now, suddenly, its a big deal.

The rules worked fine before, and kept our case rates down. We have a terrible rate just now. There is some thought that it could be because we have a lower rate of immunity in the population due to the positive effect of the rules up until now. 16 of the top rated areas out of 17 are in England. Let's not get carried away.

I've said that I don't understand why these areas have been chosen. I don't think they should have made that decision.

Callistemon Tue 22-Jun-21 14:39:18

Ridiculous comment about Balmoral. Is poster implying the Scots would steal it ??
I did say that as a joke on one thread.

Please don't take it seriously, anyone.

toria100 Tue 22-Jun-21 14:33:52

As a Scottish resident, I am most concerned about the Scottish fans possibly returning with COVID from their trip to football in England. Large areas of Scotland are in COVID level 0 or 1. England appears to have rapidly rising levels of the Delta variant notably in populated areas.
In my opinion, Nicola Sturgeon did the right thing by ignoring the bad behaviour rather than giving attention to it.
How could anyone enforce/police a ban? There is no border between England and Scotland yet.

lemongrove Tue 22-Jun-21 14:32:30

I agree Sue it’s impossible to ban train travel from different parts of the UK, in any case what about those visiting for other purposes ( not football.)

SueDonim Tue 22-Jun-21 14:29:04

Given that the police in Scotland have said that they won’t be making checks on people’s activity and the police in Manchester say they can’t enforce Scottish rules in England, it is daft. Clearly the rules don’t work anyway otherwise Scotland wouldn’t have one of the highest rates in Europe.

Why not just give us the facts and let us make up our own minds? I’m fed up of being told what to do.