Gransnet forums

News & politics

English people want to bring back mask wearing and social distancing

(149 Posts)
PippaZ Thu 05-Aug-21 15:07:49

YouGov poll August 04, 2021, 9:33 AM

Just the headlines here but I wonder what you think?

English people tend to think that coronavirus restrictions have been lifted too soon.

English people want to bring back mask wearing and social distancing and to re-close nightclubs

Labour voters, women and older people are more likely to support reintroducing restrictions

My view? Generally in agreement with all these.

MaizieD Sat 07-Aug-21 12:18:17

jusnoneed

If we don't have a certain amount of natural immunity build up in the population to these viruses are we all going to be having five/ten or more jabs every year in the future?
I had flu (not just the heavy cold that many people refer to as flu) about 15 years ago, I have not had even a bad cold since. You would say that's not natural immunity?? My OH has the flu jab every year and every winter he coughs and sneezes his way around for about 4 months. Didn't do that before he started being jabbed.

So far as I have read, the 'natural immunity' conveyed by actually being infected with and recovering from covid19 is not long lasting. Antibody counts drop quite rapidly. So, in the same way that you don't have immunity from catching a cold, however many times you've previously had a cold, you don't appear to be able to enjoy a long lasting 'natural immunity' to covid.

As I pointed out earlier, covid attacks the body in far more serious ways than does a dose of flu, including impairing brain function. This, for me, is a powerful argument for not letting it run unchecked..

Or am I missing something?

PippaZ Sat 07-Aug-21 14:37:20

There is also the problem that Covid is more infectious than flu or a cold - it's more transmissable, particularly the Delta variant.

I think Charles Darwin hit it on the head when he said:

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."

jusnoneed Sat 07-Aug-21 14:50:48

So I assume then you are saying the body has no natural ways to fight to any virus? Why then doesn't everybody who chooses not to put a guessed at cocktails of chemicals into their system every year get the flu or heavy colds when they are around? Possibly because your system recognises the infection having had it once and fights it off. No?
I never said it should be left unchecked, but there does need to be some natural build up for our bodies to fight any illness.

What are the long term effects of pumping increasing amounts of drugs into your body? Do people know how the flu jab they are probably going to have in the next few weeks will react with the covid jabs they've have already had, and then a booster one that some are likely to add to the mix? How will they all build up over time. Add in the other vaccines that are on offer and it's quite a concoction.
Could they be slowly doing damage? It may be years before that's known.
Not for me thanks very much.

Alegrias1 Sat 07-Aug-21 15:54:34

Immunity isn't just a happy coincidence jusnoneed. It comes via having had the disease or the vaccine. The flu virus mutates all the time, so that's why we have a booster every year. Like we'll probably need a Covid booster.

Vaccines don't hang around in your body after you've had them. They kick your immune system into action then they're gone. So they won't "build up over time", any more than the vaccines we (probably) all had as children are still circulating around out bodies. So there's nothing for your next vaccination to react with.

Could they slowly be doing damage? No, they couldn't.

Callistemon Sat 07-Aug-21 16:10:10

The virus can and will probably continue to mutate, justnoneed.

Just as we can catch yet another cold (another type of corona virus but rarely as dangerous) or flu, we may develop an immunity but the virus may change so we could catch a new variant.

MaizieD Sat 07-Aug-21 16:16:03

Callistemon

The virus can and will probably continue to mutate, justnoneed.

Just as we can catch yet another cold (another type of corona virus but rarely as dangerous) or flu, we may develop an immunity but the virus may change so we could catch a new variant.

I think we're on a loser here... (meaning those of us who have responded)

MaizieD Sat 07-Aug-21 16:18:41

Perhaps you should listen to this, justnoneed. I guess that you're not a young woman, or pregnant, but are unvaccinated.. and maybe older and more vulnerable...

twitter.com/LBC/status/1423612804687335432

Magrithea Sat 07-Aug-21 18:14:42

As it's now personal choice I wear a mask in the supermarket, more out of respect for older shoppers but I'd rather ditch it altogether tbh.

M0nica Sat 07-Aug-21 18:47:04

Vaccinations have been around for a hundred years or more. Our children when young have lots of vaccinations against a myriad of diseases.

The first children to have this cocktail of innoculations are now in their 60s, and 70s. Is there any evidence that we are suffering from the effects of all these vaccines or is 60-70 years not long enough to really know what effect they are having on us?

jusnoneed Sat 07-Aug-21 19:02:50

As I said Maizie (in my original post) I have had two jabs and won't be having any more. Not preggers or vulnerable either. And as I said I have never had a flu vaccine, nor will I. I have had the flu and since then have never had so much as a bad cold. 15 years so something in my "ignorant" body must be able to protect and fight against it. But this "loser" seems to be in the minority.
I never said immunity was a happy coincidence Alegrias, as you say you can get immunity two ways.
You have no way of knowing what these drugs do inside your bodies while they are there, even in a short time.
If you all follow along you could be having multiple stabbings every year as this virus changes (which duh yes we all know it will do just like the flu one does!) and more variants pop up. And soon those boffins will be trying to guess which one will be next, just like they do with the flu. They don't always get that right do they?

No wonder so many people have left this site, I have just been called ignorant and treated as though I'm stupid, just because I have a different opinion to all you brainy experts and scientists.

Alegrias1 Sat 07-Aug-21 19:07:32

You have no way of knowing what these drugs do inside your bodies while they are there, even in a short time.

The doctors and scientists do. I believe them. Call me stupid. You don't get a "stabbing" for every variant.

(ps - yes I am a scientist. And nobody called you ignorant or stupid, they tried to explain what was going on.)

MaizieD Sat 07-Aug-21 19:15:46

I do apologise though, for misreading your initial post, *jusnoneed, and thinking that you hadn't been vaccinated.

Dinahmo Sat 07-Aug-21 19:27:11

jusnoneed You may have had flu once and not had the vaccine since but you could have been lucky. I'm an asthmatic and until recently have suffered bad bouts of bronchitis at least twice a year. Maybe you're more healthy than I am and not prone to catching what ever's going around.

Every time I go on a plane I pick up a bug. The last time I was returning home just before Christmas. The woman in the seat but one next to me was coughing and spluttering and not using a handkerchief or tissue. The next afternoon I could feel an infection coming on and the following day bronchitis and I had 2 weeks in bed with 2 courses of antibiotics.

The next time I go on public transport I will be wearing a mask.

Where I live everybody is masked in the shops and you will be told to go and get one before you back in. If we go to the cinema, theatre and other venues that can hold more 50 we have to show our covid vaccination certificates.

From Monday bars and restaurants are required to check them too although many restaurant and bar owners are refusing to do this. The bar in my village is closing at the end of this month. Cinemas get around it by having a maximum of 49 people in per showing.

M0nica Sat 07-Aug-21 20:24:29

justnoneed when you responded to Maizie and Alegrias, you forgot to answer the question I asked in the post above yours.

To make it easier for you I will repeat it here
Vaccinations have been around for a hundred years or more. Our children when young have lots of vaccinations against a myriad of diseases.

The first children to have this cocktail of innoculations are now in their 60s, and 70s. Is there any evidence that we are suffering from the effects of all these vaccines or is 60-70 years not long enough to really know what effect they are having on us?

I look forward to your reply.

PippaZ Sat 07-Aug-21 21:23:09

And as I said I have never had a flu vaccine, nor will I. I have had the flu and since then have never had so much as a bad cold.

The problem with this view is that as we get older our bodies own defence systems get weaker, really quite a lot weaker than a young person.

When you have a vaccine, it gives your body a chance to "learn" the virus and how to attack it. This is the only way your body can 'learn' the virus without you becoming ill or worse.

For an older person, this will mean that if they then get the virus, their defence systems will have been primed to fight the disease. This "upgrade" of the bodies defence system is why we do not become so ill or may even not notice we have had the virus.

The vaccine will also help cut transmissibility. It does this in two ways. Firstly, it helps reduce the number of people in the population susceptible to the virus. It also helps cut transmissibility by reducing the amount of virus that people produce when infected. This is often talked of as 'viral load'. This makes vaccination important to the community as well as the individual.

maddyone Sat 07-Aug-21 23:58:16

I’m not very clever, and I’m not a scientist, but I do like to listen to the experts. I am clever enough though to know the difference between opinion and fact based science. The scientists have provided us with a life saving vaccine and we know it works because despite high numbers of infections, deaths remain quite low. The experts have told us the vaccines are safe for the vast majority of people. I accept your right to hold an opinion, but you are not either an expert nor a scientist. I prefer to listen to them.

NfkDumpling Sun 08-Aug-21 06:31:27

PippaZ

^And as I said I have never had a flu vaccine, nor will I. I have had the flu and since then have never had so much as a bad cold.^

The problem with this view is that as we get older our bodies own defence systems get weaker, really quite a lot weaker than a young person.

When you have a vaccine, it gives your body a chance to "learn" the virus and how to attack it. This is the only way your body can 'learn' the virus without you becoming ill or worse.

For an older person, this will mean that if they then get the virus, their defence systems will have been primed to fight the disease. This "upgrade" of the bodies defence system is why we do not become so ill or may even not notice we have had the virus.

The vaccine will also help cut transmissibility. It does this in two ways. Firstly, it helps reduce the number of people in the population susceptible to the virus. It also helps cut transmissibility by reducing the amount of virus that people produce when infected. This is often talked of as 'viral load'. This makes vaccination important to the community as well as the individual.

Beautifully explained Pippa.

NfkDumpling Sun 08-Aug-21 06:38:45

If my GP says its a good idea, then I trust him and his knowledge and experience to be right and do as he says, just as I trust his judgement in all other things medical.

My surgery has all my medical records (well, most of them - but that's another story), and can judge far better than some random opinion of an unknown being on the world wide web what is in my best interests.

M0nica Sun 08-Aug-21 11:45:53

I will give justinneed another day or two to answer the question I asked and she dodged.

But as you say, so rightly maddy1. Those opposing vaccinations do not deal in facts and evidence, just in opinions, and uncorroborated opinions at that, and never answer questions that try to get them to justify their assertions with corroborated information.

PippaZ Sun 08-Aug-21 11:51:01

maddyone

I’m not very clever, and I’m not a scientist, but I do like to listen to the experts. I am clever enough though to know the difference between opinion and fact based science. The scientists have provided us with a life saving vaccine and we know it works because despite high numbers of infections, deaths remain quite low. The experts have told us the vaccines are safe for the vast majority of people. I accept your right to hold an opinion, but you are not either an expert nor a scientist. I prefer to listen to them.

Who are you answering with this maddyone?

maddyone Mon 09-Aug-21 13:50:55

Oh sorry Pippa, I’ve only just spotted your question. I was answering jusnoneed.
It was just my thought on what she had said.

Joesoap Mon 09-Aug-21 14:07:55

I am visiting the UK soon and will certainly wear a mask in crowded places indoors and on public transport. Masks are no bother for me I have been vaccinating people and worn one all day having a new one every four hours you get used to it

PippaZ Mon 09-Aug-21 15:16:02

Thank you for your work vaccinating others - and such a down to earth attitude.