Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ken Loach may be kicked out of Labour

(183 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 27-Jul-21 21:55:07

I'm in shock.

Legendary film-maker and lifelong political activist Ken Loach could be ejected from the Labour Party, it has been rumoured on social media.

It comes after Sir Keir Starmer purged 1,000 Labour leftwingers from four “poisonous” campaign groups as the party clamps down on supporters of the leader’s predecessor, Jeremy Corbyn.

www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/fury-amid-speculation-that-ken-loach-is-to-be-kicked-out-of-labour-party-283287/

varian Sun 15-Aug-21 00:57:07

I am neither obsessed nor Tory. Like most UK voters I am anti Tory and so despair at the antics of elements of the Labour Party

GagaJo Sat 14-Aug-21 22:51:57

It has zero to do with him not being the ex leader. It has everything to do with him not supporting the principals which they hold which led them to join the Labour party.

Give over about the has-been for heavens sake! Yet another obsessed Tory. It's very weird, this Tory obsession with JC. The bloke is gone!

varian Sat 14-Aug-21 21:57:43

The ex LP members who have attacked the present leader because he is not Corby are undermining the Labour Party. A
and that helps the Tories. does it not?

GagaJo Sat 14-Aug-21 20:30:18

varian

Just what are these ex LP members hoping to achieve?

Which ex LP members?

varian Sat 14-Aug-21 19:35:05

Just what are these ex LP members hoping to achieve?

Ilovecheese Sat 14-Aug-21 19:32:55

Ken Loach did support Keir Starmer, whether he will continue to do so, who knows.

Devorgilla Sat 14-Aug-21 19:04:48

Last time I looked Ken Loach was not being put out of the Party because of his film-making skills. I guess some people prefer a Party made up of so many disparate factions that it becomes impossible to find another member who actually agrees with you, even on something as simple as whether it's raining or not.

MayBee70 Sat 14-Aug-21 16:54:04

Does Ken Loach support Keir Starmer as the elected leader of the Labour Party or is he one of those people that think that Corbyn should still be leader?

Ilovecheese Sat 14-Aug-21 16:04:28

Well we knew it was possible. I suppose it at lest makes it very clear that Keir Starmer's party does not really care for people who point out the inequalities in our society.

Grany Sat 14-Aug-21 14:41:18

voxpoliticalonline.com/2021/08/14/loach-expelled-from-labour-as-keir-starmer-expands-his-witch-hunt/

Grany Sat 14-Aug-21 14:39:51

Ken Loach is kicked out of the Labour Party

Keir Starmer’s Labour Party has expelled legendary film-maker Ken Loach for refusing to disown fellow members who were expelled without evidence.

How ridiculous: this pillar of the Left has been unjustly expelled from Labour for insisting that people have been unjustly expelled from Labour.

The director’s I’Daniel Blake was a damning indictment of the Tory policy of persecution against the unemployed – particularly people with long-term illnesses and disabilities. Starmer’s decision to expel him may be seen as support for such policies.

He announced his removal on Twitter:

'Labour HQ finally decided I'm not fit to be a member of their party, as I will not disown those already expelled. Well…' KL

— Ken Loach & Sixteen Films (@KenLoachSixteen) August 14, 2021

Ilovecheese Mon 09-Aug-21 15:34:18

When Keir Starmer first became leader of the Labour party, and it looked as if he might continue with some policies from the previous manifesto, a smear campaign was started against him, with the hope that this one would work just as well as the previous smear campaign against the previous leader. Even a couple of posters on this site appeared to believe it.

I think that the reason the smears have gone quiet is because the right wing have realised they have nothing to fear from Keir Starmer.

Anniebach The letter is in no way obsessed with Jeremy Corbyn, his suspension was just one of a number of things that has caused that chap to hand in his resignation.

Kali2 I hope you are right, I will be really pleased if you are.

Kali2 Sun 08-Aug-21 21:48:46

KS is a great barrister- he knows that he needs to let those with lose ropes get entangled and eventually more...

what is the saying 'never disturb an enemy who ...'

Anniebach Sun 08-Aug-21 21:28:53

If as claimed tory supporters are obsessed with Corbyn, what does it say of the chap whose letter * grany* posted

MayBee70 Sun 08-Aug-21 20:26:23

GagaJo

I had a bf that was a Labour supporter like you MB. I only support if the party reflects my principals. Each to their own.

So, with respect, why don’t you teach in an inner city comprehensive school like my daughter did until government cuts over the years wore her down. I asked her to move to the private sector but she wouldn’t do it on principle.

Callistemon Sun 08-Aug-21 19:58:50

Kali2

Principles are wonderful- but what is the point if there is no chance in being elected and therefore able to change things?

The world has changed since the heyday of big Unions and mines, steelworks, etc, and people's aspirations have changed too. That does not mean they have lost their 'principles', just that they reflect new realities.

That, absolutely.

Kali2 Sun 08-Aug-21 19:56:21

And on this I totally agree, 100%. Once all people have a decent wage however, I see no reason why it is wrong in principle to have people who for all sorts of reasons, and I hope principally hard work (and we all know a decent family, and all sorts of other things can help or hamper) rise above - as long as they treat their workers right and pay fair taxes.

trisher Sun 08-Aug-21 19:37:04

Kali2

Principles are wonderful- but what is the point if there is no chance in being elected and therefore able to change things?

The world has changed since the heyday of big Unions and mines, steelworks, etc, and people's aspirations have changed too. That does not mean they have lost their 'principles', just that they reflect new realities.

That's absolutely true. But no one is suggesting we resurrect Clause 4. Most Labour supporters though and particularly union people believe zero hours contracts are not acceptable unfortunately it seems some in the shadow cabinet don't agree. So there's one principle which really shouldn't be lost, The concept that people need a job which pays a reasonable wage someone can live on comfortably.

Kali2 Sun 08-Aug-21 19:19:29

GagaJo Sun 08-Aug-21 18:35:09

I had a bf that was a Labour supporter like you MB. I only support if the party reflects my principals. Each to their own.

GagaJo Sun 08-Aug-21 18:33:14

Of course he's a has-been. I 100% agree despite previously being a supporter. All past party leaders are. I guess I'm what they see as loony left then. Hard not to be, as a teacher.

MayBee70 Sun 08-Aug-21 18:31:47

Not from some Labour party Facebook pages I’m on. Maybe there are trolls in them but they can’t all be trolls. I get no end of abuse from some people because I’m prepared to support whoever happens to be party leader. They accuse me of being a Tory even though I’d been voting Labour before most of them had even been born,

Casdon Sun 08-Aug-21 18:29:19

I do get why GagaJo. He embodies what most Tory supporters would see as the ‘loony left’. Tory supporters in that context includes floating voters, who make up the majority of the population - not affiliated to a particular party, and also the moderate elements of the Labour Party itself, not that we go on about him. As a result of his stated beliefs and his actions, fired up by the press, he has become the embodiment of what that largest portion of the electorate are scared of in a leader, and by implication, a party, hence the obsessive referencing. In reality he’s a has-been.

GagaJo Sun 08-Aug-21 18:04:56

It's only Tory supporters obsessed with Corbyn. I really don't get why.

trisher Sun 08-Aug-21 17:57:06

MayBee70

Anniebach

Why of why can’t they accept Corbyn has gone, he lost 2
general elections, refused to take part in the tv debates on
Brexit, even went on bloody holiday during it.

Voters didn’t like him, he doesn’t give a fig about winning the
next general election, possibly would delight in a loss.

I’m afraid he has become a cult like figure. Which is dangerous.

Quite where does this come from. He's a constituency MP. He was voted on as a Labour MP. He has had the whip withdrawn for no definite reason. Nothing else.
But now apparently CLPs cannot talk about him. Where's the cult? No one is suggesting he comes back as leader. Most just want a leader who can do what Starmer can't. Unite the party.