Gransnet forums

News & politics

Child abuse in religious organisations

(21 Posts)
theworriedwell Sat 04-Sep-21 19:15:03

BlueBelle

If there was sufficient punishment it may not be so prevalent
I once attended a trial with a young lady her case was lost because she couldn’t remember precise dates she was abused all she knew that it was on the nights her mum went to work but they expected her as an adult to remember dates and times it happened as a small child, it was heartbreaking because she thought if she put up with it he wouldn’t bother her younger sister but as an adult she found out it happened to the younger sibling as well . Her step father got off

I know of a case like that but when the father started on the younger child the older one killed him. Very sad case.

M0nica Sat 04-Sep-21 17:30:33

I do not think it is anymore prevalent in religious groups than it has been in boarding schools or care homes. In both settings it seems to have been rife, especially as the children were away from home with little or no access to their families. They were captives, like animals in a zoo.

BlueBelle Sat 04-Sep-21 17:28:55

If there was sufficient punishment it may not be so prevalent
I once attended a trial with a young lady her case was lost because she couldn’t remember precise dates she was abused all she knew that it was on the nights her mum went to work but they expected her as an adult to remember dates and times it happened as a small child, it was heartbreaking because she thought if she put up with it he wouldn’t bother her younger sister but as an adult she found out it happened to the younger sibling as well . Her step father got off

welbeck Sat 04-Sep-21 16:47:15

i think abuse is particularly prevalent in religious groups partly because there is often a tradition of deference as part of the religious ethos.
being meek. and forgiving.
i don't think its just that paedophiles are attracted to these settings/professions. though that does certainly happen.
but it is so widespread, that if say there are a percentage of people, overwhelmingly men, who would do such things, the same proportion is found in religious settings.
and it's easier to get away with it.

Lincslass Sat 04-Sep-21 16:44:47

Too many of these allowed to operate as well. Really despair re this country and child abuse, too much religion allowed to override the laws of the land.
humanists.uk/2021/09/02/child-sexual-abuse-inquiry-raises-serious-alarm-about-illegal-schools/

Ilovecheese Sat 04-Sep-21 16:41:22

You are right about that JaneJudge.

JaneJudge Sat 04-Sep-21 16:32:13

I think we have to change adults attitudes too, especially wrt teen girls. There are still lots of people (inc professionals) who still try and blame teen girls for older males behaviour towards them.

theworriedwell Sat 04-Sep-21 16:31:49

M0nica

Paedophiles will take any opportunity they can to prey on children. What all these inquiries show is how endemic the problem is throughout society, whether religious organistations, social services, schools, youth organisations, within families as well. Anywhere children are subservient to adults can be dangerous.

The only solution is for children to be brought up to be willing to tell other adults when anyone acts in a way that makes them scared or uncomfortable. parents must talk openly at home. the matter should be addressed in schools.

Too often one hears of families, where still today parents are embarrassed if children, even young children ask about how babies are made, or why someone behaves a certain way and seem to think that ignorance is bliss.

I agree with you and all children need someone who is safe to confide in.

I had to smile when I read the last paragraph. I thought about when one of my children asked about babies. He thought about it and then said, "You wouldn't trust dad though, I think it would be better to get a doctor to do it." Particularly funny as our GP delivered him, home delivery, and always referred to him as one of his own.

theworriedwell Sat 04-Sep-21 16:27:47

Hithere

Traditonally religious authorities justify and hide sexual abusers.

It has been an issue for multiple religions for ages

Doesn't the same thing go for lots of organisations? There have been scandals in England about football and a big case in the USA about the young gymnasts. Entertainment hasn't got away with it either. I don't think it is something particularly linked to religious organisations, it is linked to human beings.

Hithere Sat 04-Sep-21 16:21:09

Traditonally religious authorities justify and hide sexual abusers.

It has been an issue for multiple religions for ages

BlueBelle Sat 04-Sep-21 15:55:35

Thankfully the days are gone when they could hide behind the facade of religion are you sure timetogo

Mollygo Sat 04-Sep-21 15:53:49

Sorry, the teaching is happening more in schools!

Mollygo Sat 04-Sep-21 15:53:15

M0nica, your middle paragraph is of particular importance. As a governor, I attended a safeguarding course last week and part of it involved teaching children exactly what you wrote. It is happening more in schools. Home is a different matter and harder to ensure.
Perhaps it should be an obligatory part of youth organisations, whether as simple as the NSPCC Pantosaurus song and video, or something more direct as they get older.

WhiteRabbit57 Sat 04-Sep-21 11:58:13

I was brought up in the Plymouth Brethren. Even as a small child I sensed things were 'not right' and that many of the men, (and one woman) were 'weird.'

When I was six 'Uncle Sid', as he was affectionately known, used to play 'hide and seek' in the car park in front of all the parents after the service. He never 'tagged' me but always caught me by the chest where he had a good squeeze.

In those days, people didn't know about child abuse, these people got away with it in plain sight.

With the level of what was going on, in any other organisation you can name, the whole thing would have been closed down, lock, stock and barrel.

Instead, it's been covered up and, for that, shame on every single person who let this happen and continues to do so.

M0nica Sat 04-Sep-21 11:44:56

Paedophiles will take any opportunity they can to prey on children. What all these inquiries show is how endemic the problem is throughout society, whether religious organistations, social services, schools, youth organisations, within families as well. Anywhere children are subservient to adults can be dangerous.

The only solution is for children to be brought up to be willing to tell other adults when anyone acts in a way that makes them scared or uncomfortable. parents must talk openly at home. the matter should be addressed in schools.

Too often one hears of families, where still today parents are embarrassed if children, even young children ask about how babies are made, or why someone behaves a certain way and seem to think that ignorance is bliss.

adaunas Sat 04-Sep-21 10:49:05

The most shocking thing is that it’s still allowed to go on.
The report mentions religious organisations prioritising their own reputations. This is a huge barrier to getting things done. Mention of Catholic occurrences of abuse including at Bindoon Boys Town have been known for a long time but evidence from other C of E abuses hit the headlines when we moved in the late 1980s. No surprise to learn it applies to all religions.
So what will happen now? A flood of evidence of abuse kept private for decades may help those who have had to keep silent.
The religious institutions are cited in this report as putting protection of children at the roots of their religious traditions-but that hasn’t meant much up till now for those who have been abused, has it?

timetogo2016 Sat 04-Sep-21 09:28:04

Thankfully the days are gone when they could hide behind the facade of religion.
I hope they get their comeuppance who ever and where ever they are.
It`s shocking how many childrens lives have been broken by these vile evil people.

MerylStreep Fri 03-Sep-21 16:51:27

What’s the point of enquiries? They only confirm what we already know ?
But I suppose someone makes money from them.

25Avalon Fri 03-Sep-21 13:38:49

Yes religious organisations have moved priests on rather than face up to their wrongdoings but it is coming back to bite them and not before time too. It is beyond belief how many children have been permitted to suffer for the sake of the status quo. These organisations have no right to call themselves religious. That’s the last thing they are.

vampirequeen Fri 03-Sep-21 13:00:48

Paedophiles will put themselves in any situation they can in order to access children. Unfortunately these creatures are usually brilliant actors. So they play the role of priest, vicar, pastor, rabbi, imam etc. to perfection. This means that they have two layers of protection if a child discloses the abuse as the congregation often can't imagine such a wonderful man doing such a thing so accuse the victim of lying and the religious organisation often simply moves the perpetrator on to another area/country where he can continue to predate on innocent children rather than risk damaging the reputation of the church, mosque, synagogue etc.

varian Fri 03-Sep-21 12:06:02

This report is utterly shocking. It follows on the revelations of serious child abuse in the Roman Catholic Church and the Church of England.

www.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/02/millions-children-religious-groups-vulnerable-abuse-england-and-wales