Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Starmer finally getting his team together to fight back?

(195 Posts)
PippaZ Thu 09-Sep-21 11:03:43

Yesterday Keir Starmer was his usual self, knowledgable, patient with childlike behaviour, and cutting to the truth.

But I found Rachel Reeves (Shadow Chancellor), came up with all I could want and I wasn't the only one to notice. Paul Waugh, in his Huffpost email, was full of praise for the double act.

Starmer made all the right points. He cannily picked up on the fact that Johnson’s new plan would not only breach his manifesto pledges on tax, but it would also even breach his manifesto pledge on social care.

He did comment that it lacked drama. Something I think many of us have been hoping for and not seen. But then came Rachel Reeves. After a lack-lustre performance from Jesse Norman who tried to convince the Tory MPs that black is white and that this was very much a Tory policy in she stepped.

She used the soundbites Johnson et all are so well known for. When talking about the NHS and care workers she shouted over the Tories “last year the public clapped them, this year the Tories taxed them”. My heart began to lift a little.

Shouting successfully over the Tory pantomime she called out “this unfair, job taxing, manifesto-shredding, tax bombshell”. This sounded like politics, sometimes condemned, but in this instance getting over what many have seen to be the case.

She even did a "Johnson" and had the Labour MPs yelling ‘No!’ after a string of questions on the government's plan’s flaws, one of which had been handed to her by Sajid Javid’s blustering meets with the media: “Will it clear the NHS backlog this parliament? No! called back the opposition "And the health secretary says no.” she carefully added.

Great though it was to see the heart back in the LP she also filled out a little of what Starmer had hinted at re the Labour Party Plans. Starmer's agreement with ex-Chancellor Osbourne's "those with the broadest shoulders" widened out to "those who get their income from financial assets, stocks and shares, sales of property, pension income, annuity income, interest income, property rental income, inheritance income". As Paul Waugh noted, this list may be long enough to raise the money needed and do away with this iniquitous levy.

Those who are left or left-leaning please watch this speech. It may be a landmark; at the very least it will raise your spirits I think.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000zkst/house-of-commons-08092021 - 08/09/2021 at about 1:15:10 in.

Ilovecheese Thu 09-Sep-21 11:21:49

But Labour M.P.s shouting out "no" is just as childish as Tory M.Ps shouting.

Glad she gave some more information of what could be Labour's intentions,

"finanancial assets, stocks and shares, sales of property, pension income, annuity income, interest income, property rental income, inheritance income"

That would be a much fairer solution.

But this is the same Rachel Reeves who wanted to cut benefit payments even more than the Tories.
I can't take what she says now seriously because of what she said in the past. How do I get over that?

PippaZ Thu 09-Sep-21 11:36:01

You may think it childish Ilovecheese but at least they were shouting it in reply to the truth.

Parliament is what it is - did you watch it? I think it's hard to comment on something you haven't seen, especially if you start with a prejudice against the speaker, which then stops you from listening to the speech. All you are commenting on, in that instance, is what you thought previously not where we are now.

Watching it and then explaining why you still feel prejudiced (or not) against what she is saying would be more relevant.

growstuff Thu 09-Sep-21 11:40:17

Ilovecheese

Glad she gave some more information of what could be Labour's intentions,

"finanancial assets, stocks and shares, sales of property, pension income, annuity income, interest income, property rental income, inheritance income"

That would be a much fairer solution.

But this is the same Rachel Reeves who wanted to cut benefit payments even more than the Tories.
I can't take what she says now seriously because of what she said in the past. How do I get over that?

If you vote Conservative, I would have thought you'd have had plenty of practice in getting over broken pledges and U-turns.

growstuff Thu 09-Sep-21 11:43:59

By the way, what objection do you have to any politician saying that his/her government won't let people linger on benefits? I don't think many people believe that people should be able to opt out of work and receive state funding for doing nothing.

Ilovecheese Thu 09-Sep-21 11:51:06

A) I don't vote Conservative
B) Some people are unable to work and some people are unable to find work, particularly people with disabilities. I don't suppose they want to "linger" on benefits, but how else would they live. We are supposed to have a welfare state that looks after those in need, without judgement.

I want to support Labour, but am finding it hard at the moment, because of past statements.

MaizieD Thu 09-Sep-21 11:52:49

It's Parliament as performance, as it mostly is when they're all there for PMQs and big debates. It's to impress the non thinking public.

I can't get over her past comments on welfare payments either. And I'm deeply suspicious that being an ex Bank of England economist, she might hold to the neoliberal 'national economy works like a household economy' stance. Which is absolutely untrue but plays to the 'how are you going to afford it?' angle pushed by the right wing press when they critique Labour spending plans. And forces Labour into trying to prove that they can 'balance the budget'.

Labour should at the least be pushing the Keynesian 'spend your way out of a recession' and demonstrating how state spending lifts the economy through increased consumer and state spending driving private enterprise activity and higher returns from taxation. Educating the public, not kow towing to the media..

This is interesting, though. Richard Murphy points out that tories were forecasting raising £104 billion of QE for this financial year, of which they have used just £78 billion. Why can't they use some of the remaining £26 to cover their NHS spending plans?

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2021/09/07/the-government-has-borrowed-26-billion-less-this-financial-year-than-it-forecast-in-march-so-what-is-the-10-billion-nic-increase-all-about/

Zoejory Thu 09-Sep-21 11:54:53

I think Labour's chances will improve once Starmer has gone.

He's not popular with many Labour voters. I work with many of them. They find him dull and robotic. And rather lacking in character

What is needed is someone with a modicum of charisma. And no, I'm not a Conservative voter either.

patient with childlike behaviour, Had to read this twice. I thought you were saying that Starmer was patient with childlike behaviour. Didn't realise you meant the opposition's childlike behaviour at first .

growstuff Thu 09-Sep-21 12:02:42

Ilovecheese

A) I don't vote Conservative
B) Some people are unable to work and some people are unable to find work, particularly people with disabilities. I don't suppose they want to "linger" on benefits, but how else would they live. We are supposed to have a welfare state that looks after those in need, without judgement.

I want to support Labour, but am finding it hard at the moment, because of past statements.

Try searching for what Reeves actually said and the context, not what she is reported to have said.

JaneJudge Thu 09-Sep-21 12:05:04

If Kier Starmer is a robot, is Boris Johnson a malfunctioning one?

growstuff Thu 09-Sep-21 12:09:27

Maizie Andy Haldane, the BoE's outgoing Chief Economist knows very well that the national economy doesn't work like a household budget. Unless you know otherwise, I wouldn't assume that Reeves thinks any differently. The BoE isn't responsible for austerity.

MaizieD Thu 09-Sep-21 12:11:08

What is needed is someone with a modicum of charisma.

They had Corbyn, who must have had some charisma the way he could enthuse large crowds, and now we have Johnson, who is claimed to have oodles of charisma,(though I don't see it myself). They didn't vote for the first and hate the second. Perhaps intelligent and competent might have more appeal than people think?

Oddly enough, the Guardian did a piece on Mark Drakeford yesterday (or Monday, I forget which) lauding him for the very qualities which people seem to dislike in Starmer. Yet Drakeford appears to be popular...

ayse Thu 09-Sep-21 12:12:29

Zoejory

He's not popular with many Labour voters. I work with many of them. They find him dull and robotic. And rather lacking in character

What is needed is someone with a modicum of charisma. And no, I'm not a Conservative voter either.

patient with childlike behaviour, Had to read this twice. I thought you were saying that Starmer was patient with childlike behaviour. Didn't realise you meant the opposition's childlike behaviour at first .

I do hope so. He’s rather lack lustre. I’d like to know just what their policies will be.

I’d like a prospective government that didn’t over promise in their manifesto and came forward with well thought out plans for improvement.

It’s time Johnson et al stopped blaming Labour for all the ills in this country. I believe but I may be wrong that since WW2 the Conservatives have been in office for more years than Labour.

It’s about time someone gave our c**p government a roasting.

MaizieD Thu 09-Sep-21 12:15:30

growstuff

Maizie Andy Haldane, the BoE's outgoing Chief Economist knows very well that the national economy doesn't work like a household budget. Unless you know otherwise, I wouldn't assume that Reeves thinks any differently. The BoE isn't responsible for austerity.

I always get the impression that Haldane is a bit of a maverick in his thinking...

Indeed, the BoE does know all about money creation, they even explain it on their website, but I feel that they favour 'balanced budgets' and control of the money supply via interest rates. They certainly followed neolib economics over the past decade.

I can't see Labour deviating from that.

growstuff Thu 09-Sep-21 12:15:41

Reeves has a better understanding of economics, including Keynesianism than almost any MP.

www.rachelreevesmp.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/96/2020/09/374425087-Rachel-Reeves-The-Everyday-Economy-1.pdf

growstuff Thu 09-Sep-21 12:19:59

MaizieD

growstuff

I always get the impression that Haldane is a bit of a maverick in his thinking...

Indeed, the BoE does know all about money creation, they even explain it on their website, but I feel that they favour 'balanced budgets' and control of the money supply via interest rates. They certainly followed neolib economics over the past decade.

I can't see Labour deviating from that.

Have you met him or heard him speak? I have and he is certainly no neolib. Yes, he is a bit of a maverick, which is probably why he wasn't selected as governor. Reeves was an economist, so she would almost certainly have been in the same team as Haldane, who didn't always agree with the rest of the committee.

MaizieD Thu 09-Sep-21 12:36:22

who didn't always agree with the rest of the committee.

Precisely, growstuff

So what happens if we have higher inflation than forecast and the BoE want to raise interest rates but a Labour government wants to damp it down through taxation?

The neolib message is that tax increases are Bad (they are having a bit of a problem with Johnson, though, aren't they?) but Labour can't paint itself as the party of low taxation because it would be foolishly limiting. They need another approach, another narrative about the purpose of taxation, but unless they can convince the public of its purpose, they're sunk every time by the enduring myth of tory competence and Labour spendthrifts...

PippaZ Thu 09-Sep-21 12:37:46

ayse

Zoejory

I do hope so. He’s rather lack lustre. I’d like to know just what their policies will be.

I’d like a prospective government that didn’t over promise in their manifesto and came forward with well thought out plans for improvement.

It’s time Johnson et al stopped blaming Labour for all the ills in this country. I believe but I may be wrong that since WW2 the Conservatives have been in office for more years than Labour.

It’s about time someone gave our c**p government a roasting.

I doubt we will know the exact policies until just before the next election but I agree, it is good to see some meat on the bone.

Grany Fri 10-Sep-21 10:26:00

I don't like Starmer he is deceitful getting rid of the wrong type of Jews who support Palestine.

Here is Sultana giving a speech about Islamaphobia twitter.com/_Bleam/status/1436206096566398979?s=20

Contrast that with an interview Starmer gave He couldn't say that there should be a wealth tax even though prompted to give an answer.
twitter.com/Dovepetalchile/status/1436044227276853256?s=20

Anniebach Fri 10-Sep-21 10:30:44

Is there ‘the wrong type of Jews’, ?

Grany Fri 10-Sep-21 10:37:36

Anniebach

Is there ‘the wrong type of Jews’, ?

Yes Annie those that support Palestine are seen by Starmer and Evens as the wrong type of Jew

Anniebach Fri 10-Sep-21 10:49:42

Did Starmer say those vile words ‘ the wrong type of Jews? ‘

Grany Fri 10-Sep-21 10:51:51

No Starmer said he is a Zionist without qualification.

www.doubledown.news/watch/2020/25/november/meet-the-wrong-type-of-jew-the-media-doesnt-want-you-to-know-labour-corbyn-antisemitism

MayBee70 Fri 10-Sep-21 10:53:53

MaizieD

^What is needed is someone with a modicum of charisma.^

They had Corbyn, who must have had some charisma the way he could enthuse large crowds, and now we have Johnson, who is claimed to have oodles of charisma,(though I don't see it myself). They didn't vote for the first and hate the second. Perhaps intelligent and competent might have more appeal than people think?

Oddly enough, the Guardian did a piece on Mark Drakeford yesterday (or Monday, I forget which) lauding him for the very qualities which people seem to dislike in Starmer. Yet Drakeford appears to be popular...

Maybe it would be better if Keir was older. Because he’s young’ish perhaps people feel he should be all energetic and shouty? imo, if Keir doesn’t become PM this country will, yet again be missing out on someone who could have been a great PM. When did the electorate start to expect PM’s to be stand up comedians? Was it Johnson’s appearance on HIGNFY that started it?

Anniebach Fri 10-Sep-21 11:41:40

So Grany ‘wrong type of Jews’ are your shameful words , in my opinion you are ‘the wrong type of Labour Party supporter’.

Anti semitism is still in the party