Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson's lies (again) Why do people still believe him?

(177 Posts)
Dinahmo Wed 07-Jul-21 15:28:27

I referred on the PMQT discussion to an interview on GMB this morning with a lawyer, Peter Stephanovic who has produced a video debunking several of Johnson's "facts".

I've started a new thread because the one about PMQT is quite specific.

Stephanovic was interviewed on GMB this morning by Susannah Reid and Alistair Campbell and the PM was defended by his biographer Andrew Gimson.

Here's a link to the GMB interview www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScFh94J7SV4

Watching Alistair Campbell I was reminded of the accusations against him and Blair about the lies told to the country over the Iraq war. Thousands of people, with reason, dislike Blair, some of them intensely, because of the lies.

Johnson has lied through his teeth on many occasions but still people believe him. Why is this?

Dinahmo Thu 08-Jul-21 10:39:09

Apparently on PMQs yesterday he answered each question with an irrelevant answer. My OH was quoting from an article he was reading on line so that's all I know. However, in previous weeks when I have watched PMQ's his answer to any question, no matter how unrelated, is "Vaccines"

MaizieD Thu 08-Jul-21 10:39:35

Skydancer

trisher is right. That's what people like about him. He's a big personality. Same as a lot of other heads of state. Unfortunately people fall for that kind of stuff. It's celebrity culture.

I suppose this relates back to the 'all politicians tell lies' statement.

A 'big personality' is no substitute for integrity. It's not as though people weren't warned. Just about everyone he's worked with for decades knows what a self centred, lazy, lying sh*t he is and said so loud and clear.

But it appears that, unless you are Tony Blair, telling nonstop lies is acceptable in a politician.

MaizieD Thu 08-Jul-21 10:45:44

Dinahmo

Apparently on PMQs yesterday he answered each question with an irrelevant answer. My OH was quoting from an article he was reading on line so that's all I know. However, in previous weeks when I have watched PMQ's his answer to any question, no matter how unrelated, is "Vaccines"

Absolutely true, Dinahmo. I watched it yesterday, first time for a while. He's been doing it for weeks. Every single answer is "unrelated waffle, waffle, Vaccines"

MayBee70 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:48:28

Dinahmo

I think he answered many questions with another question and even the speaker (shock horror a rare moment indeed) told him it was supposed to be PM question time not the other way round. PMQT has become a kind of gruesome ritual in our house these days. However, it is offset by the fact that we no longer subject ourselves to the horrors of Question Time on Thursday nights.

Kali2 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:48:48

Saw this today which reminded me of Johnson

''tolerance will reach such a level that intelligent people will be forbidden to express any critical opinin so as not to upset the imbeciles'

Dostoïevski

I believe that most who still support Johnson know that he is a liar, an inveterate and compulsive liar. And either his lies suit their narrative, or they just cannot admit that they we wrong about him. A bit of both perhaps.

As said, I do believe that it won't be long until he is seen for what he is - and tht this so called Emperor has NO clothes, and they will turn against him, and fast.

Doodledog Thu 08-Jul-21 10:48:55

The way some people seem to view Johnson reminds me of Stephanie Cole in Alan Bennett's Talking Heads, where she plays a woman whose life is shrinking because she is trying hard to keep her sick daughter's care going. A lot of the problems are caused by her charming son, who is consistently fleecing both his mother and his sister, whose care gets progressively curtailed. The mother is unable to see that her son is to blame, and keeps referring to him as a 'scamp', and pointing out that he's always been a bit of a lad, but he's misunderstood.

By the end, her comfortable life is reduced to impoverished gentility - she goes from a large house to a bedsit - yet she defends her son to the last and refuses to see him for who he is.

It's called 'Soldiering On'

poshpaws Thu 08-Jul-21 10:51:32

I loved the previous post's "couldn't lie straight in bed"!

I am completely at a loss as to how any rational human being could possibly like/respect/believe BJ (or indeed any Tory!) in any way, but when you consider all the Trump supporters in the USA and the Covid deniers/anti-vaccers and anti-maskers over here plus the idiots who wear masks that don't cover their nose, maybe it becomes clearer that you just can't cure stupid.

I love this meme.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:53:35

Can I respectfully point out that it is possible to be a Conservative (at heart) and not be supportive of Mr.Johnson (or a so called on GN ^boris babe^)

MayBee70 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:57:52

But do you not agree that the Conservative Party that many people support no longer bears any resemblance to that party due to Johnson’s leadership (along with Patel). And shouldn’t such supporters be more vocal in their condemnation of how the party is behaving?

Greta Thu 08-Jul-21 11:00:35

I think we have all met people like that. They pretend they are interested in you but it's just a game. I never thought somebody who is a compulsive liar and can't string a sentence together would become our Prime Minister. He fills me with despair.

But now we are ”Boris bashing” again and that is verboten.

Greta Thu 08-Jul-21 11:00:36

I think we have all met people like that. They pretend they are interested in you but it's just a game. I never thought somebody who is a compulsive liar and can't string a sentence together would become our Prime Minister. He fills me with despair.

Casdon Thu 08-Jul-21 11:02:46

Interestingly Johnson has been beaten in the latest Yougov popularity poll by 9% by Rishi Sunak. His star is on the wane now even by the party faithful I’d say.

Polarbear2 Thu 08-Jul-21 11:06:31

Tizliz

Perhaps we just don’t like to admit we were wrong ?

? read James O’Briens book. How to be wrong. Very good read.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 11:12:46

MayBee70

Dinahmo

I think he answered many questions with another question and even the speaker (shock horror a rare moment indeed) told him it was supposed to be PM question time not the other way round. PMQT has become a kind of gruesome ritual in our house these days. However, it is offset by the fact that we no longer subject ourselves to the horrors of Question Time on Thursday nights.

Some people probably think he's being "clever" or "funny". I can think of any number of teenagers I've taught who behave like that. I like to think that most of them grow up, but it seems not in this case.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 11:14:03

Greta

Exactly! I once worked in a school where pupils were trained to be like that. It was claimed it gave them a competitive social edge.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 11:15:15

GrannyGravy13

Can I respectfully point out that it is possible to be a Conservative (at heart) and not be supportive of Mr.Johnson (or a so called on GN ^boris babe^)

I believe you, so why don't you all tell them to take a running jump and start behaving like the Conservative Party you once supported?

Namsnanny Thu 08-Jul-21 11:23:40

Boz

Johnson's strength, despite an unsuitability for the job, is that he is not Corbyn and he took a decisive stand on Brexit, as far as the voters were concerned. Any opposition to J will have to come from opposition parties. Voters need to be convinced that there is something better. The Conservative party will run with him as long as he pulls in votes. I know this is a simplified view but as most people don't give a toss, believable.

Good post!

Kali2 Thu 08-Jul-21 11:25:19

GrannyGravy13

In which case, it is about time those in the Cons party made it clear to him that they do not support him, his actions and his views.

As for The Speaker, he is allowing Johnson and other members of the Cabinet in making a massive mockery of PMQT and the House, and is destroying our Democracy. If Tories believe that this is wrong, they should voice it via their MPs, the Press and their local Constituencies - but they won't.

MaizieD Thu 08-Jul-21 11:36:18

Namsnanny

Boz

Johnson's strength, despite an unsuitability for the job, is that he is not Corbyn and he took a decisive stand on Brexit, as far as the voters were concerned. Any opposition to J will have to come from opposition parties. Voters need to be convinced that there is something better. The Conservative party will run with him as long as he pulls in votes. I know this is a simplified view but as most people don't give a toss, believable.

Good post!

Well, that might have been true a year ago but since then he has made an absolute pig's ear of Brexit, and of handling the Covid pandemic and is making the UK a global laughing stock. Not to mention subverting our Parliamentary Democracy and allowing rampant corruption and law breaking in his Ministers.

And, depressingly, despite his big parliamentary majority, the majority of voters in the 2019 GE did not support him.

trisher Thu 08-Jul-21 11:58:25

Boris knows his main support and his best chance of holding on to power lies not in the shires but in places like the Red Wall where people don't watch PMQT. They will however see him if he manages to get something on to the News or social media which is best done by not sticking to the rules. If he's shown as disrespecing the process no matter, he's Jack-the Lad to them already. They think he's clever to Get Brexit Done, a bit of a bad boy and not controlled by Westminster. All vote winners for them.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 12:09:14

I agree with you trisher. Being a "bad boy" and "not controlled by Westminster" or the civil service makes him a hero in some people's eye.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 12:10:25

Watch out for some more short term "bungs" to industries in the "red wall" seats.

Katie59 Thu 08-Jul-21 12:19:04

MaizieD

I think that people who say that 'all politicians lie' are, in effect, saying that the people who vote for them are stupid. Why else would they vote for someone who they cannot rely on to carry out their stated intentions?

Because the alternative is worse.
We are voting for the least worse candidate usually, last election it was at least positive “get Brexit done”, since then it’s all been downhill.
To justify their actions all politicians say what ever they need to say wether it’s true or not.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 12:25:39

Katie59

MaizieD

I think that people who say that 'all politicians lie' are, in effect, saying that the people who vote for them are stupid. Why else would they vote for someone who they cannot rely on to carry out their stated intentions?

Because the alternative is worse.
We are voting for the least worse candidate usually, last election it was at least positive “get Brexit done”, since then it’s all been downhill.
To justify their actions all politicians say what ever they need to say wether it’s true or not.

I have met all the candidates in the last election in my constituency. I can honestly say that both the LibDem and Labour candidates were worthier. They would have worked harder and been more honest. I went to the pre-election hustings and they wiped the floor with Conservative candidate, who went on to win with a huge Conservative majority. I don't think people even knew what they were really voting for. They're tribal and don't know what any political party's policies actually are. I went out canvassing with one of the candidates and some of the absolute tripe I heard on doorsteps was breathtaking in its utter ignorance. They really were like some of the "vox pop" interviewees so beloved of TV presenters.

Alishka Thu 08-Jul-21 12:26:39

@ Doodledog just want to thank you for the Talking Heads link - very apposite.grin