Gransnet forums

News & politics

“Recollections may vary”. Harry and Meghan (again - I know!)

(508 Posts)
MawBe Thu 19-Aug-21 07:36:38

This may be a pot shot too far, now they seem to be including the Queen in their self- righteous whingeing.
(Not that I am biased)
Apparently Duke and Duchess of Sussex believe the Queen failed to take “full ownership” of the race allegations made in their interview with Oprah Winfrey, according to the authors of the unauthorised biography Finding Freedom.
A “friend of the couple” (unnamed, of course) has apparently told Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand that the Queen’s lack of action had prevented the Duke and Duchess from moving on from the claims.
The source also suggested that the Queen’s assertion that “recollections may vary” had not gone down well.
(It did however rank IMHO as one of HM’s all-time greatest bons mots )
The Queen has until now been one of the only senior members of the Royal family to escape the Sussexes’ criticism, but this new epilogue to Finding Freedom, published in People magazine in the US, suggests that the Duke and Duchess feel frustrated that the Duke’s grandmother did not follow through with her promise to address their concerns.
It says: “The Queen’s ‘recollections may vary’ comment ‘did not go unnoticed’ by the couple, who a close source said were ‘not surprised’ that full ownership was not taken
Just one question, if this book is “unauthorised”, does it or does it not reflect their views? Or is it an example of letting somebody else put words in their mouths so that they can deny them afterwards if necessary? All these “unnamed friends,” and “close sources” - aye, right.

Grany Thu 07-Oct-21 11:03:46

Agree maddyone this does reflect badly on the queen and country.

Britain’s royal family has met members of autocratic Middle Eastern monarchies nearly once a fortnight since the crackdown on ‘Arab Spring’ protests began 10 years ago this month. Their visits have often coincided with human rights abuses in the Gulf, where pro-democracy activists are punished for criticising the Windsor ties to regimes.

More in Declassified

as long as queen and RF travel and mix with these middle eastern monarchies don't care

www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2021-02-23-revealed-british-royals-met-tyrannical-middle-east-monarchies-over-200-times-since-arab-spring-erupted-10-years-ago/

maddyone Thu 07-Oct-21 10:41:48

I’m disappointed that the Queen appears to have a close friendship with a certain Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum of Dubai. They share a love of horse racing and have given each other horses as gifts and he has often been seen with the Queen at racing events. However that is not the problem. The problem is that this individual is the very same person who abducted two of his daughters, who as adults tried to escape from him. One was abducted from Cambridge in England. It appears that he has now been found guilty of illegal hacking of his wife’s phone by the High Court. It appears she left him and came to live in England and is now afraid that he will abduct the children that they have together.
This relationship reflects badly on both the Queen and the country in my opinion.

Grany Thu 07-Oct-21 09:41:09

Tory fundraiser Ben Elliot refused to answer questions about allegations he solicited charity donations in return for access to Prince Charles. He was confronted by Sky's @joepike at the Conservative Party conference.

Read more here: trib.al/GM7TUJt

Given Charles has complete access to government papers and ministers, and complete secrecy surrounding who he meets and what he says, being able to buy access is a serious problem.

And
Andrew has close relationship with Crown Estate despot. #PandoraLeaks
independent.co.uk/news/business/news/duke-york-meet-azeri-despot-ilham-aliyev-12th-time-9857222.html

In case you missed it. Andrew has questionable friends. Who knew?

Alegrias1 Thu 07-Oct-21 09:17:44

Calendargirl

No, I haven’t Alegrias. It was on a Facebook page with a picture of Harry. It could have been the Express, but am not sure, there are so many references to him popping up.

Oh well, we'll just have to take it on trust then.

Anniebach Wed 06-Oct-21 22:20:01

Good grief

Sparklefizz Wed 06-Oct-21 19:06:10

Here's "Diana: The Musical"

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10064727/Diana-Musical-slammed-Netflix-release.html

Calendargirl Wed 06-Oct-21 18:11:50

No, I haven’t Alegrias. It was on a Facebook page with a picture of Harry. It could have been the Express, but am not sure, there are so many references to him popping up.

Josianne Wed 06-Oct-21 17:09:12

Calendargirl

I see Harry is now being called ‘Hollywood Harry’ in certain publications.

smile

Is that for Hallowe'en?

Hollywood Harryis the nickname given to former actor, clown, and circus performerHarold Kappowitzalso known asKoodles the Clown. After being kicked out of Universal Studios due to a decrease in the popularity and an increase in the fear of clowns, Kappowitz retreated into the Hollywood Hills and began to formulate his revenge to get back at those people who fired him.

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 16:36:14

Calendargirl

smile

Really? Got any links?

Calendargirl Wed 06-Oct-21 16:32:54

smile

Anniebach Wed 06-Oct-21 14:24:54

A musical ? So cruel

Josianne Wed 06-Oct-21 14:02:00

maddyone

I didn’t know they were making a musical about Diana, how gross. Why can’t the poor woman be left to rest in peace?

I think a ballet with swans would be good, but I'm not sure about Prince Charles in tights?

Callistemon Wed 06-Oct-21 13:56:05

annsixty

You have really upset me lemongrove
I will be 85 next birthday, so please tell me what is going to happen so that I will be prepared.
Will my teeth drop out, I am already white haired so will that fall out too?
I feel I am just coming up to late middle age, have I been kidding myself? ??

Your teeth will only drop out if you eat too much lemon drizzle cake, annsixty and don't clean them afterwards ?

Don't worry, 85 is still middle-aged these days, elderly is 99+

maddyone Wed 06-Oct-21 12:00:22

I didn’t know they were making a musical about Diana, how gross. Why can’t the poor woman be left to rest in peace?

Sparklefizz Wed 06-Oct-21 11:18:20

Getting back to Harry who is so keen on litigation .... why has he not sued Netflix for their dreadful production "Diana: The Musical" in the way they have portrayed his mother? .... oh wait, it's the money!

kissngate Mon 04-Oct-21 19:31:34

I didn't realise until recently it's Rachel Meghan and her surname was originally Merckel (German descent) but changed to Markle when early ancestors emigrated to America.

annsixty Mon 04-Oct-21 16:58:29

You have really upset me lemongrove
I will be 85 next birthday, so please tell me what is going to happen so that I will be prepared.
Will my teeth drop out, I am already white haired so will that fall out too?
I feel I am just coming up to late middle age, have I been kidding myself? ??

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-Oct-21 16:33:39

I'd like to have some of Josianne's cheery cheesecake if there's any left

Grany Mon 04-Oct-21 09:53:44

#Abolishthemonarchy was trending on twitter when it was learnt Queen spending millions defending the sweaty one Andrew.

Queen lost money in shares due to pandemic

Eight gas-guzzling vehicles took the Queen of England and her entourage from Holyrood Palace to the Scottish Parliament so she could lecture Scots on the importance of COP26 and the need to go green. She then left on a helicopter back to Balmoral.

Words fail me!

She was booed

I love lemon drissel cake

lemongrove Sun 03-Oct-21 23:03:35

Laura Lemmun drissle, sounds posh and a bit French.

lemongrove Sun 03-Oct-21 23:02:14

Anniebach

‘When I Grow Old I Shall Wear Purple’

I’m wearing purple right now ( I think I have royal blood)?
And I’m not even old yet ( old is 85 onwards.)

LauraNorder Sun 03-Oct-21 22:16:14

Never mind Grany, let them eat cake, especially Lemmon drissel or, as I like to call it, lemmun drissle

Grany Sun 03-Oct-21 19:59:33

Queen gets tax bill on shooting sports at Balmoral estate slashed to lower than village pub

THE Queen has had her tax bill slashed by thousands of pounds for three Scottish shooting estates including Balmoral after making a successful appeal, The National can reveal.

In a controversial move, the new rateable value (RV) for deer stalking at Her Majesty’s largest property in Aberdeenshire – Balmoral Castle – is now lower than that of many pubs, shops and restaurants in the area – some of which may be struggling amid the pandemic.

lemsip Sun 03-Oct-21 17:02:31

I suddenly became a mr on my tv licence.. I live alone so was surprised.......

Josianne Sun 03-Oct-21 16:54:53

We had cheery cheesecake for desert today.