Gransnet forums

News & politics

Geronimo

(104 Posts)
westendgirl Tue 31-Aug-21 12:55:35

I know that this is not huge in the scheme of things but it is news. Have just heard that Geronimo has been killed. I don't understand why DEFRA were unwilling to do a different test seeing that other people had reported that post mortem reports on their animals had shown negative.

NotSpaghetti Thu 09-Sep-21 13:15:49

This is the link to the DEFRA info as of yesterday regarding this animal:
deframedia.blog.gov.uk/2021/09/08/geronimo-the-tb-positive-alpaca-initial-post-mortem-results/

They basically say they have taken samples of lesions for growth and analysis. They also say it can take a long time for lesions to develop.
And they say TB is slow-growing. This is why they expect to have results by the end of the year.

Callistemon Thu 09-Sep-21 13:09:46

So, to sum it up: Preliminary findings are inconclusive and TB-like lesions were found which require further investigation. That will take some time, probably to be concluded by the end of 2021.
Her lawyers claim that no TB-like lesions were visible.

Contradictory statements then?

Zoejory Thu 09-Sep-21 13:01:44

Blossoming

Please read the article in your link and not just the inaccurate headline. It is the animal’s owner that has claimed he did not have TB. DEFRA have not yet published the test results. They have confirmed that a number of lesions were found and test results are not yet available.

I did read the article.

These lesions are being tested but the results won't be known until December at earliest.

Lawyers acting for Helen Macdonald have said the preliminary gross postmortem findings, reviewed by veterinary surgeons, are negative for visible lesions typical of bovine tuberculosis (TB)

However, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said a number of TB-like lesions were found in Geronimo and will be further investigated, adding the full postmortem results will not be concluded until the end of the year.

It's not a good result for Defra and they know it. I have to deal with them far more than I'd like to.

BlueBelle Thu 09-Sep-21 12:55:29

I ve thought that all song Janejudge since I saw her shouting she looked quite manic the owner I mean not the poor animal
She and she alone is to blame, what life did it have in a field on its own for four years while the rest of the flock played ate slept together horrendous

Lincslass Thu 09-Sep-21 12:53:07

royalsociety.org/blog/2017/04/science-for-defra-excellence-in-the-application-of-evidence/
Think I will believe the results from this scientific body, rather than the owner. Although to be fair in the great scheme of things Geronimo should be allowed to RIP, but methinks she will keep up the anti.

JaneJudge Thu 09-Sep-21 12:41:58

I know I sound a bit heartless but I have started to think she is bloody bonkers

MayBee70 Thu 09-Sep-21 12:39:15

Should he not have been to tested before he came to this country?

Callistemon Wed 08-Sep-21 15:05:11

He touched the world says his owner.

No, he did not. There was much else going on in the world over this time apart from the fate of one alpaca.

I'm sorry that he was put down in such a way but that was partly due to the owner and her supporters and, if he did not have TB, then the tests which are used need to be revisited.

But I doubt that most people in the world were interested, if they even knew about him.

Time to let him RIP.

Blossoming Wed 08-Sep-21 13:56:28

Please read the article in your link and not just the inaccurate headline. It is the animal’s owner that has claimed he did not have TB. DEFRA have not yet published the test results. They have confirmed that a number of lesions were found and test results are not yet available.

Zoejory Wed 08-Sep-21 13:48:22

I've just read that Geronimo didn't have TB.

Assuming this is correct, Defra will have to sort this out now.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/geronimo-alpaca-tb-test-death-b1916326.html

Blondiescot Wed 08-Sep-21 13:47:55

And so the initial results from the post mortem appear to indicate that Geronimo did NOT have TB. This whole issue was extremely badly handled from the very beginning.

foxie48 Wed 01-Sep-21 17:59:51

IMO owning an animal is a responsibility and part of that responsibility is to ensure that it meets it's end in the least stressful way possible. It makes me very angry to see animals being kept alive because the owner can't bare to make the correct decision to PTS. The owner of G was selfish, she should have allowed him to PTS in his own home with her at his side reassuring him.

Jabberwok Wed 01-Sep-21 16:45:33

Totally agree with BlueBelle.

Rosycheeks Wed 01-Sep-21 16:23:44

I remember having a sick chicken I cried so much when she had to be put to sleep. My cat was put to sleep I cried so much the vet and nurse were crying with me it is heartbreaking.
I watched half of the news of them dragging that poor little thing away and Im sure it was for the right reason but I did notice Geromino was with other Alpacas I thought it was supposed to be in isolation.

Callistemon Wed 01-Sep-21 14:37:48

And my post was to Whitewave ?

BlueBelle Wed 01-Sep-21 14:37:11

Sorry that wasn’t for you Greenlady I do apologise you were saying the same as me
It was for daisy

Callistemon Wed 01-Sep-21 14:36:15

Yes, it is. My friend didn't usually sell her alpaca wool (she inherited a couple with their smallholding) but I had another acquaintance who spun it so it went for good use.

BlueBelle Wed 01-Sep-21 14:35:45

Greenlady the owner appealed to as many people as possible to disrupt and stop the taking of the animal she and she alone caused it its last minute suffering
The poor animal had been living on its own for fours years because she couldn’t introduce it to the rest of her flock in case it passed on TB it had been brought thousands of miles from NZ
She and she alone must have caused it untold stress in its short life

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Sep-21 14:29:50

I have some alpaca clothing. Quite nice, very warm, as you would expect.

greenlady102 Wed 01-Sep-21 13:08:42

Callistemon

I don't think alpacas are bred for meat in the UK although they do in S America.

Is it for the wool?

They are bred as "quasi" pets. People own them and show them, use them for tourist businesses where you can take one for a walk. Some of the wool is sold but not at an industrial level. Its like keeping fancy chickens, goats, miniature horses, donkeys, cage birds, fancy rabbits and guinea pigs.

greenlady102 Wed 01-Sep-21 13:05:22

Daisend1

It was inevitable it was going to happen.Why and what reason they took soooo Bl---y long putting this defenceless creature through the trauma of endless cameras and gawking humans.

because the owner prevented other gentler options.

User7777 Wed 01-Sep-21 12:57:29

Vegansrock. I was just pointing out the inhumane way it was done. I an vegan. So any suffering of animals is abhorrent to me.

Callistemon Wed 01-Sep-21 12:56:52

I don't think alpacas are bred for meat in the UK although they do in S America.

Is it for the wool?

vegansrock Wed 01-Sep-21 12:50:18

No “gentle sedation” for all the millions of animals slaughtered everyday.

vegansrock Wed 01-Sep-21 12:48:17

I’m not defending the importation or breeding of alpacas for meat or wool or the pet trade - I’ve no idea what Geronimo’s owner’s business plan was. Neither do I defend the intensive industrialised farming of cattle, conditions in which many are kept leads to the growth of transmittable diseases such as TB. Economic concerns have meant that effective vaccines have not been used, despite their availability. Defra are not to be trusted to be impartial in this case - their MO is to make up the rules and follow them inflexibly, which is my main concern in this case, They would not allow independent testing and now will not allow independent observers at the post mortem. If this animal had had TB for 4 years one wouldn’t expect it to be healthy for 4 years. Just as well they don’t apply the same rules to humans who have TB - oh no, they will be treated and there is a vaccine. Killing one animal does not “save” hundreds more - cows are on their way to the abattoir sooner or later anyway once they’ve lived out their money making life - frequently impregnated, having their calves removed and half of the calves killed on the spot, over milked , then shoved onto trucks driven miles, prodded with electric rods to get them into the kill line…