Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Andrew is being sued

(219 Posts)
maddyone Tue 10-Aug-21 10:44:15

Well it had to be done, so I’m doing it. It’s in the news this morning that Prince Andrew is being sued in New York by Virginia Roberts for having underage sex with her when she was seventeen. Will there be a successful outcome for her?

maddyone Wed 11-Aug-21 23:08:58

Thank you for the information trisher, I had wondered about that. The Queen should not have done that in my opinion, but unfortunately she didn’t ask me. I don’t think Andrew deserves paid for security since he’s not doing royal duties any longer.

Shinamae Wed 11-Aug-21 22:56:04

Jabberwok

Alegrias1 How do you know that Prince Andrew isn't doing charity work anonymously? Even the highly educated superior people on GN don't know everything, although I'm sure that they believe that they do.

Very well said and very true ????????????

MissAdventure Wed 11-Aug-21 22:55:55

grin
How funny!

Callistemon Wed 11-Aug-21 22:54:28

trisher

Andrew still has security, mummy fixed it for him www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8395675/Prince-Andrew-allowed-300-000-year-bodyguards.html

Well, I misread that link:
"Prince Andrew allowed 300 year old bodyguards"

It really is time for bed.

MissAdventure Wed 11-Aug-21 22:51:58

This is the kind of royal family story that interests me.
All if it; the rumours, the facts, the twists and turns.

trisher Wed 11-Aug-21 22:48:35

Andrew still has security, mummy fixed it for him www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8395675/Prince-Andrew-allowed-300-000-year-bodyguards.html

MissAdventure Wed 11-Aug-21 22:29:57

I think this is all going to be nearly swept away and never spoken of.
It'll be interesting to watch this unfold.

Grany Wed 11-Aug-21 21:54:45

“If the Queen upheld high moral standards and defended probity in public life, she'd order her son to meet the FBI in London to answer questions or catch a flight to New York.

The royals have successfully lobbied to be exempted from the Freedom of Information law, to avoid millions of pounds of tax, to secure more generous funding through the Sovereign Grant and to give them huge commercial advantages.
Time that all stopped don't you think?
actionstorm.org/petitions/ban-royal-lobbying

Stop the secrecy

Scrap the consent law.

The Duchy of Cornwall is a major commercial enterprise. It has significant advantages because Charles has secret access to cabinet papers and ministers, and the right to insist laws are changed to suit his interests. How can anyone defend that?

Parsley3 Wed 11-Aug-21 18:43:43

Anniebach

Parsley I am sick of reading ‘ asking why she is only naming
Andrew as if that let’s him off’

Asking about one of the Kray twins doesn’t mean one thinks the other twin is innocent, it may for you but not for me.

I haven’t asked about any Kray twin so what may be for me but not for you? Andrew is involved and he should be ashamed of himself.

maddyone Wed 11-Aug-21 17:42:23

^….the security detail would be a giveaway……

Does Andrew still have paid for security? Princess Anne only has it when she’s doing a royal engagement, likewise Sophie and Edward. None of their children have paid for security, although Andrew kicked up a stink when it was withdrawn from his daughters. I believe he pays for their security himself now, but Sophie and Edward’s and Anne’s children don’t have security at all if I remember correctly.

Petera Wed 11-Aug-21 15:25:13

Alegrias1

Anniebach

Ilovecheese surely no charity would want to be associated with him.

Although the RF don't seem to be aware of this fact, you can do charity work anonymously and not be named, or photographed shaking hands with people.

He could set up a nice organisation that decides where all his vast fortune gets distributed. Then in 40 years people will say, he turned his life round, didn't he?

I know I'm dreaming....wink

In some ways this is what Profumo did (not that I'm suggesting that PA can or would)

Summerlove Wed 11-Aug-21 14:38:51

Blossoming

To all the people whining on about ‘She hasn’t sued an American who raped her’.

Jeffrey Epstein, American, rapist and serial abuser.

That doesn’t feed the narrative of a money hungry opportunist though, does it

Alegrias1 Wed 11-Aug-21 14:32:17

Jabberwok

Alegrias1 How do you know that Prince Andrew isn't doing charity work anonymously? Even the highly educated superior people on GN don't know everything, although I'm sure that they believe that they do.

I don't, he may well be doing that. Good for him if he is. We'll call it atonement. If he's handing out food parcels as suggested by Ilovecheese he could do it wearing a mask then nobody would know it was him.

Except the security detail would be a giveaway, I guess.

Whatdayisit Wed 11-Aug-21 14:31:44

Well maybe Oxfam would have him with their unsavoury activities in disaster zones.

Jabberwok Wed 11-Aug-21 14:23:28

Ilovecheese Wed 11-Aug-21 14:19:39

Anniebach

I was thinking more along the lines of actual work like handing out parcels at a food bank, anonymously, not putting his name on a letterhead.

Blossoming Wed 11-Aug-21 14:17:06

To all the people whining on about ‘She hasn’t sued an American who raped her’.

Jeffrey Epstein, American, rapist and serial abuser.

Whatdayisit Wed 11-Aug-21 14:15:58

Maybe he could do some gardening for HM as she was asking for volunteers to help with the weeding at Sandringham.

Whatdayisit Wed 11-Aug-21 14:14:31

Anniebach

Beat me too it Anniebach.
I am wondering if the people of Yorkshire would like his Duke of York title removing. I think we would.

Alegrias1 Wed 11-Aug-21 14:11:27

Anniebach

Although the RF don't seem to be aware of this fact, you can do charity work anonymously and not be named, or photographed shaking hands with people.

He could set up a nice organisation that decides where all his vast fortune gets distributed. Then in 40 years people will say, he turned his life round, didn't he?

I know I'm dreaming....wink

Sarnia Wed 11-Aug-21 14:08:09

25Avalon

Maxwell is prepared to go to court and testify PA did not have sex with Giuffre according to The Telegraph.

To quote Mandy Rice-Davies, 'Well, she would say that'.

Anniebach Wed 11-Aug-21 14:06:50

Petera Wed 11-Aug-21 14:00:33

Anniebach

*Maddyone*. What could the Queen do or say ? She has never
spoken out about her family with the exception of the deaths of her mother, sister and ex daughter in law

She can do or say anything she likes. She has chosen not to speak out - this is not a rule that Moses brought down from the mountain.

Ilovecheese Wed 11-Aug-21 13:58:46

Sparklefizz

maddyone I know he won’t be doing anymore royal duties and has lost his patronages, but now he appears to just live a very privileged life style pleasing himself.

I'm not sure what we could expect him to do, though. What do you think?

Some sort of charity work I think would be a good idea.

Zennomore Wed 11-Aug-21 13:55:44

H1954

Is this woman a friend of Megan's by any chance?

Gransnet just hit an all time low ?