Gransnet forums

News & politics

So how do we feel about Sajid Javid telling us not to ‘cower’ from Covid

(218 Posts)
Nezumi65 Sun 25-Jul-21 09:28:59

twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1418932718847541248?s=21

Must be a huge kick in the guts to anyone who has lost someone to covid.

I was pretty purple with rage tbh. Eldest son has not been able to be vaccinated but has severe learning disabilities so is at much higher risk from Covid. He has never cowered from anything in his life - but some caution might be sensible.

Not sure what will happen if their gamble on not creating a vaccine resistant strain while massively introducing transmission doesn’t come off.

Nezumi65 Tue 03-Aug-21 18:12:19

The percentages are only of the adult population Eloethan. Under 18s not included.

Eloethan Tue 03-Aug-21 17:12:21

It was a very unwise word to use, given that the government has been urging people to be ultra cautious in almost every situation other than in the home - and even then with contact strictly confined to the usual occupants.

People are afraid because they have been given reason to be afraid and they have been told that they are foolhardy and selfish to question or not abide by any of the rules. Having conditioned many people to be very afraid, it's rather short sighted to believe that they will suddenly throw away all their fears and worries and carry on as before.

I find it a bit odd that we were told vaccines were the answer to all our problems and would cancel out the need for preventative measures to a very large extent. As I understand it, 86% of the population has had at least one vaccination. Now we are told that, because of variants, boosters are likely to be necessary on a regular basis. This concerns me, particularly when it appears that many people will, in effect, be forced to have these vaccines. And we now learn that having the vaccine is no guarantee of being Covid-free, although it is argued that outcomes are far more positive than had previously been the case. Surely, though, over a year's experience of dealing with Covid must have yielded more knowledge as to how to treat the illness more effectively? And how do we know whether those doubled-jabbed people who have later contracted the virus but been only mildly affected would have been only mildly affected anyway? It is a very contagious virus and, relative to the number of people who have contracted it, the percentage who are badly affected is quite small.

There have been so many mixed messages that I can quite understand why people are anxious, angry, suspicious, etc. etc. and that is perhaps why the use of this, admittedly insensitive, word has caused such a furore - though I can think of many other things that have been done and said that are far worse than this.

MaizieD Tue 03-Aug-21 16:12:31

I saw some interesting stuff on twitter recently about making 'filter boxes' with a fan and HEPA filters which can 'clean' the air of virus particles and so would help to mitigate the effects of poor ventilation.

It was hard to find a good article about these, but here's a page of search results with lots of information on use and construction. They do seem to be a US 'thing', though. I don't know if they could be made in the UK

duckduckgo.com/?q=Corsi+filter+boxes&t=chromentp&ia=web

MayBee70 Tue 03-Aug-21 10:08:04

Florence Nightingale understood the need for good ventilation so you’d think we’d’ve learned something over the past century or so. Modern building are like Petri dishes for viruses. The office where my son works has had lots of work done on it’s ventilation over the past few months. I’ll ask him what has been done. We’ve still got a lot to learn about this virus.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 03-Aug-21 09:51:06

At least better cleaning of public places will help restrict the spread of intestinal infections such as norovirus, but I agree MaizieD about the lack of attention to ventilation.
Cynically I think sanitising makes it appear as if safety measures are being taken seriously, but installing improved ventilation is much more costly.
There are no requirements, or indeed incentives, for schools, offices, shops and other public buildings to install or improve ventilation systems. I am surprised that some think the presence of Perspex screens in premises such as shops and hairdressers means they are virus safe.

MaizieD Tue 03-Aug-21 09:30:00

maddyone

You’re right Maizie, this virus is airborne and therefore breathed in and out, so good ventilation and masks are the key to preventing infection. Nonetheless this report is very important because it puts to bed the idea that we can become infected simply by touching a surface. Because this wasn’t known at the beginning we were encouraged to wash our hands more (a good idea anyway) but also to disinfect surfaces. The result of this was that some people became overly cautious thinking that simply touching a surface could lead to their death. This report is reassuring because it’s shown that it’s more or less, if not completely impossible to become ill because we’ve touched a surface. I hope the emphasis on cleaning surfaces ie on planes, becomes part of our lives though, because there’s no doubt, high touch surfaces are more hygienic for us all. But perhaps overly anxious people will realise that they do not need to clean their shopping or quarantine their post any longer as it’s impossible to contract Covid from these surfaces.

We're singing from the same hymn sheet, maddyone grin

Certainly all this emphasis on handwashing/sanitising is good for the general health of the population, but I do worry that the importance of ventilation has been so understated and still seems to be a bit of an afterthought in government advice.

We have had the opportunity to learn such a lot about about covid over the past 18 months, but I'm not sure that some people have got past the misleading'Hands, Face, Space' message.

maddyone Tue 03-Aug-21 08:30:17

You’re right Maizie, this virus is airborne and therefore breathed in and out, so good ventilation and masks are the key to preventing infection. Nonetheless this report is very important because it puts to bed the idea that we can become infected simply by touching a surface. Because this wasn’t known at the beginning we were encouraged to wash our hands more (a good idea anyway) but also to disinfect surfaces. The result of this was that some people became overly cautious thinking that simply touching a surface could lead to their death. This report is reassuring because it’s shown that it’s more or less, if not completely impossible to become ill because we’ve touched a surface. I hope the emphasis on cleaning surfaces ie on planes, becomes part of our lives though, because there’s no doubt, high touch surfaces are more hygienic for us all. But perhaps overly anxious people will realise that they do not need to clean their shopping or quarantine their post any longer as it’s impossible to contract Covid from these surfaces.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Aug-21 08:20:43

Chaos and u-turns

MaizieD Tue 03-Aug-21 08:10:05

Lincslass

MayBee70

JenniferEccles

It was very enlightening to read a report recently stating that not a single trace of covid was found when inspectors tested trains and railway stations around the country.
No airborne particles either were found.

Very reassuring now people are being encouraged to return to offices.

Time indeed to reclaim our lives.

They are spraying everything with some sort of antibacterial stuff that lasts for a month though! Not everything is going to be cleaned to such a high standard.

Caught a train into London, as usual inspected the little fold down table, usually filthy, was pleasantly surprised to find it immaculately clean, as were the seats and the floor.

Encouraging though this report is, it's missing the point. Covid is very rarely caught from contact with infected surfaces. It is airborne. All the most intensive deep cleaning in the world will not prevent you from being infected if you are sharing an enclosed, poorly ventilated space (office, shop, cafe, bus, railway carriage etc) with someone who has covid and whose virus laden aerosols are filling the space.

Correctly fitted masks and good ventilation are the keys to avoiding and preventing infection.

Antibacterial treatment is useless, BTW. Covid is caused by a virus, not by bacteria. The virus is not necessarily affected by something that kills bacteria.

Lincslass Tue 03-Aug-21 06:40:08

MayBee70

JenniferEccles

It was very enlightening to read a report recently stating that not a single trace of covid was found when inspectors tested trains and railway stations around the country.

They are spraying everything with some sort of antibacterial stuff that lasts for a month though! Not everything is going to be cleaned to such a high standard.

Caught a train into London, as usual inspected the little fold down table, usually filthy, was pleasantly surprised to find it immaculately clean, as were the seats and the floor.

MayBee70 Mon 02-Aug-21 23:39:12

JenniferEccles

maddyone Mon 02-Aug-21 23:39:11

That’s good news Doodledog. Glad you enjoyed your first non essential outing.

Doodledog Mon 02-Aug-21 23:19:31

I went out (to a farm shop) today just because I wanted to. That was my first non-essential trip since the beginning of the first lockdown. Essential ones have been medical appointments only, apart from a trip to the hairdresser to stop me looking like a yeti.

It was strange to be amongst people in real life, as opposed to on screen. I bought a toy for the dog and a ludicrously expensive fruit pie ?. Whoever said that lockdown had taught them not to buy non-essentials was right!

It made a nice change though, and I'm ready to start venturing out again.

Deedaa Mon 02-Aug-21 22:57:51

MayBee70 I was yelling "Bijoux"

I'm not cowering but I'm not going out of my way to do anything stupid.

maddyone Mon 02-Aug-21 22:57:26

My husband saw that report Jennifer and passed on the information to me. It is indeed heartening.

JenniferEccles Mon 02-Aug-21 22:54:02

MissAdventure Mon 02-Aug-21 22:49:19

Of course! smile

MayBee70 Mon 02-Aug-21 22:47:46

Cheese and onion?

MissAdventure Mon 02-Aug-21 22:40:11

I enjoy being home.
There isn't anything that tempts me out.
Don't drink, can't dance, not after a man, hate musicals, and shopping leaves me cold.
I prefer to stay in and eat crisps. smile

MayBee70 Mon 02-Aug-21 22:30:27

The highlight of my week is still University Challenge. If that makes me sad and miserable sobeit! Was anybody else screaming ‘bijoux’ at the telly tonight?

growstuff Mon 02-Aug-21 22:27:38

MayBee70

If I’ve learned one thing from the pandemic it’s that I’ve wasted an awful lot of my life going shopping. And, in the process, bought far too much stuff that I don’t actually need.

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't understand the attraction of going shopping, especially for stuff such as groceries. I already find life is too short to do the things I really enjoy.

growstuff Mon 02-Aug-21 22:25:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Rowantree Mon 02-Aug-21 22:23:43

Common sense my arse. Imagine leaving speed restrictions to 'common sense' in the hope that people would think of others' safety.

MayBee70 Mon 02-Aug-21 21:42:28

If I’ve learned one thing from the pandemic it’s that I’ve wasted an awful lot of my life going shopping. And, in the process, bought far too much stuff that I don’t actually need.

love0c Mon 02-Aug-21 20:24:13

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.