Gransnet forums

News & politics

Michael Gove divorce

(178 Posts)
MayBee70 Fri 02-Jul-21 18:12:31

So Michael Gove is getting divorced now. Surely he hasn’t been having an affair?

Kali2 Mon 05-Jul-21 15:22:24

GrannyGravy13

lemongrove

The absolute hate shown by some towards politicians is one thing, but it also is now directed at their wives and anyone who supports that particular Party.It’s worrying......

I agree Lemongrove I was not going to post on this thread again, but I am horrified yet again by the attitude of some GN members.

Listen to Sarah Vine and the comments made by the very Conservative Michael Portillo. The behaviour and comments made in the Press over so many years by people like Sarah Vine has been decried by decent Conservatives, like most in my family- for a very long time. So this is not about 'the attitude of some GN members- it is also about the disgust and dismay shown by so many on her own side. Vile she is - and she now has a true cheek to ask for privacy.

Do watch and listen, please

twitter.com/lbob15/status/1411221557419118597?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1411221557419118597%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fdorseteye.com%2Fsarah-vine-wants-privacy%2F

MayBee70 Sun 04-Jul-21 23:22:31

foxie48

varian

The court judgement is actually far more significant that his divorce.

goodlawproject.org/update/gove-broke-the-law/

With this, I am in total agreement just a pity it could get lost within a thread about his divorce.

I did mention it in another thread when it was first announced but it seemed to go unnoticed. I think others have mentioned it, too.

foxie48 Sun 04-Jul-21 20:19:47

varian

With this, I am in total agreement just a pity it could get lost within a thread about his divorce.

FarNorth Sun 04-Jul-21 20:11:05

varian are there to be any consequences for Gove and Hancock and others in Government?
Or do they just prance happily on?

varian Sun 04-Jul-21 19:15:10

GillT57 Sun 04-Jul-21 18:06:26

I imagine that Gove is delighted about last night's football result as it knocked him,his divorce,but more importantly last week's court judgement against him, off the front pages. Perfect timing eh?

timetogo2016 Sun 04-Jul-21 17:36:56

Another one bites the dust then.
Whats new eh ?.
Gove looks like a cartoon caricature imo.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Jul-21 07:45:33

vegansrock

I haven’t said anything nasty about Sarah Vine, apart from criticising her unpleasant writing style. What I really dislike about Gove is how he destroyed much of the arts and drama education in school and made the learning of English positively Victorian , taking the creativity out of it. Less well publicised is all the money thrown at the so called “free” schools, whilst taking money away from L.A.maintained schools and privatising many aspects of education. Plus the fact that he gave the job of director of the free schools movement to a 24 year daughter of a friend of his with a 6 figure salary.

Here here to.

Lucca Sat 03-Jul-21 21:53:16

vegansrock

I haven’t said anything nasty about Sarah Vine, apart from criticising her unpleasant writing style. What I really dislike about Gove is how he destroyed much of the arts and drama education in school and made the learning of English positively Victorian , taking the creativity out of it. Less well publicised is all the money thrown at the so called “free” schools, whilst taking money away from L.A.maintained schools and privatising many aspects of education. Plus the fact that he gave the job of director of the free schools movement to a 24 year daughter of a friend of his with a 6 figure salary.

Hear hear

Callistemon Sat 03-Jul-21 21:48:46

I never knew that about Dennis the Menace!

muffinthemoo Sat 03-Jul-21 20:44:00

Tbh I don’t think it was wise to appoint someone who ‘s done more lines than Dennis the Menace to the post of Lord Chancellor. It did suggest a certain…. divide in the administration of justice in the UK.

vegansrock Sat 03-Jul-21 20:39:02

NanKate Sat 03-Jul-21 20:23:06

As an aside……..

I know many people turn their noses up at the Daily Mail but there are many good sections and journalists.

Dr Pemberton writes weekly on mental health issues and is spot on. Dr Scour covers many illnesses that affect older folk. DH follows the Money section. The Garfield cartoon makes me laugh. I enjoy reading Sarah Vine and the person who used to host Woman’s Hour, although I don’t always agree with them. I agree some of the articles are biased rubbish and I am not interested in ‘busty’ big lipped personalities. The Letters page is interesting with a variety of views.

So no apologies from me for being a regular reader.

Now back to Gov who rather reminds me if Mr Humphries in ‘Are you being served’.

Alegrias1 Sat 03-Jul-21 19:32:03

varian

I doubt whether the Groves' teenage children are avid followers of Gransnet but if they did see comments here I'm sure they would think them very mild compared with articles like this-

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7129687/SARAH-VINE-opens-heart-Michael-Goves-cocaine-past.html

I just read this varian, thank you, and can honestly say I've never read a more disingenuous attempt at damage limitation in my life.

As for how much he owes to his mum and dad - is that why he lied about his dad's business during the Brexit campaign to further his own dubious agenda?

What a pair.

Callistemon Sat 03-Jul-21 19:19:20

Hi Michael
Can I come on a train journey with you please?

ps ~Do I have to wear red trousers, a turquoise jacket and yellow shirt

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Jul-21 19:15:08

JaneJudge

Hello it's Michael Portillo here <waves>
Love the trains mate x

Hi back, my guilty secret is watching you ?

JaneJudge Sat 03-Jul-21 19:10:12

Hello it's Michael Portillo here <waves>
Love the trains mate x

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Jul-21 19:06:47

I wasn’t aware that Mr.Portillo was posting under a nom de plume on this thread?

Alegrias1 Sat 03-Jul-21 19:04:19

Ilovecheese

But Michael Portillo is a Conservative.

...who described Vine's article on the Milibands as "vile" and "bitchy".

Ilovecheese Sat 03-Jul-21 18:53:19

But Michael Portillo is a Conservative.

MerylStreep Sat 03-Jul-21 18:45:45

Lemsip
I think you could be right ?
I heard a new word for them today: The Misarablelites. Very apt.

varian Sat 03-Jul-21 18:39:23

I doubt whether the Groves' teenage children are avid followers of Gransnet but if they did see comments here I'm sure they would think them very mild compared with articles like this-

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7129687/SARAH-VINE-opens-heart-Michael-Goves-cocaine-past.html

lemsip Sat 03-Jul-21 18:37:01

so many spiteful people all over the threads of gransnet, is it because people are not getting out enough?

Casdon Sat 03-Jul-21 18:36:24

Being sanctimonious is no more creditable than gossiping in my opinion.

None of us know them, so any comments are speculative. I did check how old their children are as I think that will affect their resilience to divorce, and they are both very late teens by the look of it, so are likely to be fully aware of what’s been going on and able to make their own judgement.

I found this interesting article, which I think demonstrates that their daughter is her own woman.

www.tatler.com/article/who-is-michael-gove-daughter-beatrice-gove

lemsip Sat 03-Jul-21 18:35:16

any journalist who writes for a newspaper does so within the remit for the job she is employed to do