Gransnet forums

News & politics

“Recollections may vary”. Harry and Meghan (again - I know!)

(508 Posts)
MawBe Thu 19-Aug-21 07:36:38

This may be a pot shot too far, now they seem to be including the Queen in their self- righteous whingeing.
(Not that I am biased)
Apparently Duke and Duchess of Sussex believe the Queen failed to take “full ownership” of the race allegations made in their interview with Oprah Winfrey, according to the authors of the unauthorised biography Finding Freedom.
A “friend of the couple” (unnamed, of course) has apparently told Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand that the Queen’s lack of action had prevented the Duke and Duchess from moving on from the claims.
The source also suggested that the Queen’s assertion that “recollections may vary” had not gone down well.
(It did however rank IMHO as one of HM’s all-time greatest bons mots )
The Queen has until now been one of the only senior members of the Royal family to escape the Sussexes’ criticism, but this new epilogue to Finding Freedom, published in People magazine in the US, suggests that the Duke and Duchess feel frustrated that the Duke’s grandmother did not follow through with her promise to address their concerns.
It says: “The Queen’s ‘recollections may vary’ comment ‘did not go unnoticed’ by the couple, who a close source said were ‘not surprised’ that full ownership was not taken
Just one question, if this book is “unauthorised”, does it or does it not reflect their views? Or is it an example of letting somebody else put words in their mouths so that they can deny them afterwards if necessary? All these “unnamed friends,” and “close sources” - aye, right.

Larsonsmum Thu 19-Aug-21 10:48:48

The Queen’s ‘recollections may vary’ comment said it all, and she was really right to issue that statement.

IMHO, it translates as 'their version of events is not at all how it was'.

Meghan & Harry are the most despicable pair, but I believe it is primarily Meghan, with Harry being carried along with her dreadful scheming ways.

He is going to end up having a total breakdown.....if he hasn't already.

tippytipsy Thu 19-Aug-21 10:55:22

Larsonsmum

The Queen’s ‘recollections may vary’ comment said it all, and she was really right to issue that statement.

IMHO, it translates as 'their version of events is not at all how it was'.

Meghan & Harry are the most despicable pair, but I believe it is primarily Meghan, with Harry being carried along with her dreadful scheming ways.

He is going to end up having a total breakdown.....if he hasn't already.

Your last sentence Larsonsmum.
Yes, all we hear about from Harry and Meghan are his problems and issues past and present.

MawBe Thu 19-Aug-21 10:56:18

Callistemon

I must admit that M&H are terminally boring!

So why aren't we bored?
?

My paint has dried- not a lot else to do gringrin

maddyone Thu 19-Aug-21 11:09:00

….whether an entitled pair have upset their entitled granny….

I think we can all agree that all three are entitled, but do we actually know if granny was upset?
I certainly thought recollections may vary was extremely clever, and it will be best if no more is said by any of the royal family about the latest line of attack, in my opinion.

eazybee Thu 19-Aug-21 11:16:06

They can't shut up, because all they have to sell is themselves, and there will probably be another ten years of this at least. But those of us who wish will continue to poke fun at them to debunk their pretensions.

Daisend1 Thu 19-Aug-21 11:17:44

Isn't a new life with their two beautiful children enough.?
Clearly NO .

Smileless2012 Thu 19-Aug-21 11:21:32

I think the saying 'no publicity is bad publicity' has gone to their heads!!!

Lillie Thu 19-Aug-21 11:24:15

shutting up or keeping quiet is what the royal family does
so harry and meghan are not likely to want to copy that stance

merlotgran Thu 19-Aug-21 11:28:05

I’m so bored with them now, I’ve taken up knitting again after 40 years!

Lillie Thu 19-Aug-21 11:31:50

oh no merlot gran
megan is coming back as 'pearl' on netflix
you may have to undo your stitches

Nannan2 Thu 19-Aug-21 11:32:31

This is more boring rehash.had enough.off to make a brew?

Lillie Thu 19-Aug-21 11:34:01

mawbes painting could be harrowed and balls

Lillie Thu 19-Aug-21 11:38:28

are you having some 'victoria' sandwich with your tea nanna2

maybe we will get meghan souffles named after her
a load of hot air

V3ra Thu 19-Aug-21 11:39:15

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9886915/Meghan-Markle-desperately-wanted-attend-Obamas-birthday-bash.html

I think they may be shooting themselves in the foot by criticising Her Majesty.

Another story yesterday was about whether the Beckhams are likely to invite both William and Harry to their own son's wedding, and if not both, which one.

I think slowly but surely the A-list invitations will stop coming their way.

henetha Thu 19-Aug-21 11:39:19

Imho Harry has gone from being HRH to PWW

JaneJudge Thu 19-Aug-21 11:43:40

Is this where a member of staff said something or a family member?

I am completely confused about it all these days.

I suppose if it was staff they have a right to confidentiality anyway even if an internal investigation was carried out within 'the firm' <how American does that sound> confused

If it was a family member, well we all have tossers in our family. I'm sure we don't all ask our Gran's to sort it out.

I am fed up of hearing about it all, why am I even commenting? grin I really could do with a holiday

25Avalon Thu 19-Aug-21 11:48:39

H&M have come out of their silence to say they are speechless about Afghanistan! It was reported the presenter on GB News had an attack of the giggles when his co presenter read that out!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 19-Aug-21 11:52:38

They have to make ia living and this is the only easy way they can.

Daisend1 Thu 19-Aug-21 11:56:48

Interesting hmmshould HRH Meghan ever take on /challenge The House of **Windsor

MawBe Thu 19-Aug-21 12:34:31

Lillie

confusedconfused
Are you comparing my posts to those little spherical objects?

Floriel Thu 19-Aug-21 12:39:18

I find it very hard to understand their game plan. They could have moved to California, lived in a beautiful house, kept on good terms with the RF and made a living, perhaps making benign documentaries about their famous friends, and relatives, or travelling to their beloved Africa and doing good. But the self-obsessed entitled pair go around looking for slights and trouble, endlessly complaining about their lives and taking potshots at one of the most respected women in the world. What do they hope to achieve? It makes me think Meghan isn't as bright as she was billed. And as for angry-looking Harry, I reckon he's completely lost the plot. I suspect the loyal RF is quietly waiting to pick up the pieces in a few months.

Lillie Thu 19-Aug-21 12:43:33

MawBe

Lillie

confusedconfused
Are you comparing my posts to those little spherical objects?

grin

distressed and rubbish painting h and m

your posts are far more satin smooth deluxe dulux than their outpoutings

Sparklefizz Thu 19-Aug-21 13:10:10

25Avalon

H&M have come out of their silence to say they are speechless about Afghanistan! It was reported the presenter on GB News had an attack of the giggles when his co presenter read that out!

It's like when Harry made an announcement to say that there would be no announcement over the birth of Archie ... and then there was an announcement after all! confused confused

M0nica Thu 19-Aug-21 15:46:13

I was pleased to see no mention of this rather boring couple's latest emanations on the BBC website. I saw it over DH's shoulder on Sky.

For a couple rendered speechless they were remarkably loquacious, just a shame that all they could say was vacuous inanities that inevitably circled back totalking about themselves.

I hope that in the future more media will follow the good example set by the BBC.

Callistemon Thu 19-Aug-21 16:00:58

MawBe

Callistemon

I must admit that M&H are terminally boring!

So why aren't we bored?
?

My paint has dried- not a lot else to do gringrin

I have some ends to weave into my crocheting - M&H are marginally more interesting!