Gransnet forums

News & politics

So how do we feel about Sajid Javid telling us not to ‘cower’ from Covid

(217 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 25-Jul-21 10:49:40

Great post Parsley
Yes, for the sake of my CEV husband who was hospitalised last year despite shielding;
I’m going to carry on cowering

Parsley3 Sun 25-Jul-21 10:42:03

So we are cowards now in the eyes of the Health Secretary. Lucky old Javid to have had mild symptoms but it is a pity that he doesn't have the political intelligence to look beyond his personal experience. My double jagged friends were quite ill with Covid, one hospitalised and are still recovering weeks later. What an a#se he is.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Jul-21 10:40:45

Yes Galaxy
It’s horrible isn’t it.
Like if you die, it’s because you’re not ‘a fighter’.

Doodledog Sun 25-Jul-21 10:40:44

eazybee

Perfectly sensible and realistic statement, particularly the part urging people to take the vaccine.

There will always be those who need to be ultra cautious and take extra precautions because of health issues, but a healthy economy is essential to ensure people can live safely, and protect those who can't; a carefully managed return to work and as normal a life as possible is necessary, and the vaccine is one way of doing this.

I approve of the vaccine 100%, but there is a distinct possibility that this reckless 'opening up' will render it useless. With nearly half the population still unvaccinated and unlimited mixing, there is a greater chance of vaccine-resistant strains developing.

The return to work is not being 'carfully managed'. Nothing is.

Grandmashe43 Sun 25-Jul-21 10:39:54

I am not a violent woman,,but on reading his comments this morning, I would like to kick his a***.
The selfish,stupid, excuse of a politician.

Galaxy Sun 25-Jul-21 10:38:13

The language we use around illness has always been weird. That's just another example. Fighting, battles, it's all horrible and nonsensical.

eazybee Sun 25-Jul-21 10:32:21

Perfectly sensible and realistic statement, particularly the part urging people to take the vaccine.

There will always be those who need to be ultra cautious and take extra precautions because of health issues, but a healthy economy is essential to ensure people can live safely, and protect those who can't; a carefully managed return to work and as normal a life as possible is necessary, and the vaccine is one way of doing this.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Jul-21 10:12:03

Awful.
As well as the obvious insensitivity and ‘I’m alright Jack-ery’, he sounds very ignorant.
This ‘government’ just gets worse and worse.
The words ‘I despair’ are well overused; but I do, I really do

Daisymae Sun 25-Jul-21 10:07:37

I think that it demonstrates the attitude of those in government. I would also suggest that it much easier to remain uncowered if you have direct access to the best medical care this country has to offer as opposed to the mercies of 111.

Kali2 Sun 25-Jul-21 10:05:40

Yep- same here!

GagaJo Sun 25-Jul-21 10:02:37

How very Trump of him.

After all the mismanagement of the current government, they can F off if they think I'm going to take their advice to risk the health of myself and my family in order to hasten their goal of herd immunity.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 25-Jul-21 10:02:03

So all of us adhering to science guidelines have been cowering have we?

I would rather suggest that all those who didn’t follow scientific guidelines were selfish.

Doodledog Sun 25-Jul-21 09:50:59

No, I wasn’t suggesting that Cummings leaked the comment, more that it was allowed to go out unsanitised.

MaizieD Sun 25-Jul-21 09:50:49

Typical tory heartless stupidity, really. I shall continue to cower and ignore his predictable idiocy.

Though I appreciate that his message plays into the hands of the 'anti everything' brigade.

Nezumi65 Sun 25-Jul-21 09:47:21

Twitter is often not monitored - it’s why I find it interesting. No 10 policy is presumably now to have as many catch it as possible assuming ‘only people dying from Covid are the over 80’s’ or whatever Johnson said. Whilst paying no attention to the risk of developing variants from this policy.

Hancock presumably had to go because he was more cautious (which means it definitely wasn’t Cummings behind the leak, however much he thinks Hancock was useless, as he is more cautious).

Doodledog Sun 25-Jul-21 09:38:50

The message does seem to play into the hands of those who call the cautious ‘sheep’ and accuse mask-wearers of cowardice.

I am not surprised at the fact that the government is putting the economy before the people, as that is the Tory way, but I am quite surprised at the fact that the message has gone out in this way. It is usually far mor sanitised. Who is managing their Comms now that Cummings is out of the picture.

Nezumi65 Sun 25-Jul-21 09:28:59

twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1418932718847541248?s=21

Must be a huge kick in the guts to anyone who has lost someone to covid.

I was pretty purple with rage tbh. Eldest son has not been able to be vaccinated but has severe learning disabilities so is at much higher risk from Covid. He has never cowered from anything in his life - but some caution might be sensible.

Not sure what will happen if their gamble on not creating a vaccine resistant strain while massively introducing transmission doesn’t come off.