Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stonehenge - High Court result

(28 Posts)
Dinahmo Mon 02-Aug-21 18:00:30

This is very good news about the possible tunnel close to Stonehenge.

"We were delighted to hear today that Save Stonehenge WHS’s legal challenge was successful and the Development Consent Order for the A303 Stonehenge scheme has been quashed.

"The judge found that the Transport Secretary did not have all of the evidence needed lawfully to carry out the ‘heritage’ balancing exercise required by planning policy; and that he had unlawfully left out of account consideration of a less damaging alternative to the scheme, such as a longer tunnel."

It's especially good news because Stonehenge is one of the sites that UNESCO is thinking of de-listing

TerriBull Wed 04-Aug-21 11:35:33

I love Stonehenge, when I was a child and we were having a family holiday in the west country, we would always stop off there, and of course then, viewers could get right up close and touch the stones. I haven't done that since it was cordoned off somewhat. Nevertheless, as it comes into view I still find it thrilling and it inevitably triggers my thoughts about its construction and significance to the ancient British people. who lived around it. ....but yes the jams around the site can be bad and not great if that journey has to be undertaken on a daily basis. I don't suppose any inconvenience to future generations, thousands of years hence was factored in during the construction of the monument, but that's the Celts for you no foresight hmm

Squiffy Wed 04-Aug-21 12:23:59

Agree with other posters about actually seeing Stonehenge as you drive there. We once experienced dawn rising on a very early journey. It was breathtaking, especially as there was a low mist. Goosebumpy experience!