Gransnet forums

News & politics

Electoral Reform in the Labour Party

(6 Posts)
varian Thu 24-Jun-21 18:21:03

I hope that the Labour Party win the by-election in Batley and Spen. However the polls are not looking promising. If they lose I hope that Kier Starmer will realise that his party are never going to win another general election under FPTP and the best way forward must be a Progressive Alliance for the next GE, with a commitment to electoral reform so that all future elections will be fair and democratic.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/23/reform-electoral-system-or-keep-losing-to-tories-keir-starmer-warned

varian Wed 23-Jun-21 13:40:31

A survey of Labour Party members taken just after the last general election found that three-quarters of Labour members want the party to support electoral reform and adopt proportional representation (PR) as a policy. A survey by YouGov found that 76 per cent supported the change, with just 12 per cent opposed and a further 12 per cent who said they did not know

varian Mon 21-Jun-21 19:41:52

If there ars any Gnetters who are LP members it would be good if they joined this meeting and reported back to us

varian Mon 21-Jun-21 18:16:31

Yes, Jackie Weaver is good value. She was interviewed on our local news round up a while after becoming famous and she certainly held her own.

Let's just remember that only a minority of voters support the Tories and if we lived in a democracy they would be the opposition, not the government.

WishIwasyounger Mon 21-Jun-21 17:02:31

I certainly hope so, but doubt it as I don't think the Tories will ever agree to it. Interesting that it's Labout women who are discussing it, including Jackie Weaver ofYouTube fame!

varian Mon 21-Jun-21 16:03:11

Could the next general election be the last under First Past The Post?

Thursday, 24 June 2021
7:00 pm 8:30 pm

www.labourforanewdemocracy.org.uk/event-listings/womens-conference-fringe